Board index PBase Questions and Answers How can I download my OWN images ?

Questions and Answers

How can I download my OWN images ?

Ask if you need help using PBase.
scherrer

How can I download my OWN images ?

Post Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:47 pm

I have lost (from my HD) one image that is in one of my gallery... How can I do to download it back ?

TIA for help...

:shock:
J-P.

scherrer

Re: How can I download my OWN images ?

Post Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:38 pm

Don't rush to respond ! I found a way to do it, although not the most easy: I downloaded PB2SMUG.exe/PB2SMUG.DAT ! It works, but it loads the images in one directory, the titles in another one, etc... then sort this out yourselves !!! A hell of a job to make the titles correcpond to the images ! Fortunately I only needed a few images, hence it was easy !

If someone has a better solution, I'll be all over it !

:-)
J-P.

richo

Post Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:09 am

scherrer wrote:Don't rush to respond ! I found a way to do it, although not the most easy: I downloaded PB2SMUG.exe/PB2SMUG.DAT ! It works, but it loads the images in one directory, the titles in another one, etc... then sort this out yourselves !!! A hell of a job to make the titles correcpond to the images ! Fortunately I only needed a few images, hence it was easy !

If someone has a better solution, I'll be all over it !

:-)
J-P.

From my research most of the programs written for pbase.com do not work 100% now after some changes made in the way the site works. I gave up on that concept over 10 years ago. I have folders that match my galleries on pbase.com and other places I upload to. I back up those local folders along with the original images and the Photoshop files and store a copy off site. That way I do not have to go and get any photo from any site, because I already have it stored locally and backed up off site.

ac

Post Sat May 16, 2015 3:07 pm

See what you can do with this :
http://www.uploadjunction.com/

derekslater

Post Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:57 pm

Thanks to ac for the above link to UploadJunction

From my experience over the last few days it does work.

I have copied almost 9000 images from Pbase to Flickr in 38 hours; sounds a long winded thing, but after logging into your accounts on source and destination all you do is click YES and let UploadJunction take care of it all, you do not have to monitor the progress or even stay on line it is all done in the background with a confirmation email being sent on completion.

My interest in this utility , which is completely free, no adverts or hassle, is brought about by some issues with Pbase and the uploading multiple images drag-n-drop which was fine while it lasted but seems to have broken with no sign of a fix, and similar issues with Geotagging. Both issues have been mentioned on these forums and also by email to Pbase, but the complete disinterest from "The Management" has prompted my search for a transfer tool . Whether I continue to support Pbase after 10 years here is immaterial here, this post is just to state my results with UploadJunction

On the PLUS side:-
All images appear to been transferred Ok (bar one)
The confirmation email did eventually arrive
Random checks do not show any corrupted images
Titles and Captions are transferred OK

the NEGATIVES:-
Comments are not transferred
Album structure is not moved over so images will have to be re-sorted BUT it appears that you can drag and drop multiple images to new places so
may not be TOO much of a problem
If you use quotation marks " or the ampersand & within captions , they do not appear correctly on Flickr
Geotagging is not an automatic action , (at least on Pbase it is automatic even though it only seems to work on your OWN images not other peoples)
Some EXIF information has not transferred over; even though there IS EXIF available on Pbase it is not showing on Flickr.

Over the years I have uses FastStone / Photoshop / and Lightroom to upload to Pbase and IIRC PS did have some issues with saving EXIF, so Flickr too may be sensitive to what processing program is used on your images.

I hope this longwinded post is of interest to some on here,, if for nothing else that a free "back-up" to their Pbase images .
ATB Derrek

kstuebin

Post Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:12 am

I used this tool to transfer my photos to Flickr too. I found it did not do so well with galleries that had subgalleries. As mentioned, it does require some cleaning up afterward. And as mentioned, it is fairly easy with the drag and drop. The level of work will vary with the number of photos you have. I've been here since 2002 so I have a huge amount. Be forewarned it won't work perfectly but it does work without the hassle of having to do much of anything except click a button.

captain_superlekker

Post Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:08 am

I have the same problem. I sign in to Flickr through my Yahoo account, which works fine, but through uploadjunction, my yahoo login is not working! I want to leave Pbase as its useless on mobile devices and I'm finding it very worrying that I'm unable to download my OWN copyrighted images.

the Pbase2Smugmug link mentioned earlier no longer works either.

Any ideas?

I don't care about the gallery substructure or comments, I just want my images transferred without going through ten old harddrives! And I'll probably purchase remote storage in the future that's accessible

ssirois

Post Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:59 pm

Hi,

Here's my solution...
I wrote a small Unix bash script that use a tool called "Xidel" to extract URL of image inside web page (and many others things!).
It use an external text file that list all the names of my gallery (http://www.pbase.com/account_name/gallery_name) that I want to download.
Adjust the script for your own username then run my script!

I also use an optional tool called "exiftool" to save the title I gave to the image and store it inside the jpeg file as a metadata (description). This part is up to you.
So here's my script; it's pretty self-explanatory.

galeries.txt
landscape
bugs
others

pbase-extract.sh

Code: Select all
#!/bin/bash
#
# Written by Steve Sirois
# August 25, 2018
#
# Required tools :
# Xidel
# https://github.com/benibela/xidel
#
# exiftool (optional, remove it below if you don't need it):
# https://sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/
#

# ADJUST THIS!!!!!
USERNAME="your-pbase-username"
# ...and let the script do the rest...

IFS=$'\r\n' GLOBIGNORE='*' command eval 'galleries=($(cat galleries.txt))'
# This transform the text file galleries.txt into an array
for (( i=0; i<${#galleries[@]}; i++ ))
do
  # For each gallery, build the main url that show all the photos
  url="http://www.pbase.com/"$USERNAME"/"${galleries[$i]}"&page=all"
  # Then, use xidel to extract the path of each image
  imagepath=( $( xidel $url --xquery '//a/@href[contains(., "'$USERNAME'/image")]' ) )
  # Create a sub-dir for each gallery where to save image
  mkdir -p ${galleries[$i]}
  cd ${galleries[$i]}
  for (( j=0; j<${#imagepath[@]}; j++ ))
  do
    # Now, for each image, get the original file
    curl -s -L ${imagepath[$j]}"/original.jpg" > $j.jpg
    # Optional from here: Get the title of the photo...
    title=$( xidel ${imagepath[$j]} --xquery '//span[@class="title"]' )
    # ...and update the metadata description with this title
    exiftool -Caption-Abstract="$title" \
      -EXIF:ImageDescription="$title" \
      -XMP-tiff:ImageDescription="$title" \
      -XMP-dc:Description="$title" \
      -overwrite_original -q $j.jpg
  done
  cd ..
done
echo "Extraction completed!"

Enjoy!

P.S.: This work only for public and non-public galleries! If you want to backup private password protected gallery, simply disable the password, run the script, and re-apply your passwords.

xhumari

Post Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:11 pm

I've written a small program for backing up one's images. Hope it helps.

https://florian-gh.github.io/pbackup/

Florian.

Board index PBase Questions and Answers How can I download my OWN images ?