Board index PBase Questions and Answers Piclens from Cooliris.com

Questions and Answers

Piclens from Cooliris.com

Ask if you need help using PBase.
luc_vn

Piclens from Cooliris.com

Post Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:11 pm

Anybody knows if/when Piclens from cooliris will work with Pbase?

This extension for Firefox is fantastic with Flickr Picassa and Facebook...

Try it: http://www.cooliris.com/

Regards,

Luc VN

djwixx

Post Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:30 pm

Slick - I LIKE IT.

It would certainly make viewing experience far more enjoyable.

luc_vn

Post Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:43 am

This extension works also with Google Images.

I'm amazed there is not more interest for this?

Kind Regards,

Luc

dougj

Post Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:52 am

I have Cooliris installed, but disabled it as it adds to my natural clutter. But this is just me, it has some nice features and others may enjoy using it. It's definitely worth trying.

zevs

Post Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:34 pm

Yes, it is really a good plugin in Firefox. Has anyone raised this with Slug and the team ?

Zevs

luc_vn

Post Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:28 pm

I wrote a mail to Cooliris and this was their response:

"Hello Luc:

Thanks so much for using PicLens! We are taking some initiatives to encourage webmasters to enable their sites for PicLens. We hope to add more sites shortly. We're keeping a list of user requests, and will add pbase.com to the list! :) Thank you for your suggestion!

Kind regards,
Alec & The PicLens Team"

Rgds,

Luc VN

PS: I just wrote a mail to Slug and Emily about this now.

djwixx

Post Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:40 pm

See the reply at http://forum.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?t=36153&highlight=

Pbase has already set it up but it's waiting on cooliris.

hiero

Post Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:32 pm

Strange, I also just got message from CoolIris asking me to request Pbase to support support of PicLens"

"Hi Jeroen,
I work in business development at Cooliris and we are currently trying
to support pbase.com. The more users they get requesting piclens
support, the easier it will be for us to offer integration. So please
send the pbase team (emily[at]pbase.com) an email and let them know you
want piclens on their site! In fact, have all your friends do it as
well. Help us to share this awesome product with the world!
Thanks and keep discovering more with Piclens!"

I hope you will indeed get into contact. It would make Pbase even more attractive!

Jeroen
Jeroen Bosman, glad to be on Pbase
http://www.pbase.com/hiero

luc_vn

Post Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:13 pm

Hello,

I just wanted to say that my request was NOT solicited by Cooliris.
I found the extension and tried it with Google and Flickr! and thought it would be nice for Pbase...

Kind Regards,

Luc

PS: I got no response from Slug or Emily

zevs

Post Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:16 pm

Yes, it is a very nice plugin and would be very nice to have also for PBase!

Zevs

nooutlet
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:31 pm

I've been emailing the CoolIris people and they'll be telling us what's up with setting up PicLens.

But now I've got some questions for you all. Do you think PicLens should work on ALL galleries for ALL artists or should it be a choice that the owner of the gallery makes about that gallery? After all, this changes the way a person will view the work of the artist beyond the control of the artist. If it is a choice, should it be enabled or disabled by default? Should it be a setting for that artist's whole collection of galleries or should it be a choice they make for each individual gallery?

Right now, I think it should be the artist's choice to enable PicLens on their galleries or not and that it should be disabled by default.

What do you think?

flemmingbo

Post Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:35 pm

I agree, I reckon it should be a choice the artist makes and it should be disabled by default.
Flemming Bo Jensen Photography
Gallery: http://www.pbase.com/flemmingbo
My photography blog: http://flemmingbo.wordpress.com

djwixx

Post Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:57 pm

nooutlet wrote:Right now, I think it should be the artist's choice to enable PicLens on their galleries or not and that it should be disabled by default.

I would agree, but having it as a default still depends on the user to make the decision. Currently the slideshow option is a default, like it or not, so I don't see why this would be any different. If this becomes an option, then maybe other functions should also become an option, i.e. treeview, slideshow, guestbook, commenting etc.

nooutlet
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:35 pm

I don't think you're interpreting this correctly, djwixx.

I'm suggesting that PicLens is either on or off for a particular artist/gallery and that it be off by default.

I'm trying to think of a artist's PBase site as a physical art gallery in some building somewhere. I'll extend this metaphor to the examples you listed.

Slideshow is something you get from doing SLIDESHOW(gallery_name), so that's already an option for the artist to make when they write the description of the gallery. This is like the artist putting in the foyer a television which plays a video displaying selected works of the artist. He has the option of doing this and that's okay.

Treeview only changes how the user finds a gallery, it doesn't change how that gallery is viewed after it's found, though perhaps you have a point that finding that gallery is part of the experience the artist should have control over. Disabling treeview would be like the artist requiring visitors to have ridden a bike to the art gallery. I suppose the artist has the right to refuse any visitor(he owns the building) and he can refuse those that came in a car, but it seems like an awful strange stipulation.

Commenting is possible to disable in the Options sections of the Account Settings linked to from your profile page. There are a few other options besides disable and enable too with regards to commenting. I guess this would be like having a comment box somewhere accessible in the art gallery and it would be up to the artist to have it there, read it, etc.

Guestbooks would be like a register at the building. We do not seem to have any options for guestbooks on PBase(unless the aforementioned Comment options also apply to guestbook comments), and that does seem like it warrants an option as well. It's not so much about how a gallery is experienced, but guestbook options are a fair suggestion that may be worked on after some more crucial things.

Basically, I'm concerned that some artists will not want their galleries viewed in ways that they don't know about. If the artist is okay with their gallery looking the way it does in PicLens, then they can enable PicLens. If we make it an option that affects all galleries, it will probably be in the Account Settings like the options to enable statistics trackers. If we make it an option that affects one gallery at a time, it will have to be in the edit_gallery page.

nooutlet
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:02 pm

Ok, sorry. I was wrong about the slideshow thing. I wasn't thinking of the link in the upper right, obviously. For that, I think you're right. That should be an option as well. These options will probably come with an entirely overhauled edit_gallery page.

Next

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Piclens from Cooliris.com