Board index PBase Questions and Answers Problems with BMP's & TIFF's Conversion.

Questions and Answers

Problems with BMP's & TIFF's Conversion.

Ask if you need help using PBase.
trrsranch

Problems with BMP's & TIFF's Conversion.

Post Sat Dec 06, 2003 4:34 pm

I've done something to my computer so that I can no longer do anything with Bitmaps. If I download a Bitmap it downloads to My Documents but, when I go to open it and convert it to a Jpeg I get the following Bluish Grey Box that says:

Program Not Found

Windows Cannot Find .exe.

This program is needed for opening files of type 'Windows BMP Image'.

I use Win 98, IE 6, and Office 97 which handles all my photo work for Resizing, Rotating, Cropping, Balance, etc. making it very easy to work with photos. However, for somereason I have lost this .exe. file so that I cannot do anything with Bitmaps. And because many photos start off as TIFF's which I then Save As BMP and then Save AS Jpeg so I can work with a single photo.

Has anyone experienced this problem and if so do you know how to get the .exe. File back so I can start working on photos again? My original setup made working with photos about as simple as possible and would really like to 'RESTORE' the Now missing .exe. File. This just happened in the past week or so and I don't have a clue as to why the .exe. File is no longer available. Is there some place on the internet where I could go to Download that File? Thanks for any help.

bobtrips

Post Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:05 pm

If I understand your post correctly you seem to be using Office 97 as a photo editor. That being the case I'd reload O97, that should restore any missing files.

Then I'd highly suggest that you download a free copy of Irfanview (http://www.irfanview.com). This is an extremely handy program for viewing/sorting/rotating/renaming/file type conversion/etc.

And I'd suggest you think about getting a real photo editing program. There are some excellent ones for around $50 (if you shop) and even some free ones. There are lots and lots of things that an editor can do that one can't do with O97.

trrsranch

Thanks, Bob

Post Sun Dec 07, 2003 9:51 pm

I'll try that and re-install Office. I have downloaded IrFanView. I'll have to figure out how to use it. I'll also have to figure out what Twain Drivers it needs and says I don't have. It looks a lot more complicated than Office 97 which has everything right there, as well as it brings the photo right up to the screen so you can crop, resize, rotate, brighten, darken, etc. I usually don't need to do that much to a photo. Usually just crop and sometimes resize. But, I'll experiment with it and see how I like it. Again, Thanks.

trrsranch

Bob, I Reloaded Office - No Luck!

Post Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:31 am

Still can't do anything with Bitmaps. Guess my next step is to reload Windows and get some of the missing Files and Drivers back. Computers, you either love em or hate em. Right now I'm leaning towards the hate side of the fence. LOL

Anyway, I appreciate the advice. Thanks

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Problems with BMP's & TIFF's Conversion.