Board index PBase Questions and Answers Piclens from Cooliris.com

Questions and Answers

Piclens from Cooliris.com

Ask if you need help using PBase.
djwixx

Post Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:19 pm

nooutlet wrote:Ok, sorry. I was wrong about the slideshow thing. I wasn't thinking of the link in the upper right, obviously. For that, I think you're right. That should be an option as well. These options will probably come with an entirely overhauled edit_gallery page.

Phew a smaller quote to use...................

With regards to your previous post, if I'm logged off (or on) as a user I have an option to use treeview or thumbnail view when I visit someones root gallery. I also have an option to use the slideshow or not. Both options are there and I have a choice. As a gallery owner I'm not aware that I can make either option disabled. Either way I think my point is being missed.

Personally I think all functionality which improves the user (non-Pbaser) experience should be defaulted to On. Ignoring the whims of the Pbase supporters anything which improves the image of Pbase to the outside world can only be a good thing for Pbase's future.

Maybe now is a time to consider tiered subscriptions. Basic, would give you the default Pbase look with some default schemes, a higher priced option would then give you full control over the user experience etc. etc.

My concern with defaulting some options to Off, is that many subscribers just aren't that interested, as long as they have somewhere to load their shots. With the default to On, I think many would pleased with what options they have.

zevs

Post Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:16 am

Hi!

Well, my view is that it should be an option for each owner to turn it on or off for their whole site, not for sub-galleries though. It doesn't really matter if it is by default on or off, as long as the owner can change it easily.

The reason for that I want it to be an option is that as far as I have seen (have only looked really at Flickr) PicLens really drastically change the way you look a the pictures in a gallery. Don't get me wrong, I love how it looks and feels and will definitively have this option on for my PBase site. But, but many gallery owners have put in a lot of effort into making their gallery have a special feel and look, and might for that reason not want to loose control over how the site is viewed. So keep it an option.

Zevs

akmc_in_au

Post Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:50 am

nooutlet wrote:Right now, I think it should be the artist's choice to enable PicLens on their galleries or not and that it should be disabled by default.

What do you think?

First of all, I think it's great that an Admin is soliciting input from the users like this.

But in relation to the question itself, I agree with the general vibe; the availability of any functionality should be as granular as is reasonably possible (in this case, gallery by gallery), and off by default to ensure that things aren't happening which the photographer may not even be aware of.

Much as I generally agree with Dave, I'm afraid that I must disagree on this one. I think that the members with the better galleries will probably be actively seeking ways to enhance the user experience anyway. If a user is just interested in a place to dump photos, I'm not sure that an enhanced display format will make much difference.

In addition to the features already mentioned elsewhere in this thread, I'd add that random photos is another feature that many seem to be interested in disabling. (Especially if the "images from passworded galleries show up" problem has yet to be fixed; I'm not sure whether it has or not.) But in summary yes, I'd rather have a reasonable amount of certainty over what my viewers (all 7 of them :) ) are seeing.

zevs

Post Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:38 pm

akmc_in_au wrote:
But in relation to the question itself, I agree with the general vibe; the availability of any functionality should be as granular as is reasonably possible (in this case, gallery by gallery), and off by default to ensure that things aren't happening which the photographer may not even be aware of.

Yes sure, one can have it down to gallery level too. My thought was to make it a bit easier for the developers, to make sure we will get Piclens fairly rapidly, but if it is not too much work to get the choice for each gallery, why not.

Zevs

nooutlet
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:38 pm

Yes sure, one can have it down to gallery level too. My thought was to make it a bit easier for the developers, to make sure we will get Piclens fairly rapidly, but if it is not too much work to get the choice for each gallery, why not.

Well, the thing is that there's a lot of work to be done to edit_gallery anyway, so if the option is going to go in there, it will come with a complete overhaul of the page.
So even if it's decided that it should be gallery by gallery eventually, it will start off as being "site"-wide for the artist at first.

Personally I think all functionality which improves the user (non-Pbaser) experience should be defaulted to On. Ignoring the whims of the Pbase supporters anything which improves the image of Pbase to the outside world can only be a good thing for Pbase's future.

Maybe now is a time to consider tiered subscriptions. Basic, would give you the default Pbase look with some default schemes, a higher priced option would then give you full control over the user experience etc. etc.

