Board index PBase Questions and Answers Jump in storage space usage

Questions and Answers

Jump in storage space usage

Ask if you need help using PBase.
asianodyssey

Re: Jump in storage space usage

Post Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:27 pm

Free trial accounts should be culled more often, but these accounts only take up 10mb each. However I agree with Pbase's policy of maintaining expired accounts so that if a former paid up Pbase member passes away their friends or relatives can still view their pictures.
Last edited by asianodyssey on Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

pinemikey

Post Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:24 pm

I kind of like the way Pbase keeps up the galleries of deceased former members. It is nice to be treated like a person instead of another number. Does anyone here think the bog box photosites care if you are dead or alive? Not bloody likely.

I'm now over my limit, too. I was keeping it under 1500MB and was waiting for the delete to come back so I can start cutting out some images. Tough decisions but it's also good to keep the galleries fresh. I'm figuring I can always send some galleries and images to some free image storage site. Esnips gives you 5 GB and Picasa gives 1 GB, I think. Flickr is not much good as it limits you to 200 images on a free account, unless that has changed.

jehan
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:02 am

Thank you for all the emails alerting us to this problem. I have informed Emily of problem. We understand that many members want to stay under a certain amount of MB for price reasons, and were doing so prior to our downtime. Once I receive a response AND we know how it will be rectified, I will post here.

mikelong

Post Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:28 am

Jehan, have you considered taking over pbase? I'm sure the board of directors would approve.

Please?

marcjosef

Post Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:57 pm

:D Good thing I found this thread. I thought I forgot to delete some originals in a gallery that I couldn't find :lol: My space usage jumped up 100mb from previous usage.

mbaumser

Post Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:05 pm

Considering the drops in HD storage and what other online galleries are charging, Wouldn't it just be easiest for Pbase to just give us all 1gb for the $23/year?

Zenfolio gives you 1gb for every year. I'd be up to around 5 gb for $25 if I had started with them.

marc

1designguy

Post Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:13 pm

Glad to find this. I thought I might have been an anomaly. Jumped from just at the 500 threshold up to 526. Had a month left to consider renewing. Jump in cost would likely sway me away. I had already started trying to thin out my images/galleries here.

I agree that 500 Megs is low. 1Gig would be a nice point.

carrhighlander

Post Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:32 pm

An update to the issue.
http://www.pbase.com/message.html

asianodyssey

Post Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:28 am

I too think PBase should increase the allowance to 1gb for $23.

zak355

Post Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:43 am

I noticed mine was higher since after the breakdown but when the calculation was done last night it got even higher!? :shock:

asianodyssey

Post Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:38 am

The storage space usage stats on my profile page have just reverted back to the pre-breakdown level.

mbaumser

Post Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:09 am

asianodyssey wrote:The storage space usage stats on my profile page have just reverted back to the pre-breakdown level.

Mine too.

ralf

Post Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:43 pm

asianodyssey wrote:The storage space usage stats on my profile page have just reverted back to the pre-breakdown level.
Mine has been showing "Calculating current usage" for the past two days.... Gallery edit pages have been showing the same (higher) number the profile page was showing before it started calculating.

amjones

Post Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:14 pm

Mine has jumped from 270mb to 1038mb!

1designguy

Post Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:46 pm

amjones wrote:Mine has jumped from 270mb to 1038mb!

Really??? 10,136 images were only taking up 270mb? I have less than 3,500 taking up just at 500mb with all of the originals recompressed and sizing them at about 800 pixels on the wide edge. What is your trick?

PreviousNext

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Jump in storage space usage