Board index PBase Questions and Answers So how did PBase do in 2017?

Questions and Answers

So how did PBase do in 2017?

Ask if you need help using PBase.
akmc_in_au

So how did PBase do in 2017?

Post Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:50 am

In a couple of different threads I've mentioned how PBase's upload stats (the number of images uploaded each year, which can be assumed to run in parallel with its membership) have been tracking over the last few years.

In one word... "badly".

So how did 2017 do? Well, as I describe in my latest screenshots... there is bad news and there is good news.

The bad news is that uploads still fell by 1/5th and that the decline in the Alexa ranking of the site over the past 12 months agrees with that.

The good news is that this is a much-reduced rate of decline compared to last year (which was 28.4%). Indeed, it's a rate which seemed to stabilise and even reverse in the second half of the year, so this ol' site may still have some life left in it.

If you're interested in seeing the actual analysis and screenshot you'll find it in my Salon des Refusés gallery here.

dw_thomas

Re: So how did PBase do in 2017?

Post Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:28 pm

I am almost afraid to say this "out loud," but I've uploaded a number of galleries in the last few months and found the performance is about the best I've ever seen it. So far I see no other site that offers the flexibility here at PBase, so I'm still here.

Happy New Year to all! :D

DaveT

jypsee

Post Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:04 pm

Well, I keep my galleries here because I have lots of family history stuff and themed galleries. But, more and more I'm posting on Flickr because I don't have to reduce the top side on a landscape file to 800 pixels or the vertical side on a portrait mode file to 600 pixels so the image looks crisp. I don't like all the editing I need to do for that. I edit on my iPad Pro and I need three apps to get the job done...with Flickr I just crop and tune and upload.

mardoli

Post Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:08 pm

dw_thomas wrote:I am almost afraid to say this "out loud," but I've uploaded a number of galleries in the last few months and found the performance is about the best I've ever seen it. So far I see no other site that offers the flexibility here at PBase, so I'm still here.

Happy New Year to all! :D

DaveT

I totally agree with you!!!
ImageImage
"Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing."
~Oscar Wilde~

jypsee

Post Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:21 pm

Ive been posting most of my photos on Flickr. There are some that I post here and on Flickr. On Flickr I get LOTS of views, whereas on Pbase I get almost no views. I'm not a commenter, mainly because I want actual interest, not reciprocity. So, I'd say Pbase is really not doing well.
220 views on Flickr; 8 views onPbase

ed1994

Post Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:26 pm

uploads can always be expected to decline year in year as a percentage

why? many people simply don't update their galleries for years... I used to update hugely back in 2004 but now update much less sometimes not for a year or so!

but these folk are still members!

long live pbase... I will always remain loyal :)

mikoyen

Post Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:48 am

I left Pbase for a couple of years because I didn't take pictures at all. But now I am back and plenty of time (retired). I don't want see Pbase closed. I like them a lot, I trust them a lot and I want them to stay alive! Today with all the ''reseaux sociaux'' on the WEB, it is normal business went down. It is happened anywhere, in any business. Facebook and Flickr, these are big and free. On Flickr, you put pictures there but you have no follow up from the members, because to much people on it. And you have anything of stuff on it. I don't like the way the pictures are on the screen, we cannot have something personal like Pbase offers us. Facebook, the most of people are member of it, like me. Facebook is there to do follow up with our family and closed friends. Also they have a lot informations what's happening in the world. But it is not a place to put pictures to get comments and follow up (sorry for the repetition). People on Facebook are not all photographers, Pbase YES. I read Facebook works hard to get a better approach for photograph people. But they have to work hard but like Flickr, to many people on it. Pbase is here and stay here for a long time. When people quit and go to another place thinking it's better, it takes a while but they come back here, at Pbase, like I did. Long life to Pbase!

mikoyen

Post Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:32 am

jypsee wrote:Ive been posting most of my photos on Flickr. There are some that I post here and on Flickr. On Flickr I get LOTS of views, whereas on Pbase I get almost no views. I'm not a commenter, mainly because I want actual interest, not reciprocity. So, I'd say Pbase is really not doing well.
220 views on Flickr; 8 views onPbase