I'm going to quote slug from the outdated Terms of Service
[quote=Slug]I run this site. I view everyone as people and fellow photographers, not as customers.[/quote]
I think this means that the site is meant to be a place for photographers to display their photos how they want to(as opposed to visitors viewing photos how they want to) and not a website bent on being profitable. Though perhaps a setting for "I'm a serious photographer/I'm a snapshot taker" could set apart the people that want to control how their ART is displayed versus those that want to get their PICTURES available online.[/quote]

zevs

Post Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:53 pm

nooutlet wrote:Well, the thing is that there's a lot of work to be done to edit_gallery anyway, so if the option is going to go in there, it will come with a complete overhaul of the page. So even if it's decided that it should be gallery by gallery eventually, it will start off as being "site"-wide for the artist at first.

Sure that is what I thought and why I suggested just site wide a my first option. That would be really great if you could get us there, very much appreiciated!!!

Zevs

shawnkraus

Pic Lens

Post Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:56 pm

I have not been able to properly install Pic Lens on my computer.

I have tried about 6 times.

I have saved the set up program.

I clicked install.

It says successful but does not install an icon.

I have windows xp. One time it opened up the explorer browser and I was able to see it but as soon as I shut it off I had no way to get back to it. I use AOL for a service provider but if I can not get this program to load properly and it is not easy to access I have no desire to use it to browse PBASE. If PBASE were to offer it's own version of it and make it an option for viewing, I would love to have this offered. I have not contacted cool iris about my installation problem yet but if it is that hard to get to install properly or use I will just pass for now.

zevs

Re: Pic Lens

Post Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:21 am

shawnkraus wrote:I have not been able to properly install Pic Lens on my computer.

I have tried about 6 times.

I have saved the set up program.

I clicked install.

It says successful but does not install an icon.

I have windows xp. One time it opened up the explorer browser and I was able to see it but as soon as I shut it off I had no way to get back to it. I use AOL for a service provider but if I can not get this program to load properly and it is not easy to access I have no desire to use it to browse PBASE. If PBASE were to offer it's own version of it and make it an option for viewing, I would love to have this offered. I have not contacted cool iris about my installation problem yet but if it is that hard to get to install properly or use I will just pass for now.

Hi Shawn! I'm not sure you would get an icon for it really. I'm using Firefox and the installation of Piclens sets it up as plugin, so I really only see it when I look at pics from a supported site, for example Flickr. Then when hovering over a pic with the mouse pointer I do get this little arrow in the right hand corner of the image and clicking on that starts up the PicLens visualization.

Zevs

shawnkraus

Thanks Zevs

Post Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:09 pm

You were correct no icon was needed. I am able to use the pic lens application perfectly while using Internet Explorer. Thanks once again.
--Shawn

zevs

Post Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:25 pm

Glad it worked for you Shawn!! It is a very nice plugin, and please, please PBase, let us get it too!!!

zevs

Post Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:15 pm

Hi Nooutlet!

Just wonder if you could give us some idea of when this feature might be available for the users ? Not exact dates of course, but a rough estimate..

Zevs

nooutlet
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:46 pm

Ehh, probably not too long. I just got it working on my development site today, but it's a pretty bad way of doing it. Right now, it'll display photos that are private and it'll display all the photos in a password protected gallery without needing to have entered the password, etc. It won't be hard to fix it up though. There are other things to be done though: there is some business stuff to look into, we're going to be enabling it on pages other than just gallery pages, then we have to set up all the necessary stuff for making it optional for the artist if we're going to go that route, etc.

I guess I would say a month or so?

I don't know.

zevs

Post Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:54 pm

Thanks, thanks Nooutlet for the rapid answer! Sound promising, although I understand there are some issues on the way. If you ever need a pilot to test things out, you know where to find one :)

Thanks again for doing this!

Zevs

alexis

PicLens facility

Post Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:31 pm

I join the long list of Piclens fans - this is a fantastic product and will enhance PBase big time. I look forward to the implementation of this add-in.

thanx
alexis
http://www.pbase.com/alexis

tommonster

PBase and PicLens

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:06 am

This may be old news, but I just got this e-mail moments ago!

I just found out from our business development team that PicLens support will be in the next release of PBase! But you should tell everyone who asks to post at this forum saying they want piclens DEFAULT to ON in their gallery options. http://forum.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?t= ... sc&start=0

After all your interest I thought you should be the first to know of a really cool update we just received here at Cooliris: PicLens has just been selected as a FINALIST in the 2008 Webware 100 Awards, out of over 4,600 2.0 Web service nominees! This is a HUGE accomplishment, and we owe it to users like you for your tremendous support! So thanks a TON! Our amazing users helped get us this far in the selection process, and now we would love your help even more! You can vote for PicLens at
http://www.webware.com/html/ww/100/2008 ... wsing.html until 9am on March 31st. If you know anyone else that loves PicLens, make sure to tell them to vote too. Hope you will help us! ☺
:D
Thomas Hasselwander

PreviousNext

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Piclens from Cooliris.com