Board index PBase Questions and Answers Legal question

Questions and Answers

Legal question

Ask if you need help using PBase.
altofran

Legal question

Post Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:08 am

Hi,

I know that laws may be different between countries, but if someone could give an answer for Canada and the US it would be great.

What about publishing (like on PBase) of pictures of anonymous people we take on the street? Is it legal to publish it? Or legally someone has to have the agrement (impossible!) of every person?

Thanks!

srijith

Re: Legal question

Post Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:12 am

nacef wrote:What about publishing (like on PBase) of pictures of anonymous people we take on the street? Is it legal to publish it? Or legally someone has to have the agrement (impossible!) of every person?

I do not reside in US. But I had read in some mailing list devoted to street photography (actually it was full PDF file that contained legal stuf to be considered when shooting outside) and it mentioned that you do not have to take explicit persmission to shoot (camera!) or publish snaps of people as long as they are in open public places. So, places like a street, or bus stop would be ok. But it seems, places like car park etc. are not ok.

But again, I have no idea about the actual legal aspects. So don't blame me if you are caught :)

altofran

Re: Legal question

Post Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:19 am

srijith wrote:But again, I have no idea about the actual legal aspects. So don't blame me if you are caught :)

I will blame you! :D Just kiddin' I guess I'll have to make a little search on Google to find you exactly. Thanks for your answer!

thresholdprod

Post Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:15 pm

Check on dpreview. This has been discussed in legnth before. I think the general opinion/understanding of the laws are that you can take photos of people in public places. If you are using the images for profit then the rules change. Follow this up with the common sense about not being an a**. If they don't want to be photographed then don't shoot them. If you're going to get sued there has to money there and Joe smo photographer playing with his hobby in the street is of no major interest to a lawyer.

altofran

OK!

Post Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:23 pm

thresholdprod wrote:Follow this up with the common sense about not being an a**. If they don't want to be photographed then don't shoot them.

I totally agree that common sense and good manners tell us how to behave, however I was just curious about the legal point. I'm not interested in any 'voyeur' pictures, just snapshots of spontaneous behaviours of people on the street.

I think I've read something before about profit/non-profit situations. I'll check DpReview.

Thanks

gillettecraig

Post Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:26 pm

In the US, if in a public place (which isn't necessarily the same as a place open to the public), and where you don't have a reasonable expectation of privacy, the pictures should be OK. For commerical use, releases would be needed. However, "legal" doesn't necessarily mean trouble-free.

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Legal question