Board index PBase Questions and Answers certain characters don't work in search?

Questions and Answers

certain characters don't work in search?

Ask if you need help using PBase.
ultimatepgh

certain characters don't work in search?

Post Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:17 pm

http://www.pbase.com/image/19983875

Searching for "Megan Zdancewic" brings back results but searching for "Tracy O'Lare" doesn't. The only thing I can think of is that the single quote is messing up the search. Does anyone know if this is a feature or a bug? The easy solution will be to remove her single quote, but that is somewhat undesirable since that's not how she spells her name.

Michael Klawansky

gtepke

Post Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:39 pm

I just figured out that this is the reason why searches often fail to turn up my photos. Most of my pics are of birds and the titles are usually the name of the species. Many bird names have apostrophes and/or hyphens, but if these characters are included in the search, the search fails. For example, searching for "Xantus's Murrelet" (without the quotation marks) does not find my pictures of this species, but searching for "Xantus" does. Searching for "Ashy Storm-Petrel" fails but searching for "Ashy" or "Ashy Storm" works. This seems like a serious flaw to me, since birders and bird photographers often search for pictures of particular species. Can this be fixed? Admin, are you reading this? I was dismayed to see that there was no response from Admin to the first post in this thread. Glen Tepke

peterb

Post Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:20 pm

Perhaps I'm incorrect but it seems to me that "search" can only handle one word. When two words are entered "search" seems only to find the first word entered. Primitive to say the least.

minoltaman

Post Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:46 pm

I was dismayed to see that there was no response from Admin to the first post in this thread. Glen Tepke

You are at the wrong site if you are asking for instance admin response. Search is not a priority here either. Be happy it works at all. It's been getting better but it is NOT a priority here.

Far as demanding a respnse from admin. For a site hosting 15 million images, this site runs on a genuine skeleton crew. You'll be lucky to ever get a response from admin. Others will respond but admin can dissapear for months at times.

Just a little I learned in my time here.

Cheers.
Last edited by minoltaman on Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

juliano

Post Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:46 pm

That does not seem to be the case to me. Going back to my bird pictures for an example, if I search for "shearwater" I get all of my pictures of several species of shearwaters, but if I search for "greater shearwater" I get only my pictures of that species, so the search feature is using both words. Glen

gtepke

Post Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:53 pm

The post above from "Guest" is from me. I thought I had signed in but apparently I had not. And I was referring to peterb's post about single words in searches, which I forgot to quote.

Re responses from Admin, I certainly don't expect an instant response, but the first post in this thread was made over three months ago.
Last edited by gtepke on Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ilanphoto

Post Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:20 pm

gtepke wrote:The post above from "Guest" is from me. I thought I had signed in but apparently I had not.

Re responses from Admin, I certainly don't expect an instant response, but the first post in this thread was made over three months ago.

As you are not the first one to raise this issue, Take a look at this http://forum.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?t=1278
it could help to put a smile on your face :(

gtepke

Post Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:39 pm

ilanphoto wrote:As you are not the first one to raise this issue, Take a look at this http://forum.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?t=1278

Yes, I saw this post. This is really disappointing. I think pbase's rates are pretty reasonable so I don't expect super-responsive customer service, but I do expect some. In this case, even a response from admin that said something to the effect of "We are aware of the problem and will fix it when we have time, but that won't be any time soon" would be better than no response at all. Maybe I should be perusing the forums to find out if there is a way to download all the galleries I have created so I can take them and my money to another site.

minoltaman

Post Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:36 am

Maybe I should be perusing the forums to find out if there is a way to download all the galleries I have created so I can take them and my money to another site.

Whoooa...if you are that upset...BYE.

I don't see the point of complaining about what you don't have. Concentrate on the good features and ease of use of pbase. Thats what most of us do.

When the search gets better it will be better...I guess we will see you then. :roll:

No disrespect intended here.

Cheers

ilanphoto

Post Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:52 am

gtepke wrote:
ilanphoto wrote:As you are not the first one to raise this issue, Take a look at this http://forum.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?t=1278

Yes, I saw this post. This is really disappointing. I think pbase's rates are pretty reasonable so I don't expect super-responsive customer service, but I do expect some. In this case, even a response from admin that said something to the effect of "We are aware of the problem and will fix it when we have time, but that won't be any time soon" would be better than no response at all. Maybe I should be perusing the forums to find out if there is a way to download all the galleries I have created so I can take them and my money to another site.

getpke
I spent over a year trying out different sites before comming here and parting with my money. I am under the impression that this IS the BEST site at leat for my needs.
I am sure that each lace has it's pros and cons so you will find other sites that will have excellent customer service but will be much less user friendly.
Your choise
Ilan

Board index PBase Questions and Answers certain characters don't work in search?