Board index PBase Questions and Answers Anybody else have trouble with Pbase search function?

Questions and Answers

Anybody else have trouble with Pbase search function?

Ask if you need help using PBase.
ellenb127

Anybody else have trouble with Pbase search function?

Post Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:03 pm

Hi! Does anyone else have trouble with the search function in Pbase? I find that I generally can't use two words or an apostrophe. And there's something even weirder. Quite often, if I try something like Annas Hummingbird (which should be Anna's Hummingbird, but never mind...), it says there are no photos. But then if I try just "hummingbird", it says AGAIN that there are no photos. Now we know that flat-ain't true!

Any ideas?

Thanks!

EllenB :x

alangrant

Post Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:10 am

The PBase search engine is indeed unpredictable and bizarre. Two-word searches seem to cause it the biggest problems but there are other glitches too.

See this thread for more discussion:
http://forum.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?t=31866

So far as I am aware, PBase haven't indicated any interest in fixing things up. It's a pity because many people do use the search engine.

If I am searching for things on Pbase myself, I generally just use Google, adding "site:www.pbase.com" to the search string. But Google doesn't look at keywords, which the PBase search engine does.
Alan
Travel Photos - http://www.pbase.com/alangrant
Balkanology: Explore Southeast Europe - http://www.balkanology.com/

dougj

Post Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:43 am

Here is another thread on the topic, with information on using Google to search PBase. The PBase keywords do not work with Google, and it may take 1-2 days before the Google indexes are updated with changes.

http://forum.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?t=30951

scottma

Re: Anybody else have trouble with Pbase search function?

Post Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:07 am

ellenb127 wrote:Hi! Does anyone else have trouble with the search function in Pbase? I find that I generally can't use two words or an apostrophe. And there's something even weirder. Quite often, if I try something like Annas Hummingbird (which should be Anna's Hummingbird, but never mind...), it says there are no photos. But then if I try just "hummingbird", it says AGAIN that there are no photos. Now we know that flat-ain't true!

Any ideas?

Thanks!

EllenB :x

Hi Ellen;
Strange, but I opened up a thread on this very subject on August 12, to find that Someone Else had started a thread about it earlier.
Apparently they are not in the mood to do anything about it, which is definitely a deciding factor in whether or not I will pay to have anything here...I mean, if they don't take care of something as fundamental as this, then what else, right?
It's a drag for all the really talented people here, too.
Good luck with everything!

dougj

Post Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:31 pm

scottma - PBase is clearly lacking in some areas, and the search function is one of these. Try to keep this in perspective, PBase costs $23/year to join, roughly equal to one coffee per month, a real bargain that generally delivers excellent value.

Should your deciding factors rest on the internal search function, the lack of management response, other real or perceived problems, you would be well served to look for another hosting site. PBase has a very large community of supporters with several million hosted photos, but PBase might be right for you.

You joined PBase in May 2004, have no photos posted and have made only 3 forum posts. I suggest after 3+ years you decide what & where you want to go and focus your energy on this decision.

Should you decide to join & support PBase, post photos, you will find lots of support within the community.

scottma

Post Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:18 pm

dougj wrote:scottma - PBase is clearly lacking in some areas, and the search function is one of these. Try to keep this in perspective, PBase costs $23/year to join, roughly equal to one coffee per month, a real bargain that generally delivers excellent value.

Should your deciding factors rest on the internal search function, the lack of management response, other real or perceived problems, you would be well served to look for another hosting site. PBase has a very large community of supporters with several million hosted photos, but PBase might be right for you.

You joined PBase in May 2004, have no photos posted and have made only 3 forum posts. I suggest after 3+ years you decide what & where you want to go and focus your energy on this decision.

Should you decide to join & support PBase, post photos, you will find lots of support within the community.

Gee Doug, thanks for doing all that research on me.
I appreciate your suggestion.
When I posted My thread about PBases apparently notoriously fallible "Search", I was simply curious as to whether or not others had been experiencing the same thing, (which is not a perceived problem, mind you), and if anyone might be up to the concept of straightening it out for the benifit of everyone, Including You.
I am pleased that you are pleased with PBase, and if it matters to you, (and it might, judging by your strange interest in me personally), I have been quite vocal to friends, co-workers and other photographers about how wonderful I genuinely believe PBase to be.
Thank you again for your assistance, and please take note that this is probably my fourth forum post, although maybe not, as I don't keep up with such things.
Cheers and Best.

nooutlet
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:20 pm

I'm a new programmer for PBase and let me tell you I'm in the mood to fix the search engine. I can't wait to figure out why it's so bizarre. I'll need a little time to figure out the system and get comfortable with everything but after that, the search engine better mind it's p's and q's is all I have to say. It's on thin ice.

alangrant

Post Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:20 pm

That's good to hear, nooutlet. I think for a lot of us it has been frustrating to have a "broken" feature so prominently displayed at the top of every page. It's clear from Statcounter statistics that many people do still use the Search, despite its, ahem, "quirks", so I think it is something that will justify any work done to improve it. Best of luck with it!
Alan
Travel Photos - http://www.pbase.com/alangrant
Balkanology: Explore Southeast Europe - http://www.balkanology.com/

andrys

Post Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:28 pm

alangrant wrote:That's good to hear, nooutlet. I think for a lot of us it has been frustrating to have a "broken" feature so prominently displayed at the top of every page. It's clear from Statcounter statistics that many people do still use the Search

Exactly.

We can tell people to use google instead all we want, but people really
do use PBase's search engine a lot, when they can get it to give results...

dougj

Post Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:38 pm

Welcome nooutlet - The Search function has been dysfunctional for a long time, this is a good place to start. The Google workaround is a poor substitute at best.

isolaverde

Post Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:19 am

nooutlet wrote:I'm a new programmer for PBase and let me tell you I'm in the mood to fix the search engine. I can't wait to figure out why it's so bizarre. I'll need a little time to figure out the system and get comfortable with everything but after that, the search engine better mind it's p's and q's is all I have to say. It's on thin ice.

Could please add an option that would allow the search to be sorted by time - even by date uploaded would be good.

Just so tiring seeing the same pics come up again and again, when only wanting the recent ones!

Thanks!

nooutlet
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:46 pm

Yes, that will probably be the way that we order the results once we have the search working again.

mirrorofvenus

OK, what about us figure photogs...?

Post Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:48 pm

Try the word 'nude' or even stranger, 'stockings' or 'legs' ..even 'wife'. My guess is someone tried to figure (!) out what the avarage adolescent oik would put in when looking for a bit of racey fun. But it is not good if, like moi, you are a genuine and well exhibited Fine Art photographer who, let's say, has a certain amount of 'wobble' in his images. I would have said 'fluffiness' fifteen years ago, but you know models and their hair..times, and fashions change. Very bizarre. Really, NO results for 'nude'. I think not. How about making these terms available to members only? It might make the difference to helping someone like me joining up properly.

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Anybody else have trouble with Pbase search function?