Board index PBase Questions and Answers Jump in storage space usage

Questions and Answers

Jump in storage space usage

Ask if you need help using PBase.
asianodyssey

Jump in storage space usage

Post Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:11 am

Since PBase's (partial) recovery a few days ago my photo storage space usage has inexplicably jumped from 861 to 926 Megabytes. Has anyone else noticed this?
Last edited by asianodyssey on Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

soenda

Re: Jump in storage space usage

Post Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:24 am

Yes, I noticed that my usage suddenly went up from 483M to 506M. I'm sure it's a fluke.

asianodyssey

Post Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:28 am

That's no fluke. Maybe they have implemented a new calculation methodology.

isolaverde

Post Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:48 am

asianodyssey wrote:That's no fluke. Maybe they have implemented a new calculation methodology.

Possibly one that counts the S, M and L sized image files, as well as Originals?

ralf

Post Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:56 pm

isolaverde wrote:Possibly one that counts the S, M and L sized image files, as well as Originals?

That seemed to have been the case immediately after PBase came back up (my total jumped from 1990MB to 2444MB and reported average size went from 92K to 112K), but it has since dropped most of the way back (2063MB and 94K average). It may now be counting the total of allocated disk space for the uploaded files rather than the actual file sizes.

mbaumser

Post Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:53 pm

Yes my usage jumped from about 487mb before to 500mb after

Maybe it's away for pbase to pay for the new equipment. Now I'll be charged two units per month instead of the previous one unit.

Marc

michaelsv

Post Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:46 pm

Same here. My usage just bumped from September by 70 MB and average size from 122 to 129.

PBase admins any explanations to that?

gaocus

Post Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:05 pm

Jumped here too. It crossed a boundary for me - I am now paid up for 7 months rather than 14 - not insignificant! I was trying to keep it below 500MB, but it jumped from 490 to about 525.

madlights

Post Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:53 pm

I had thought I was seeing things...mine jumped by about 40mb...yeah it would be more serious if I was near my 500mb like some are. At first I had thought my pics seemed a little clearer, but not sure....maybe they are using a different compression? But I doubt it, and probably thought they seemed clearer because I hadn't seen them in such a long time :wink: I also lost 30,000 page views on my root gallery page, but not my others, not that I care...it's just a bit strange.

andrys

Post Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:35 pm

I think that may be because minimum file allocation spaces are different on different kinds of disks and operating systems/versions.

I imagine they may want to redo the way they calculate price and allocated space. Mine went up too, from 876 to 921 after the move. Time to cull.

andrys

Post Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:46 pm

On the other hand I wish they'd get rid of all the many sites that have been abandoned that are taking space while PBase gets no payment for those.

asianodyssey

Post Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:57 pm

I suspect the cost of maintaining no longer actively used accounts is insignificant in the scheme of things, what with the fall in price of server storage space in recent times.

andrys

Post Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:00 pm

asianodyssey wrote:I think the cost of maintaining no longer actively used accounts is insignificant in the scheme of things, with the massive drop in price of server storage space in recent years.

I was actually speaking to the fact that many of us are going over the edge to twice the payment for what we have. If server storage space allocations cause that, then I think it would be time to get rid of whatever they think is too much storage space used and I would think those paying zero for years should not take up the space that management apparently needs to charge more for, essentially.

asianodyssey

Post Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:18 pm

I am approaching a storage payment threshold but don't object to PBase's maintaining expired accounts as I don't think it would make any significant difference to their costs.
Last edited by asianodyssey on Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:09 pm, edited 9 times in total.

michaelsv

Post Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:19 pm

andrys wrote:
asianodyssey wrote:I think the cost of maintaining no longer actively used accounts is insignificant in the scheme of things, with the massive drop in price of server storage space in recent years.

I was actually speaking to the fact that many of us are going over the edge to twice the payment for what we have. If server storage space allocations cause that, then I think it would be time to get rid of whatever they think is too much storage space used and I would think those paying zero for years should not take up the space that management apparently needs to charge more for, essentially.

For that I agree. Non paying subscribers are sitting in their database and machines for years after expiration of trails. Other sites give you 14 days and after that your images are gone. Removing them, compacting database, removing their photos after a month of trail would speed up a system.

Next

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Jump in storage space usage