Board index PBase Questions and Answers What's Wrong with Alltime Pop Photo Gallery?

Questions and Answers

What's Wrong with Alltime Pop Photo Gallery?

Ask if you need help using PBase.
bobfloyd

Re: What's Wrong with Alltime Pop Photo Gallery?

Post Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:21 pm

akmc_in_au wrote:
I'm guessing that there's a process that needs to be run to "register" the votes. It clearly doesn't happen in real time, because I just voted for an image on the 7 day list which previously had 3 votes. When I re-queried the 7 day list... it still had 3 votes. If the process isn't being run it'd explain what we're seeing. (But I'm only guessing.)

The process has never been done in real time, at least not since I got here almost 4 years ago. When I started paying attention it was often just a 2 or 3 times a week thing but recently (up till 6 weeks ago or so) it was a daily thing that ran at some point overnight for those of us in the US or mid morning GMT. The votes are gathered in the database real time though. It is just the display gallery that only updates in a scheduled process.

In fact, until the recent changes that seem to seriously limit how many photos are displayed in the All Time and 90 Day galleries and the sudden sporadic nature of the update routine, I had been very happy with this feature on Pbase. It worked and was dependable even if a few vote traders have been abusing it.

sandiwhi

Post Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:48 pm

bobfloyd wrote:
akmc_in_au wrote:
I'm guessing that there's a process that needs to be run to "register" the votes. It clearly doesn't happen in real time, because I just voted for an image on the 7 day list which previously had 3 votes. When I re-queried the 7 day list... it still had 3 votes. If the process isn't being run it'd explain what we're seeing. (But I'm only guessing.)

The process has never been done in real time, at least not since I got here almost 4 years ago. When I started paying attention it was often just a 2 or 3 times a week thing but recently (up till 6 weeks ago or so) it was a daily thing that ran at some point overnight for those of us in the US or mid morning GMT. The votes are gathered in the database real time though. It is just the display gallery that only updates in a scheduled process.

In fact, until the recent changes that seem to seriously limit how many photos are displayed in the All Time and 90 Day galleries and the sudden sporadic nature of the update routine, I had been very happy with this feature on Pbase. It worked and was dependable even if a few vote traders have been abusing it.

I've been having ongoing discussions with pbase about Popular Photos being broken, for several weeks now. First, let me say that... HOORAY!... it appears to be fixed, and although behind with the current popular photos and the numbers are still low on the top page, it appears to be back on track. So we should see the numbers building on these more current photos that are showing up now. (Thank Pbase for fixing this!) Secondly, Pbase explained to me that there are filters that operate before pics can appear (not sure what they're filtering out). Apparently they take several days, so there is a lag from when we vote to when pics start appearing of 2-3 days.

Not to be ungrateful, but it would have been great if Pbase could have responeded a little faster to the problem. I notified them about this several weeks ago that some of my more popular pics weren't appearing at all, not even way down the list, so it must be broken. I'm sure many of us had pics passed over during this outage, never to be seen again in the populars (although hopefully in the 90 days). It was broken all during the holidays, so none of our pretty holiday pics surfaced either. Nevertheless... VERY glad and grateful to see it working again. I hope it's a sign of good things to come in 2009. Happy New Year Everyone! Sandi

bobfloyd

Post Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:52 pm

It does not appear that anything much as changed to me Sandi. The All Time photo gallery still does not show a single image with less than 100 votes and the 90 Day gallery does not show any images with less than 30 votes.

I will grant you that it appears that the 7 Day gallery is catching up but nothing else is working right.

hphdk

Post Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:35 pm

O.K. I had been writing directly to the staff at PBASE about the pop all time gallery problem. The simply dosen´t care.
All the paying pbase users do not sew any new features for a long time now. I and maybe many other users are looking for another place to show their pictures.
it is really pity - pbase is a great place with many great photographers.

Previous

Board index PBase Questions and Answers What's Wrong with Alltime Pop Photo Gallery?