FLICKER has millions users. PBASE not. It is normal we have more viewers on Flickr. Me, I like toe exchange opinions with other photographers, I like to ask advise from the 'Pro' and they answer back. On Pbase, people are interested to exchange. We make friends too. I am a Pbase user since 2003 and I am still on like others like me. It depends what we are looking for. Some people find important to have a lot of views, some others a lot of comments. On Pbase we to comment or appreciate the work of the others if we want to be appreciated. This is fair for me. Guy

mikoyen

Post Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:03 am

How did Pbase do in 2017

We cannot compare Pbase to Flickr: 90 millions Flickr users and 75 millions registered.
Number of photos Flickr members upload high traffic day: 25 millions.
Number of monthly API request on Flickr: 10 billions.
Top camera used Flickr communauty in 2017: Iphone.

My own experience with Flickr:
I am a member (not registered) since 2010. I have 3387 photos on Flickr. Do you have any idea how many views I get since 8 years on Flickr: 72900 views only!!
How people can know you with 90 millions users? How people can appreciate PAD when Flickr members upload 25 millions a day?
I feel very impersonal with Flickr, I don't feel appreciate at all.

I can say also the percentage high quality pictures is quite higher with Pbase than Flickr. The top cameras used by Flickr communauty is the Iphone, I don't see an Iphone user taking pictures of models in a studio or doing a safari!
On Pbase, the most cameras used are Canon and Nikon with an average of 60000 users to compare to 10000 Iphone users (16%). Imagine the percentage with Flickr with the usage of the Iphone. By the way, all my numbers are during 2016-17.

For me it's clear: I begin in photography with Pbase and I continue with them all the way. I feel like to be member of the family, a lot of brothers and sisters!! Guy Dube

jypsee

Post Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:36 pm

I am a Pbase user since 2003

I've been here since 2004...so what? Pbase is older than Flickr. It's fine for what it does. I upload HUGE photos to Flickr and they are nicely rendered at all viewing sizes, whereas with pbase the optimal size is 800 pixels on the landscape view if you want your picture to look decent.
I like pbase for what it is: somewhere that I can make galleries to suit my taste/layout. The thumbnail view is much more pleasing to look at. My family uses my http://www.pbase.com/jypsee/jage_nagonan gallery to share our stories and history.

goislands

Post Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:45 pm

akmc_in_au wrote:In a couple of different threads I've mentioned how PBase's upload stats (the number of images uploaded each year, which can be assumed to run in parallel with its membership) have been tracking over the last few years.

In one word... "badly".

So how did 2017 do? Well, as I describe in my latest screenshots... there is bad news and there is good news.

The bad news is that uploads still fell by 1/5th and that the decline in the Alexa ranking of the site over the past 12 months agrees with that.

The good news is that this is a much-reduced rate of decline compared to last year (which was 28.4%). Indeed, it's a rate which seemed to stabilize and even reverse in the second half of the year, so this ol' site may still have some life left in it.

If you're interested in seeing the actual analysis and screenshot you'll find it in my Salon des Refusés gallery here.

I think that a major factor is how the subscriptions are running, measured on the cost of the backend storage and bandwidth. Pbase does not run with ad's thus Alexa ranking is irrelevant. Maybe even less traffic means less expenses.

But: When we look at most popular camera stats, I see there a dramatic decline in numbers, what would sadly suggest that many people pull their images and go away, thus the subscriptions might also be down. Social networking is only one aspect. Worse is Pbase's apathy and lack of support for mobile devices. Just look at any gallery on a cellphone, how badly the image pages look. Foremost the CSS styles for the standard components like next/prev must be repaired. If not to add the "swipe" function, at the least advance to the next/previous image when tapping on an image on the right or left side. Automatically turn landscape images to horizontal. These would be the few obvious functions, a must to enjoy the galleries on mobile devices.

For me, a veteran here, its sad to watch the decline and "decomposition." I have close to a thousand comments, and I do not want to lose these by moving my images someplace else. But I am afraid, this is exactly what will happen. I am looking into getting a tool to download my galleries, incl the comments. Why? Because I am losing faith.

Board index PBase Questions and Answers So how did PBase do in 2017?