Board index PBase Questions and Answers what's the matter with my photos?

Questions and Answers

what's the matter with my photos?

Ask if you need help using PBase.
minoltaman

Post Thu Jan 01, 2004 4:55 am

I don't understand why you don't make a cd backup of your pics when they come off the camera to preserve everything. I would never rely on an on-line entity to be my backup for my photo collections. At least not anytime in the near future.

Cheers

thechen

Post Thu Jan 01, 2004 6:17 am

minoltaman wrote:I don't understand why you don't make a cd backup of your pics when they come off the camera to preserve everything.

I am going to assume the question is directed at me, so I will give it a shot. It is not I don't backup my pictures, but there are a lot of data that I create only within the Pbase site. Don't you ever put captions on your pictures? What about others' comments about your pictures? Also, I'm sure there will be some like I that value the hit counts.

The point is, Pbase holds more than my pictures, and I don't have a reliable and easy way to backup those.

minoltaman

Post Thu Jan 01, 2004 6:42 am

ya know, I just have not had time to caption my 6000 pics yet...

Besides, I have never lost comments, pics, hit counts, or votes here at pbase far as I know. Slug backs the freaken place up. I will rely on that to store the stuff you are talking about for now and continue to copy my pics with exif to cd.

Cheers

slug
Site Admin
Site Admin

sorry about the broken images.

Post Thu Jan 01, 2004 7:22 am

apologies for the broken images this past day or so.

two disks were dead on the same server which is why complete recovery has taken so long. most of what lived on that server is now being served off the secondary servers but we're still waiting for the last 5% or so.

emily and i have been camped out at the ISP listening to Auld Lang Syne mp3s.

fortunately Dell was able to overnight replacement disks.
all images should be back online in an hour or so.
just need to finish some filesystem maintenance.
we didn't even have to use the tape backups and hopefully never will.

we have a good amount of redundancy now, but will continue to improve the hardware setup so that failovers to secondary systems in case of hardware failure will be faster and less noticeable.

-slug

minoltaman

Post Thu Jan 01, 2004 7:40 am

Happy New Year Slug.

ilanphoto

Post Thu Jan 01, 2004 8:50 am

Not the best way to spend new year eve I guess :D But most of us were sure that it will all be solved quickly enough.

Wishing you, Emily and all of Pbase a very happy and full of fun 2004

Ilan

jchaney

Post Thu Jan 01, 2004 9:00 am

I hope it's because slug is working on the problem, but now nearly 90% of my pictures are gone!

I do have the originals backuped on my PC, DVD+R's, and my notebook, but they are the origials. It would be alot of work resizing, touching up, and reloading all of them. I wish you luck, and hope you can get everything back to normal.

olliemaitland

Post Thu Jan 01, 2004 12:36 pm

Thanks very much slug, i'm sure your dedication hasn't gone unnoticed!

shecodes

Post Thu Jan 01, 2004 3:31 pm

jchaney wrote:I hope it's because slug is working on the problem, but now nearly 90% of my pictures are gone!

I do have the originals backuped on my PC, DVD+R's, and my notebook, but they are the origials. It would be alot of work resizing, touching up, and reloading all of them. I wish you luck, and hope you can get everything back to normal.

I can see a bunch of your photos.. are you talking about red x problems or totally missing pictures?

arob

Same Here

Post Thu Jan 01, 2004 4:22 pm

Can't seem to repair this problem:
http://www.pbase.com/arob/birds
Thanks

minoltaman

Post Thu Jan 01, 2004 4:35 pm

If you have tried reconfiguring your settings just hold the door a while longer.

Slug has not got everything fixed around here yet. When he does things will go back to normal.

Cheers

slug
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Jan 01, 2004 6:01 pm

arob: that problem with the huge thumbnail.
unsure why that happened, but if you should ever see that again, you can fix it by editing the image, and hitting the regenerate thumb button.
will give you faster results than waiting for us to notice and fix it.

all images should be back online now. so if someone is still seeing broken images somewhere. please let us know by sending email with the image_id of the broken image to help@pbase.com

thanks,
-slug

minoltaman

Post Thu Jan 01, 2004 6:04 pm

all images should be back online now. so if someone is still seeing broken images somewhere. please let us know by sending email with the image_id of the broken image to

slug..look at the children thread...broken embeds everywhere still. 4 from three different people on the first page! We need to replace the stuff or what? You really want all of the image id's?
Last edited by minoltaman on Thu Jan 01, 2004 6:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.

minoltaman

Post Thu Jan 01, 2004 6:05 pm

Last edited by minoltaman on Thu Jan 01, 2004 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

minoltaman

Post Thu Jan 01, 2004 6:11 pm

slug...you probably just have not got around to it yet, but when you view uasage and payment history you get a big-time error still.
OK
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@pbase.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.28 Server at http://www.pbase.com Port 80

PreviousNext

Board index PBase Questions and Answers what's the matter with my photos?