Board index PBase Questions and Answers Cannot Enable PicLens in my gallery!!!

Questions and Answers

Cannot Enable PicLens in my gallery!!!

Ask if you need help using PBase.
vovka43r

Cannot Enable PicLens in my gallery!!!

Post Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:27 pm

Hi Everyone,
I'm trying to enable PicLens plugin in my account edit section. When I checking the box and hit Update, i'm getting the message "Your account has been updated" but the checking box is empty!!!

How can I enable PicLens plugin :?:

Thanks
pbase.com/vovka43r

flemmingbo

Re: Cannot Enable PicLens in my gallery!!!

Post Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:53 pm

I had no idea that feature was already live !!! But just looked at my account settings and there it is.

But actually I don't think it is online yet, that's why you can't enable it. I think Nooutlet (Pbase developer) would have posted if it was live, so maybe he accidentally enabled it on the account page before the Piclens support is online.

I could be wrong though but I would wait a bit and see a bit, make sure you follow the Piclens thread which is somewhere in this forum.

best regards

Flemming
Flemming Bo Jensen Photography
Gallery: http://www.pbase.com/flemmingbo
My photography blog: http://flemmingbo.wordpress.com

nooutlet
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:35 pm

I didn't realize we were going to go live with that page. So yeah enabling PicLens on that page won't do anything until gallery pages have the PicLens code that checks to see if PicLens is enabled and then gives an RSS feed for PicLens to read. Also, the checkbox doesn't stay checked because the database doesn't have a spot for that flag yet.

NoOutlet

cincyimages

Post Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:34 am

I tried to enable it today too, no luck...
http://www.cincyimages.com

Nikon D300
Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8, Nikkor 70-200mm 2.8, Nikkor 18-200mm, Nikkor 50mm 1.8D, Sigma 10-20mm, Nikon SB-800

zevs

Post Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:07 pm

nooutlet wrote:I didn't realize we were going to go live with that page. So yeah enabling PicLens on that page won't do anything until gallery pages have the PicLens code that checks to see if PicLens is enabled and then gives an RSS feed for PicLens to read. Also, the checkbox doesn't stay checked because the database doesn't have a spot for that flag yet.

NoOutlet

.... but it seems to be on it's way anyhow... great news!!!!

Zevs

clubtad

Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:31 am

It been over a week since the setting went up. Any update?

pinemikey

Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:40 am

What's the big deal about Piclens? Most applications I've seen of it blows up thumbnails, which end up looking horribly pixelated. Seriously, this kind of fluff we can really do without.

bobt54

Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:28 am

Am I missing something here? There is an option to enable Piclens which doesn't work right now and a check box that doesn't stay checked because their is no spot in the database for it yet. One would think that until the Piclens feature has been implemented, there shouldn't be anything in the Settings that even mentions it. Or am I just being silly here? :?
Last edited by bobt54 on Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

clubtad

Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:35 am

pinemikey wrote:What's the big deal about Piclens? Most applications I've seen of it blows up thumbnails, which end up looking horribly pixelated. Seriously, this kind of fluff we can really do without.

It works great on flickr. Especially on sets or photostreams that have several hundred photos.

pinemikey

Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:07 am

It still has nothing on Flickriver.

But again, what are we talking about?

Slideshows.

Click - picture -click -picture -click- picture....I don't care how you dress it up with flim and flam, all you're left with is just another version of having to endure Uncle Herbert and Auntie Mildred's 1000 slideshow trip to St. Louis.

No thanks.

madlights

Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:29 am

pinemikey wrote:It still has nothing on Flickriver.

Slideshows.

Click - picture -click -picture -click- picture....I don't care how you dress it up with flim and flam, all you're left with is just another version of having to endure Uncle Herbert and Auntie Mildred's 1000 slideshow trip to St. Louis.

No thanks.

:D :D :D

zevs

Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:56 pm

Slideshows.

No thanks.

.. well I guess there is one person who clearly won't use it, but you don't need to, will be voluntary to activate it or not. But for all us others who like some new and artistic way of viewing pics on PBase, please get it on :)

Zevs

pinemikey

Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:30 pm

zevs wrote:

Slideshows.

No thanks.

.. well I guess there is one person who clearly won't use it, but you don't need to, will be voluntary to activate it or not. But for all us others who like some new and artistic way of viewing pics on PBase, please get it on :)

Zevs

Actually, I DO use slideshows. Just not a crappy one like Piclens. Full screen blowups of lower res images = fuzzy blurry mess. But gee, the images seem to fly around the screen by themselves. When the way a slideshow looks becomes more important than the images themselves then you're heading down the wrong path.

If by adding Piclens, we reduce the functionality of the already overstressed Pbase servers, then the price is not worth it.

When it comes down to it, I'd rather someone visiting my galleries and studying each image at length, instead of just blowing by at a frame a second. That type of photo hosting is for more lightweight websites.

nooutlet
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:39 pm

It isn't a blow up of the thumbnail that we'll be doing. It'll pull the medium or the large or the original, depending on the server load and size of the original.
Now I haven't looked around at other photo-hosting sites, will PBase be the only photo-sharing site to give the gallery owner the choice of whether PicLens works on their galleries or not?

zevs

Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:58 pm

nooutlet wrote:It isn't a blow up of the thumbnail that we'll be doing. It'll pull the medium or the large or the original, depending on the server load and size of the original.
Now I haven't looked around at other photo-hosting sites, will PBase be the only photo-sharing site to give the gallery owner the choice of whether PicLens works on their galleries or not?

Thanks for the clarification of this misconception with the blurry pictures! I guess if you have blurry pics on your site, then the PicLens pics will also be blurry, but if you have good quality ones then they will look good also in PicLens. Think not of images flying all over the place Pinemikey, but rather try to imagine walking along a wall watching a photo art exhibition, stopping and looking closer at some photos that interest you more. That is the feeling I get when using PicLens.

Sorry, I don't really know Nooutet if the gallery owners on the other PicLens enabled sites can turn it on and off. I have no galleries on any of them, sticking to just PBase so far.

Zevs

Next

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Cannot Enable PicLens in my gallery!!!