Board index PBase Questions and Answers What's Wrong with Alltime Pop Photo Gallery?

Questions and Answers

What's Wrong with Alltime Pop Photo Gallery?

Ask if you need help using PBase.
bobfloyd

What's Wrong with Alltime Pop Photo Gallery?

Post Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:13 pm

The Alltime Pop Photo gallery just stops after 25 photos. Page 4 is the end for some reason. I checked the forums but did not find anything on it.

I know the staff at Pbase has likely heard this before and is maybe tired of hearing it but this is getting old. New features don't get finished, old features break. I am sure it can't be easy running a site that has the raw bulk of a huge photo sharing site but surely it can be done better than this.

soenda

Re: What's Wrong with Alltime Pop Photo Gallery?

Post Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:22 pm

Heaven knows staff have been asked often enough to speed things up. Perhaps pruning back these galleries has been part of their effort to do just that?

mongo69

Post Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:59 pm

The "recent" galleries are smaller/shorter as well! Cursious as to why. I'm thinking it's a speed issue as well.

pinemikey

Post Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:31 pm

Once again, I went to the supposedly "broken" page and got tired after clicking a dozen or so times. I then added to the address and eight more images came up when I typed,
Code: Select all
http://www.pbase.com/galleries?view=popular&row_start=8000&row_count=8&period=all

That's over 8000 images.

sbbish

Post Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:37 pm

pinemikey wrote:Once again, I went to the supposedly "broken" page and got tired after clicking a dozen or so times. I then added to the address and eight more images came up when I typed,
Code: Select all
http://www.pbase.com/galleries?view=popular&row_start=8000&row_count=8&period=all

That's over 8000 images.

You're looking at the Popular Galleries list. We're talking about the Popular Photos list.

Go here. http://www.pbase.com/galleries?view=popular_photos&period=all and click "Show Next 8". After four times, you'll reach the end.

The 90-day list also runs out after about 21 times of clicking "Show Next 8".

Scott

pinemikey

Post Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:58 pm

Sorry. Read it wrong. Yes, there are only supposedly 29 images available. In any case, maybe Pbase is looking at their own stats and a good way to cut back is to eliminate server searches on pages that are relatively viewed less than others.

Update: Just had another look and I noticed that the last image has 101 votes. Seems to me, Pbase reset the number of votes required for the all time list, thereby dropping off a bunch of images below the new requirement.

bobfloyd

Post Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:45 am

pinemikey wrote:Update: Just had another look and I noticed that the last image has 101 votes. Seems to me, Pbase reset the number of votes required for the all time list, thereby dropping off a bunch of images below the new requirement.

And do you know what? That would be somewhat ok if there were some sort of notice about it ANYWHERE on the site. But so far I have yet to find one and I have looked.

And even though it would be somewhat ok, I would still think it was pretty unprofessional to fix issues by cutting back on service. There are other ways to go about getting things done.

pinemikey

Post Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:21 pm

bobfloyd wrote:
pinemikey wrote:Update: Just had another look and I noticed that the last image has 101 votes. Seems to me, Pbase reset the number of votes required for the all time list, thereby dropping off a bunch of images below the new requirement.

And do you know what? That would be somewhat ok if there were some sort of notice about it ANYWHERE on the site. But so far I have yet to find one and I have looked.

And even though it would be somewhat ok, I would still think it was pretty unprofessional to fix issues by cutting back on service. There are other ways to go about getting things done.

Where have you been? I've been here 5 years and they've never done that. That's also five years of hearing comments from those who think how the site should be run. Well, I don't see them asking. Yeah, yeah...we all know better communication would be just dandy, but barring an website administration epiphany by Slug, this is what we're chucking our change for. Dozens of members have left because they felt it was unacceptable to them. Even more have stayed because at the end of the day, I don't need to communicate with the admins, all I want is to upload and play around with my Pbase galleries and chat and exchange ideas with like minded Pbase members. Who knows why there are now only 25 most popular photos? I'm only speculating....that's the common Pbase spectator sport - guessing what was done, why was it done and what's next.

bobfloyd

Post Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:56 pm

It does not make any difference where I have been or what has been done in the past. Just because things have always been that way does not mean that they cannot or should not change.

