Ask if you need help using PBase.
shadytree

Goodbye Pbase

Post Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:50 am

akmc_in_au

Re: Goodbye Pbase

Post Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:53 pm

Dear PBase

After being a member since around 2003 I can no longer justify your exuberant annual fee compared to other FREE online photo providers.
Not only do you charge a fee where many are free, the website and navigation has NEVER been updated since joining. Why is that ?
Obviously the main reason you don’t provide a MASS download feature is to stop member migrating their photos to these better free providers.
So out of principle I manually downloaded ALL 30 albums and moved every photo to GOOGLE Photos, then deleted everything from pBase.
It was a useful service when new, but I’m afraid you are just holding many archive photo holders to ransom now.

It was nice knowing you

Goodbye!

I'm not sure that this is of such great import that it needs to be posted across 5 different sub-forums, some of which it's off topic for. (HTML and stylesheets, really?) That's less "Goodbye" and closer to "spam".

But that aside... "exuberant"? I do not think this word means what you think it means.

You probably mean "exorbitant", but I'm having a really hard time calling $23 per gigabyte per YEAR either “exorbitant” OR “exuberant”. An amount which incidentally has not changed (except to provide you with more space for the same cost) in over a decade. Are your food bills the same as they were a decade ago? Utilities costs?

As for other sites being “free"... once again I do not think that word means what you think it means. The Internet isn’t a Wonka factory. Someone has to pay for servers, someone has to pay for network bandwidth, someone has to pay for site development. With “free” sites you “pay” in other ways. Google rifles through your stuff to match ads to anything that you’ve ever written in Gmail. Other sites plaster ads all over their pages, which you can stop with an ad blocker... until such time as those sites disappear because they can’t cover their costs. So this “free” thing? You actually mean “Somebody should pay for the services that I use but it should be coming out of someone else’s pocket, not mine”.

There are legitimate grievances with PBase but as with most things in this post-truth world, it’s irritating to see them omitted in favour of hyperbolic and factually incorrect garbage with a vague hint of conspiracy theory thrown in.

To say that there has NEVER been an update since 2004 is arrant nonsense. The file uploader and drag and drop gallery manager is one, Geotagging was introduced even though it does not currently work properly, this forum was updated a few years ago. Are they enough? Do they keep PBase current with more modern technologies like tablets? No to both, but at least be honest about it instead of saying something that is factually wrong.

The same applies to what is “obviously the main reason” for them not providing a bulk downloader. “Obviously” the real reasons are that they aren’t developing much of ANYTHING and if they were, that would probably be at the bottom of anyone’s priority list. “Obviously” anyone with an ounce of sense still has copies of the photos that they uploaded and therefore just as “obviously” there should be no need to waste limited time developing a bulk downloader when there is a stack of things that they need to develop first. And haven’t. And probably won’t, which is a legitimate gripe.

But to suggest that the reason they haven’t is because of some grand conspiracy to hold people hostage? Get a sense of perspective.

Goodbye, With nobody in your favourites group and having made a total of 5 posts in 13 years, all of which are this, I’m sure you’ll be missed.

rsbfotos

Here, Here!

Post Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:41 am

Alan K,
Very well said.
---------------------------------------------------
rsbfotos
You can't see the forest when you sneeze.

parpho

Post Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:01 am

Bravo Alan, the first and last time I have heard of shadytree as far as I remember.
Michael

dw_thomas

Post Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:31 pm

@akmc_in_au, well said!

DaveT

dougj

Post Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:15 am

Well said Alan.

ludo_verhoeven

Post Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:17 am

PBase member since july 2001 and still member ...
... The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence ...

xradiotx

Post Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:29 pm

I agree with many of you and yes Alan, well said. I've been here since 2004 and post to other image hosting sites as well though I always come back.

46er

Post Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:13 pm

ludo_verhoeven wrote:PBase member since july 2001 and still member ...
... The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence ...

Yep, until you step in a cow pie :mrgreen: like the one folks are finding on photobucket.

thresholdprod

Post Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:44 am

Very well said akmc_in_au. Let me flame back this type of post and Temper Tantrum attention seeking person.

I was going to say enjoy those the free sites that have all the annoying spammy ads you'll love(and anyone who comes to see you. Then you get screwed like photo bucket but others beat me to it. That lovely company who broke the numerous forums and destroyed years of educational posting on numerous hobbies. $399.99 per year......Enjoy that deal :lol: Try viewing it without an ad blocking, that PB demand you shut down to see your photos or the images they locked down on numerous forums. You'll find Facebook has great photo hosting with constant """innovation"" aka changes rammed down your throat. PhotoBuck finally beat Image Shacks's frog for the most despised image swap advertisement for a photo hosting site. If you can't figure out while "Google images" are free, you might not understand you are the product being sold. Pbase never used your images and information to sell you out to the data miners. Google on the other hand....

