Board index PBase Questions and Answers Back Up My Pictures

Questions and Answers

Back Up My Pictures

Ask if you need help using PBase.
mbplee

Back Up My Pictures

Post Thu Nov 06, 2003 7:00 pm

How is it possible to make Differential Back Up's of "My Pictures" when the Back Up's exceed the size of the media, ie CD's. Is there is Free "File Splitter" for this job. and How is it done?

thresholdprod

Post Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:05 am

First you have a misunderstanding of how file storage works unless you shot a 650meg + image :wink:. Gone are the days of backing up across multiple floppies:D There are several freeware programs out there still but why bother?

What you do is, you store the files instead of the folder on the cd and then just start again on the next disk where you left off from the previous for the last photo that fit.

Bill

bobtrips

Post Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:34 am

You might want to make a set of folders inside 'My Pictures'. Start with two folders - 'Unburned' and 'Burned'.

Inside Unburned make a series of folders, one per month for example, and put all the pictures from that month in the appropriate folder.

When you burn a copies (make at least two CD copies - store one far from your computer for fire/theft/etc. safety) of those images move that folder to the 'Burned' folder.

If you have more than ~650 megs of images in a folder you will need to split it into multiple folders.

shecodes

Post Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:01 am

bobtrips wrote:You might want to make a set of folders inside 'My Pictures'. Start with two folders - 'Unburned' and 'Burned'.

Inside Unburned make a series of folders, one per month for example, and put all the pictures from that month in the appropriate folder.

When you burn a copies (make at least two CD copies - store one far from your computer for fire/theft/etc. safety) of those images move that folder to the 'Burned' folder.

If you have more than ~650 megs of images in a folder you will need to split it into multiple folders.

Good suggestions. I make a folder for the month on my hard drive, and then make additional folders names the day. So nov2003 for the first level, and 20031107 for today. I dump my pictures out daily, and it helps with organization. Depending on how many pictures I take, I back up everything to CD. I do cull out some pictures before writing to CD.

I never use the My Pictures folder. :)

olliemaitland

Post Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:45 pm

Alternatively buy a DVD RW

4.7GB is a lot of photos :shock:

thresholdprod

Post Fri Nov 07, 2003 5:44 pm

Cost wise ( for the drive and media) dvdr(rw) are not the way to go yet. And the standards haven't been hammered out clearly so everything is more compatable across the boards to dvd players. Give it a little more time before making the jump and people won't run the risk of getting screwed. However in the near future that will be the way to go.

Bill
Now where did I leave my 7" disketts at.............

juliano

Photos Back Up To CD

Post Fri Nov 07, 2003 6:51 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. It is greatly appreciated. I am sure that there are many others who would find the information useful.

lindacc

Post Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:26 pm

Thank you for this post dialogue, very useful info. Another related question.
:?: Where is the best source/price for high quality CD's for archiving. I have been told by a few professional photographers that Maxwell Pro or Memorex Pro are among the best. What do you think?
Now wanting to use the best daily, it can get quite pricey at your local store. Any bulk outlets?
Thanks for any info
LindaCC
LindaCC

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Back Up My Pictures