It appears that the Alltime pop photo gallery has been redefined as any photo with 100 votes or more.
It also appears that the 90 Day pop photo gallery has been redefined as any photo with 30 votes or more.

I guess the only question now is whether or not this a permanent change or if it has been done temporarily as a way to improve performance. Can anyone from Pbase answer that?

bassrock

Post Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:17 pm

bobfloyd wrote:I guess the only question now is whether or not this a permanent change or if it has been done temporarily as a way to improve performance. Can anyone from Pbase answer that?

Well, here is my answer. There has been no significant improvement in performance on PBase, so whether that was the intended reason or not, it has provided no benefit to the users - sorry the paying customers and clients - of this site. This is a poor move by Slug.

sandiwhi

Post Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:20 pm

Not only are these galleries stopping short, but many recent photos that I suspect are receiving votes are not appearing. I haven't had one of my new well-commented and perhaps well voted (no way to tell) pics appear for some time now. And it's holiday time and none of the holiday pics I've seen pbasers posting are appearing either. The top pics now only have a few votes, where they normally have 30-50 votes and have votes months back. Nothing new appears to be happening, or at least, not consistently. I know it's the holiday season, but I doubt that everyone's pics are only getting 4-6 votes this last week. I've emailed pbase about this several times in reference to some of my pics with 30 and 40 comments, and I suspect quite a few votes, that have never appeared or replaced my much older pics. Anyone else noticing this?

kstuebin

Post Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:13 pm

sandiwhi wrote:Not only are these galleries stopping short, but many recent photos that I suspect are receiving votes are not appearing. I haven't had one of my new well-commented and perhaps well voted (no way to tell) pics appear for some time now. And it's holiday time and none of the holiday pics I've seen pbasers posting are appearing either. The top pics now only have a few votes, where they normally have 30-50 votes and have votes months back. Nothing new appears to be happening, or at least, not consistently. I know it's the holiday season, but I doubt that everyone's pics are only getting 4-6 votes this last week. I've emailed pbase about this several times in reference to some of my pics with 30 and 40 comments, and I suspect quite a few votes, that have never appeared or replaced my much older pics. Anyone else noticing this?

Yes, I did notice and wonder about why the top photos had so few votes unlike the past. I also noticed photos I voted for and other people said they voted for were not there.

I assume this means voting is now a useless feature along with search?

dominiccantin

Post Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:51 am

To avoid click after click after click ;) just replace the number 8 by 100 ( max allowed ) in the url.
Here's an example :

http://www.pbase.com/galleries?view= popular_photos&row_start=1&row_count=100&period=7

In the all time , only 22 pictures appear !

Dom :)

dougj

Post Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:30 am

There is a thread concerning a change in the 'recently updated' galleries, the list is a lot smaller than it used to be. An admin commented in the thread that this was a recent change to improve performance, perhaps this is related.

akmc_in_au

Post Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:13 pm

kstuebin wrote:
sandiwhi wrote:Not only are these galleries stopping short, but many recent photos that I suspect are receiving votes are not appearing. I haven't had one of my new well-commented and perhaps well voted (no way to tell) pics appear for some time now. And it's holiday time and none of the holiday pics I've seen pbasers posting are appearing either. The top pics now only have a few votes, where they normally have 30-50 votes and have votes months back. Nothing new appears to be happening, or at least, not consistently. I know it's the holiday season, but I doubt that everyone's pics are only getting 4-6 votes this last week. I've emailed pbase about this several times in reference to some of my pics with 30 and 40 comments, and I suspect quite a few votes, that have never appeared or replaced my much older pics. Anyone else noticing this?

Yes, I did notice and wonder about why the top photos had so few votes unlike the past. I also noticed photos I voted for and other people said they voted for were not there.

I'm guessing that there's a process that needs to be run to "register" the votes. It clearly doesn't happen in real time, because I just voted for an image on the 7 day list which previously had 3 votes. When I re-queried the 7 day list... it still had 3 votes. If the process isn't being run it'd explain what we're seeing. (But I'm only guessing.)

kstuebin wrote:I assume this means voting is now a useless feature along with search?

Not a happy thought...

Next

Board index PBase Questions and Answers What's Wrong with Alltime Pop Photo Gallery?