I can't remember which company it was it was, but back when PBase was one the biggest in 3 main photo hosting services( as PC World, Computer Shopper , Wired and several others listed them them in the top 3-5 websites to use circa 2002 when direct linking was rare and people didn't have digitalimagesof themselves oronly a couple), That other Big Photo Hosting Company was one that went belly up. They just shut down it down, one day no warning. No word for a 1-2 weeks, refused to allow limited access for people to get their images back. It would cost too much to put the servers back online for access but they had your data if you wanted to pay. Many didn't back up to multiple hard drives and uploaded directly from their camera and then foolishly deleted the images.... People could get their images but you had to pay them $70-80 usa dollars per CD(700MB) and people had several cds worth due to all the uncompressed originals. Thousands lost all their images. That ripple was felt through the Photograph community and Pbase welcomed them with open arms with free unlimited storage accounts.

That was back when you knew if PBase was having issues when university finals testing was happening Slug wouldn't be as quick due to taking his tests. Then were issues at Christmas where everyone pretty much DOS attacked the site with all their Christmas images and especially on their big brand new 4-5 megapixal camera...

The person gripes about paying Pbase to be left alone, not have the interface constantly tweaked, not to have them constantly trying to find new ways to monetize you and harass the people viewing your images. They upgrade the back end, make offsite back ups, replace server array hard drives and leave people alone . With a interface they can use CSS to make their Account's pages as complex or as simple as they want.

I'm staying here, I paid to support this site for several years when it was free with no account size limit and people used it upload their whole hard drive(s) of images they saved . Because of the great work the owners did, I volunteered my time in the forms to answer numerous questions and help people. So did others while taking heat from frustrated people who ddidn't understand how to do something. Pbase never intended the forums to be used for communication by the admins. I caught the PAD people's trick with how they were scamming voting for popular images. The list goes on and on. I've paid several years in advance and plan to to do another 5-10 soon. The upside is when I no longer can pay hence my life is over, my account will go into memorial status, and the direct links will stay working. Is there a risk PBase and Slug & Emily may not last a long life, yes but they will live longer than me and everyone I photographed & uploaded here for the most part. Nothing lasts forever but this site outlasted Aol hometown, geocities, and the internet dial provider's(for everyone how many can you still name?) websites people built hosting their images. I wish Pbased allowed video files but that type of storage brings issues. Uploading pdfs would be nice but if i want all that I need to rent some server space and run my own website because it is beyond sharing pictures with other people.

I could probably type out at least 15-20 places people were leaving PBase for that are no longer there. If PBase is so bad and trival, why did you have Flounce off in such a big huff? Not that I expect answer..... You're lurking around hoping someone will say stay, you'll get some attention. If you have been here and are as knowledgeable as you claim, you know which email address are answered . They're pretty easy to find. ** Hint** Hint*** the Help pages have them listed. But you wanted attention not help with a real issue. You want to have a full website with all the bells and whistles , feel free. Paying for hosting services with a your own domain isn't that expensive, unless you're popular.... PBase doesn't punish people for traffic from them asses viewing the images, never had bandwidth limit for 24 hours or per week unless you were doing something pretty large and abusing the site for hosting services for large scale commercial. Looking at page views totals, you aren't that big.

Wait shadytree is from the Uk that explains is whininess. Leaving so so so so much, that they deleted account and their account name...Oh wait they didn't these images are direct link from Pbase. So despite their rants they are still using PBase. Not even their Great new site they are going to.....

Bill Freeman
"A picture may be worth a thousand words, but usually consumes the bandwidth of more than two thousand." --Gym Quirk
Many great words of wisdom and advice http://www.pbase.com/help http://pbasewiki.srijith.net/

fishit

Post Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:11 pm

The once good support and communications from PBase is not what it use to be.
The "free" places you mention to place your photos, are not free, they make money off you.
I had hoped PBase would at some point offer better customer service and guidance.
They have increase storage for what is a very fair price as long as the website is working correctly.

There are no free lunches.

You the "free sites" by "Pay" by allowing them to gather your personal information and sell it to marketing firms who use that to make a profit for sales and promotions.
Facebook as an example is very invasive in what they gather information wise with their "users" and sell that to Dunhumby or other companies.
They in turn use that information to sell to company marketing departments so they can contour products and services.

shadytree wrote:Image

parpho

Post Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:34 am

Walked away from double the amount of space at same price. Smooth move!
parpho

expressionunlimited

Post Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:28 am

I just remembered I had it .... but as they asked for money, and are tricky and time consuming to use ... I will be leaving too

zeusatolympus

Post Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:33 am

I guess you missed the point! It’s not just about the photos it about the people! I joined pbase because people I know from another sites were here. I have met some great people here and sometimes face 2 face. Seen this on other sites where someone wants to trash it on the way out but it looks like you won’t be missed because you were never really here. You wasted your tiny bit of money doing nothing.... This post was the only thing you did! You never connected with anyone here so don't let the hard drive hit ya on the ass on the way out!

asianodyssey

Post Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:40 pm

Why can't the owners of PBase adapt the site to become mobile friendly. i.e. with a swipeable interface, and where the images snap to (i.e. can fill) the resolution of whatever device they are being viewed on. Or at least offer a choice of viewing options in that context. Those would address the principal grievances of many.
Last edited by asianodyssey on Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Next

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Goodbye Pbase