Board index PBase Questions and Answers Level of protection

Questions and Answers

Level of protection

Ask if you need help using PBase.
rtogog

Level of protection

Post Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:53 am

Hello,
Does PBase provide us level of protection to our images? I just want to know whether we can set degree of rights to our images other than full protection.
Many thanks,
RTogog

dang

Re: Level of protection

Post Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:49 am

rtogog wrote:Hello,
Does PBase provide us level of protection to our images? I just want to know whether we can set degree of rights to our images other than full protection.
Many thanks,
RTogog

Pbase doesn't control the rights to your photos, you do. In the profile "edit account settings" page, click "Appearance" and when the new window opens you'll see a box which is labeled "Copyright Statement". You can quote your © preference and it appears below all images in your site. :wink:

rtogog

Post Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:25 am

Thanks Dang,
I just wonder on other "free" images hosting, like Flickr, Betterphoto etc. have more advance feature to protect images. The owner have right to adjust its level of protection. We can adjust whether the images can be downloaded or only can browsed by visitors.
Greetings,
RTogog

dang

Post Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:36 pm

rtogog wrote:Thanks Dang,
I just wonder on other "free" images hosting, like Flickr, Betterphoto etc. have more advance feature to protect images. The owner have right to adjust its level of protection. We can adjust whether the images can be downloaded or only can browsed by visitors.
Greetings,
RTogog

Well, that's a can of worms which has been opened many times! :-)
Firstly, it's ALL false protection. Every image anyone views is already downloaded into their computer cache, and can easily be retrieved. It's also easy to do a "screen shot" of any image on the net. If you're using the flic, tell me to, and I'll have it visible in this thread in less than 5 minutes... on a slow day! :)

Now, hope you don't take this wrong, it's just that you said it and I'm not sure saying "other free sites" is exactly correct...
Describe a place free, when, if you intend using it to actually post a decent number of photos, you'll need to pay most anywhere (more than here, I might add). OR, that by posting photos there, those photos are used for the sites branding promotion: It's not exactly an excellent viewing experience, for me anyway, to see their banner placed conspicuously on every page. It really distracts from your photos (that seem a bit small to begin with if using a decent size screen resolution). And you can't change the look. That pink & blue junk is there to stay, is that one of the desirable features you want? Not me!

With that said, and hopefully everyone doesn't jump in this thread to prolong it's existence...
If you really want "right click disable", here's what to do:
Replace your name & email, or change the message to what you want, and add this code to your images. Place in their description or "tech notes", and you've got "right click disable". That simple...
Code: Select all
<BODY onContextMenu='alert("Thanks for viewing my gallery, but these images are copyrighted. To inquire about usage, please send an email to tom@dangphoto.net.");return false;'>

Pbase stated they have no intention of adding this, since it doesn't help, for obvious reasons. I personally use it, not expecting it to stop downloads, but to remind people images are copyrighted. The disadvantage is it stops a few people from viewing your galleries who use right click to navigate your site. So, it's up to you.
And if you're really concerned your photos are being used elsewhere on the net, Google "TinEye Image Tracking", and join. You can run your photo url's and it searches the net for them. It's free, and protects your images more than right click disable ever will. Just add a statement in the © field you use it. :D

nkirby
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:08 pm

rtogog wrote:Thanks Dang,
Greetings,
RTogog

These sites are lying to you if they claim to protect your photos from being downloaded, PBase has no interest in "selling" false security.

gpmerfeld

Post Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:27 am

DANG:
Thank you once again for your sensible take on the situation and your useful information. You are such an asset to these forums and to PBase...

Just a little FYI: Though I know that you have disabled right-click on your images primarily to remind people of the copyright, I thought that I would let you know that: 1. Right click is completely disabled when viewing in Firefox, as intended, but... 2. When viewing with IE 6, upon right clicking, your copyright warning comes up, but as soon as you close that popup, up pops the window that lets you save the image. You are probably aware of this, but just thought I would mention it, in case people think that they can stop the right-click saving of images in IE 6.

Of course, as you, and the administration here always say, disabling right click is a totally false sense of security, as there are so many ways to save an image off the web...

*** While I am here, I do have a question for you regarding something else. On some of your pages you use a scrollable text box (like on your "Tech" page). I believe that is HTML and not CSS? So do you put that element in the gallery description area? And, most importantly for me, is it possible to change the BG color and text color within the text box? Like a black bg with light gray text? Or is that element controlled by CSS?

Thanks again for all of your valuable help and information...

Aloha,
GP

dang

Post Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:16 am

GP,
You're welcome, and thanks. PM coming your way concerning the last questions.

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Level of protection