Board index PBase Questions and Answers Piclens from Cooliris.com

Questions and Answers

Piclens from Cooliris.com

Ask if you need help using PBase.
alexis

Next release of PBase?

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:49 am

Yes I got the same response this morning as well.
Any release dates for the new version of PBase yet?

regards
alexis

zevs

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:17 pm

Hi Alexis and Tommonster!

If you look a few posts up here in this thread, Nooutlet mentioned that he thought he could have something going possible in a month or so. That post was from the 21st of February, so perhaps end of March.....

Zevs

zevs

Re:

Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:22 am

nooutlet wrote:Ehh, probably not too long. I just got it working on my development site today, but it's a pretty bad way of doing it. Right now, it'll display photos that are private and it'll display all the photos in a password protected gallery without needing to have entered the password, etc. It won't be hard to fix it up though. There are other things to be done though: there is some business stuff to look into, we're going to be enabling it on pages other than just gallery pages, then we have to set up all the necessary stuff for making it optional for the artist if we're going to go that route, etc.

I guess I would say a month or so?

I don't know.

Hi Nooutlet!

Just wanted to find out where you are up to with this PicLens implementation for PBase. Would be great to be able to use this to view pics.

Zevs

alexis

Re: Piclens from Cooliris.com

Post Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:25 am

I see that Fototime and Fotki have also joined the long queue of photo sites supporting PicLens. Any news from Pbase? I cannot wait!!!!

alexis

zevs

Post Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:57 pm

Hi Noutlet and PBase developers!

Could we please get some answer on what you guys are doing about this and when we might possibly have PBAse as not one of the last photo sites implementing this ??

Zevs

alexis

Post Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:08 pm

Looks like PBase are becoming complacent with their clients (us!) but loyalty has its limits.
It only takes a couple of minutes to give us an update on progress.

A less than satisfied Pbase subscriber
Alexis
http://www.pbase.com/alexis

srijith

Post Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:12 pm

Come on guys, cut them some slack. They made two big changes last month - geotagging support and forum upgrade. That is a whole lot, given how slow thing happen around here :) :lol:

zevs

Post Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:43 pm

srijith wrote:Come on guys, cut them some slack. They made two big changes last month - geotagging support and forum upgrade. That is a whole lot, given how slow thing happen around here :) :lol:

Absolutely, just wanted to know where they are with this, a short answer would make me happy :)

Zevs

nooutlet
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:25 pm

Hey folks. Since it was me who worked on the forums and I'm also the one doing the PicLens stuff, not much progress has been made for the last month. I didn't expect the forum to give me as many problems as it did when we actually did the real move, but most of those are worked out now. I'm also working on EXIF which might take some precedence to PicLens, but I'm working on PicLens today and I'm making some progress on things I had been having trouble with before.

zevs

Post Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:56 pm

Thanks Nooutlet!!

Zevs

nooutlet
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:12 pm

Do you guys think that sub-galleries should show up in the PicLens mode? That is, should representative images of galleries show up and when you click those representative images and then click the top left corner button that looks like an arrow, you go into that sub-gallery in normal browser mode or is it enough to have the option of displaying an entire gallery of images without representative images of subgalleries in PicLens?

Hmm. I've just realized that it there are a lot of things in my gallery page that aren't in the current live gallery page because they're part of a larger scale upgrade and I'm not sure it's okay to release them all right now.

djwixx

Post Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:26 pm

nooutlet wrote:Do you guys think that sub-galleries should show up in the PicLens mode? That is, should representative images of galleries show up and when you click those representative images and then click the top left corner button that looks like an arrow, you go into that sub-gallery in normal browser mode or is it enough to have the option of displaying an entire gallery of images without representative images of subgalleries in PicLens?

Hmm. I've just realized that it there are a lot of things in my gallery page that aren't in the current live gallery page because they're part of a larger scale upgrade and I'm not sure it's okay to release them all right now.

I think the option should be set by each gallery owner for each gallery that you want to be viewed using piclens.

Thinking about it, I wonder if piclens will become the default view mode for a lot of visitors, so consequently, actual 'hard' views will reduce?

alexis

Post Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:33 pm

nooutlet wrote:Do you guys think that sub-galleries should show up in the PicLens mode? That is, should representative images of galleries show up and when you click those representative images and then click the top left corner button that looks like an arrow, you go into that sub-gallery in normal browser mode or is it enough to have the option of displaying an entire gallery of images without representative images of subgalleries in PicLens?

Thanx nooutlet and apologies if you felt harrassed by my update requests.
In response to your question, I don't think it os necessary for you to worry about the subgallery respresentation. As long as the Piclens option is available to each gallery then that is fine.

regards and thanx
alexis

nooutlet
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:45 pm

djwixx wrote:

I think the option should be set by each gallery owner for each gallery that you want to be viewed using piclens.

Thinking about it, I wonder if piclens will become the default view mode for a lot of visitors, so consequently, actual 'hard' views will reduce?

I'm not sure I explained this well enough when I asked the question, because this doesn't seem like something worthy of being a choice for each gallery or even each gallery owner.
Here's a scenario to better illustrate what I'm asking.
You're viewing a PBase gallery in your browser while not in PicLens mode. There are a bunch of images displayed, but some of those images represent an entire sub-gallery.
You go into PicLens mode. While in PicLens mode, should you be able to see the images that represent a sub-gallery? Are those images really a part of the gallery you're currently viewing in PicLens mode or are they more accurately a part of the sub-gallery that you are NOT currently viewing? The way that it's coded on my server right now does not display sub-gallery representative images in PicLens mode.

The thing I said earlier about the arrow was probably misleading because Piclens creates a button that looks like an arrow in the browser window in addition to having a button actually in PicLens mode which takes you back to normal browser mode and follows the link attached to the image you're looking at if there was such a link.

I wonder if PicLens is planning on creating a feature which will open up sub-galleries in PicLens mode automatically if the link to that sub-gallery is accessed while in PicLens mode. Then maybe a "backward" button. If that happened, one could potentially browse a person's entire set of galleries without seeing anything but the CSS layout of the root gallery page. It's quite possible that 'hard' views will shrink in number.

zevs

Post Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:06 pm

nooutlet wrote:
djwixx wrote:
nooutlet wrote:

I'm not sure I explained this well enough when I asked the question, because this doesn't seem like something worthy of being a choice for each gallery or even each gallery owner.
Here's a scenario to better illustrate what I'm asking.
You're viewing a PBase gallery in your browser while not in PicLens mode. There are a bunch of images displayed, but some of those images represent an entire sub-gallery.
You go into PicLens mode. While in PicLens mode, should you be able to see the images that represent a sub-gallery? Are those images really a part of the gallery you're currently viewing in PicLens mode or are they more accurately a part of the sub-gallery that you are NOT currently viewing? The way that it's coded on my server right now does not display sub-gallery representative images in PicLens mode.

Hi Noouitlet! To me your suggested mode is perfectly fine, i.e. not seeing pics that are representatives of sub galleries.

Zevs

PreviousNext

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Piclens from Cooliris.com