Board index PBase Questions and Answers Slug, It Is TIME To Make Everyone Payup...

Questions and Answers

Slug, It Is TIME To Make Everyone Payup...

Ask if you need help using PBase.
dalboz

Post Mon Sep 01, 2003 4:04 pm

minoltaman wrote:I say keep the family albums on yahoo or aol or something. I don't come to pbase to look at other peoples family photo's.

Unless I'm mistaken, pBase is about sharing photos. Not just with other photographers, but with the entire 'net. There is NO WAY I am about to sign up with satan's minions of doom (MSN, Yahoo, AOL) to share photos, or even to share "half" my photos and put the "better" ones on pBase. My photos may not be the most artsy, but they're here for people to be able to see 'em. Moreso my friends and family, and THEY'RE the reason I paid up.
-Matt

thresholdprod

Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 4:53 am

I happen to enjoy looking at people's photos of their families and normal lives.Its a different world from which I live in.Even the snapshots of different parts of the country can seem a world away for the difference.I'm all for sharing all the photos not just the 1 or 2 that are the best out of a 100 or so. Because part of it is the "you can never judge your own work" complex. I have many photos(of the same style/event) I think are crap that have high hit counts while shots that I'm very proud of have low counts. No accounting for taste......

Now on to the subject of the people with 1000+ photos that aren't paid up. They should diffently start being reeled in.

Bill
Bill Freeman
"A picture may be worth a thousand words, but usually consumes the bandwidth of more than two thousand." --Gym Quirk
Many great words of wisdom and advice http://www.pbase.com/help http://pbasewiki.srijith.net/

halinhi

Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:28 am

My 2cents: took a quick look at non-paying users w/ over 1000 images. Most didn't upload images after Feb '03, probably after Slug's notice of switching to paysite. Though, noticed one non-paying user, s*******, w/ 5,557 images & 93,151 hits who was still uploading up to 8/22/03. After culling as many of my images as possible & only uploading smaller images to save on space (in 200M paid space), admittedly frustrating to see this.

Guest12345anonymous

Post Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:51 am

Well, I read through most of this and I don't know what to think.

I came to this site to see about setting up a new account, paid.

I have never used pBase. I am looking for a RELIABLE, WELL-RUN, IMAGE HOST for my photos. I stress the word reliable. No red Xs. No running out of bandwidth. No problems. Smooth.

Now I'm getting the impression that it isn't so well-run, that I could be wasting my money and get lots of little red X's instead of photos, because the owner of pBase doesn't delete old photos and old accounts and force people who apparently have GONE FOR A YEAR WITHOUT PAYING !! to pay. Cripes, what am I supposed to think? I'm 45 years old and too old for this crap. And this guy doesn't even log IP addresses to prevent abuse of the system?

Somebody tell me this has been fixed. Otherwise I'm going elsewhere.

I also have questions about privacy. I read the privacy policy. However, NOWHERE could I find anything that talks about if you can make your gallery entirely PRIVATE so that NO ONE BUT MYSELF CAN VIEW IT.

I want to be as anonymous on here as possible.

But if paid accounts have problems, and all of these problems listed haven't been taken care of when this thread was started Aug. 18 and it is now Sept. 6 ... THE OWNER OF THIS SITE SHOULD HAVE ACTED ON THIS IMMEDIATLEY.

AS IT IS, HE HAS ME QUESTIONING WHETHER PBASE IS A GOOD PLACE FOR PAYING MEMBERS TO BE.

Should I join under these circumstances, when none of the above issues have been fixed?

Have these members who haven't paid for a year had to pay up yet? What is the status on this??????!!!!!

It certainly isn't fair for those who do pay! I see paying members in this thread complaining, and nothing being done about it! I don't see the owner jumping in here, posting that he will fix things! That is what he should have done on the first page!

As a guest visiting your site, trying to determine a reliable image host, this has me feeling very shaky.

trrsranch

Guest12345anonymous, I think your questions have been

Post Sun Sep 07, 2003 1:19 am

Guest12345anonymous, I think your questions have been answered, hopefully to your satisfaction. Most of us who pay have used Pbase for 1-2 years and other than an ocassional glitch (which is usually taken care of quickly) we are all very satisfied. Pbase is so much more versatile and easy to use compared to other sites. Also most of the other sites have started charging also and they have far more glitches than Pbase does and they don't have an owner who takes responsibility on a daily basis. Most of the freebies here should be eliminated in the next few days or will have paid up and then Pbase will run even smoother than it already is. As for upload speed, Pbase runs circles around other sites. When I have a bunch to upload, I can do so in just minutes. A fast and easy way to do this is to have one of your pages (albums) for nothing other than uploading. This way you don't have to wait for a couple hundred photos to reload. Then when you get your photos uploaded you just check the little box to the side and designate which album each is to go to. I do 10 at a time so they stay in order. If you do more than 10 at a time they scatter all over that album which is then a real bummer trying to reorganize that album. Just keep it at 10 or less at a time.

Good luck to you and I hope you decide on Pbase. TRR

pixel_eye

Post Fri Sep 12, 2003 4:06 pm

This is a sore that gets opened time and time again - and some heated replies if you go back through the old forums.

I for one think it is time for Slug to enforce the "pay to stay" rule. I honestly don't know why he is so reluctant to start deleting accounts. I felt this was a worthy enough site to donate money before it became a condition of membership - it only took me a couple of months to decide.

I have been a bit lax in posting pictures but that is because my photography has taken a backseat recently. And when I return to dust off my gallery I find there is still mutterings about the "freeloaders" when I half expected it all to be sorted.

For what it is worth, a month is a good trial period for here - if after the month its not for you then fair enough. Bye Bye......

I haven't had a look at the members list recently but I expect I'll still find it chock-a-block full of non-payers, with 100's of images on PBase's servers. If Slug has a problem with deleting these accounts then give the job to a cold hearted ******* who has no feelings!!!
Volunteers form a queue to the right please!

---000--*U*--000---

dannyshoots

well heck...

Post Fri Sep 12, 2003 10:18 pm

Might as well put my two cents worth in. I love this site. I've been a member for a little over a year. It is certainly worth 23 smacks for the service it provides. Normally I don't experience down time, but there have been a few instances. If a service requires a payment, there should be a set time limit for that payment and immediate consequences for non-payment.

There, can I get 2 cents for that?

Danny

stainless

Post Sun Sep 14, 2003 6:49 pm

:?:
I have sent a check for payment to the address indicated. It was returned with a message that the addressee was not at that address. I have sent two emails for information regarding address.

Slug must not need the funding. He has a system which does not permit people to make a payment. I will not use PayPal for anything, and I will not supply a credit card to anyone who cannot even get their address correct. The check was a test - Slug and Pbase failed!!

hevezimj

Post Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:46 pm

Sorry to go against the thread originator, but I think a basic page with limited free stuff is good for this site.

If "free riders" are truly causing problems -- and I do not think they are at this point -- then maybe it would be time to clamp down.

But I think the basic free access is a good positive thing for PBase. I hope the paid customer "bell & whistles" keep getting better and better to attract and support the serious paying photogs who want to invest and keep PBase strong.

Matt

kuklabubs

Pay or leave

Post Sun Sep 28, 2003 8:58 pm

For those of us who gladly support pbase,the burden of carrying
all the deadwood of those who don't, is to much.Take out the
garbage and bring back the bandwidth.

Previous

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Slug, It Is TIME To Make Everyone Payup...