Board index PBase Questions and Answers Gallery loading

Questions and Answers

Gallery loading

Ask if you need help using PBase.
anon

Gallery loading

Post Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:13 pm

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that when a picture gallery has a black or green background, it takes forever to load? I just skip it and go on to the next gallery. People, if you want others to look at your pictures, stop the fancy stuff.

ugot2bkdng

Post Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:44 pm

I'm with you on that one. :D

That Web Dev CSS is a pain on my eyes. I just keep right on motoring.

Chuck
Chuck

pstewart

Post Mon Dec 29, 2003 4:22 am

anon wrote:Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that when a picture gallery has a black or green background, it takes forever to load?

I have a green background on my gallery. I never noticed a loading problem...has anyone else? The url is under my name. Please let me know if it does load slower than normal, would you? I can change the green to a different color if it does.

Thanks!

rsilfverberg

Post Mon Dec 29, 2003 6:06 am

i have a black background... that loads slower??

http://pbase.com/rsilfverberg

minoltaman

Post Mon Dec 29, 2003 6:13 am

The background colour has nothing to do with the loading time. The loading time is affected by the weight of the style sheet. If you are using the webdev style sheet it loads noticeably slower. If you are not using webdev, don't worry about it.

Green, black, grey,yellow, they all load in the same time. Do not confuse color of the background with the properties and characteristics of the more complicated stylesheets. ie: webdev

The op's statement is quite misleading.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

peirce

Post Mon Dec 29, 2003 8:55 pm

I just tried both sites that requested a test of how fast they load. Both did so in less than one second.
Peirce Behrendt
Member & Volunteer, Danbury Railway Museum
Volunteer & Coach, Special Olympics Connecticut
Staff: TrainBoard.com

anon

I tried again, and now don't see a problem.

Post Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:41 am

Still, there are some galleries that seem to take forever to load... Maybe it's a style sheet problem, as someone said.

minoltaman

Post Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:43 am

Maybe it's a style sheet problem, as someone said.

yup...on older slow machines or machines with smallish dated video cards this "slowness" is extremely evident with many versions of the webdev css.

Cheers

ilanphoto

Post Tue Dec 30, 2003 7:35 am

Has in got nothing to do with the size of the picture files. some have files of over 1MB others have less than 100K I know it effects the time to view a picture but could it also affect the gallery loading time?

minoltaman

Post Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:32 pm

The more thumbs the slower the load. I have tested alll of the style sheets on an old pentium one machine at 90mhz, 80meg ram and a four meg video card. The webdev is BY FAR the heaviest and slowest loading sheet. It is not even close. All of the others "fly" open. The webdev crawls open.

Extreme test I know, but it does tell part of the story.

shecodes

Post Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:48 pm

minoltaman wrote:The more thumbs the slower the load. I have tested alll of the style sheets on an old pentium one machine at 90mhz, 80meg ram and a four meg video card. The webdev is BY FAR the heaviest and slowest loading sheet. It is not even close. All of the others "fly" open. The webdev crawls open.

Extreme test I know, but it does tell part of the story.

The webdev stylesheet can be modified fairly easily to remove the dimmed effect, and that should speed things up a bit.

minoltaman

Post Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:54 pm

The webdev stylesheet can be modified fairly easily to remove the dimmed effect, and that should speed things up a bit.

Yup....too bad the mozilla text justification issues and a few other things are not so easily fixed. :( I already modified a webdev sheet a long time ago and scrapped it a little later for some other stock sheets.

The webdev sheet looses a lot of it's pizazz if you remove the opacity filters I think. My comments here addressed the op's slightly misleading statement.

Cheers

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Gallery loading