Board index PBase News PBase Statistics page returns

News

PBase Statistics page returns

mytmoss

Re: PBase Statistics page returns

Post Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:45 pm

akmc_in_au wrote:
bracciodiferro wrote:Okay now we have this complicated system of statistics...
BUT PLEASE you must run well the old system of statistics for each image ( under the photo...) and the total count:was simple and immediate!!

I may be misremembering but I don't recall any of the old stats being immediate. Third party ones yes, but not PBase ones. As best I recall it all of them only updated once per day, though I could be wrong. (I've never paid that much attention to them before, less now that I know why I could never make sense of the numbers. I glance at the total number on the home page (not that there's any point doing that at the moment), but for details I go to StatCounter.)

The daily total count was once a day. The count on individual photos was updated as they happened.

Mike

hydro2005

Post Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:34 pm

I haven't gone into this somewhat confusing stat issue much, since it apparently is a work in progress. But what I would like to know is whether these stats are supposed to be accurate right now, even in this "work in progress". For example, I open a gallery and click on a day that states there were 192 hits, and individual images appear to the right with hit counts under them. But adding up the image totals much exceeds the gallery hit count in the left pane. How can this be?

I'm not all wound up over the sluggish (pun intended) pace of this recovery. I am hoping that eventually it all gets sorted out. But I believe admin promised stat recovery that pre-dates the server crash, and I don't see that. I also agree that the basic info that used to exist should be where you start from. I don't get the effusive comments about how everything looks and works at this stage of the game. Additional bells and whistles are fine as an enhancement, but it seems like you should get the foundation down before installing the ceiling.

I am wondering if the old stats are gone, and Sep 24th or whatever is going to be the reset number for everything. Any comment from ADMIN on this?

christophertravels

Post Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:45 am

I can read my hits for each day on the new stats counter, but my profile page still has the total as of September 24th when it all stopped. Will the new stats be added to this total anytime soon? Or are we starting from zero? I was getting closer to a "milestone" number of 1/2 million total hits, but it has not been added to in two months.

tim32225

Post Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:12 am

The answers to these questions (and many others that people continue to ask here) have all been answered earlier in this thread. If folks want to know the answers, all they need do is read a little. But for the sake of saving them some time, here are a few answers....

Gallery hit counts do not include the hits to individual photos in the gallery, so yes, the gallery hit count is correct. It has always been that way on pbase and the new stats page did not change it.

The hit totals in your profile page will be updated as soon as they finish the "fix" of the new stats program. I have no idea how long this might take, and to my knowledge, nobody from pbase support has given us that info. The count will NOT start back at zero - it will add the last 7 weeks or so of hits to the total you had at the time of the crash. The same is true with hits on individual photos (you can see the hit totals for each image on the summary page, but not when you click on an individual photo. This is supposed to also be fixed but no timeframe was given.

hydro2005 wrote:I haven't gone into this somewhat confusing stat issue much, since it apparently is a work in progress. But what I would like to know is whether these stats are supposed to be accurate right now, even in this "work in progress". For example, I open a gallery and click on a day that states there were 192 hits, and individual images appear to the right with hit counts under them. But adding up the image totals much exceeds the gallery hit count in the left pane. How can this be?

I'm not all wound up over the sluggish (pun intended) pace of this recovery. I am hoping that eventually it all gets sorted out. But I believe admin promised stat recovery that pre-dates the server crash, and I don't see that. I also agree that the basic info that used to exist should be where you start from. I don't get the effusive comments about how everything looks and works at this stage of the game. Additional bells and whistles are fine as an enhancement, but it seems like you should get the foundation down before installing the ceiling.

I am wondering if the old stats are gone, and Sep 24th or whatever is going to be the reset number for everything. Any comment from ADMIN on this?

larsjohnsson

Post Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:46 am

mytmoss wrote:I am not going to ooh and ahh on the nice new statistics. I cannot tell how many hits my pictures have and I cannot tell how many hits my site has. Two big basics I had before. The support is still pathetic and the new stats does not make me feel any better. I do not think they have done great work. In the world of computers these days, their process of recovery so far would get a solid D. The only reason its not an F is they have managed to get some stuff working on a non timely basis.

Mike

+1 It's the same for me. The only two stats that I'm intereted in and that I always has been looking at is. The total numbers of hits for my site. And the total numbers for each image.
Why not fix that instead of trying to make new things. Like the new boring direct linking stat. What's the point of that if I can't see the hits for my site or pictures ????

cartmg91

Post Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:32 am

I'm disappointed. Things should have been brought back they way they were orginally before new features were added. Now we have a stats system that no one has any faith in. I've been using Flickr more and more this past year and its a much better service. I'm sorry to say that I wont be renewing my membership on Pbase when it expires. Its a sad day.

jaapblom

Post Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:08 pm

No stats today ???
My stats haven't been updated today. Should have happened 4 hours ago!

akmc_in_au

Post Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:26 pm

jaapblom wrote:No stats today ???
My stats haven't been updated today. Should have happened 4 hours ago!

How do you figure?

The hourly breakdown is based on UTC (kinda sorta like the old GMT) which, as someone else opined in one of these threads, is not entirely helpful but that's another issue. I'd therefore expect that they would update only after midnight UTC time, which was about 12 hours away from your post if I'm reading the timestamp on your post and doing my horological mental gymnastics correctly.

The last stats I have are for the 19th of November which I'd imagine would have been generated some time after midnight on the 19th/20th, which was 11am on the 20th (local time) here.

Similarly UTC midnight on the 20th/21st (some time after which stats for the 20th should be available) will occur in just over 5 and a half hours from this post.

ronaldgjohnson

Post Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:02 pm

I'm not sure of the correct terminology, thus I'm confused about the hit-counters. The "total page views" on my prolfile page does not update. Also, the page views on the individual images do not show any page views. Will all these features eventually return as they were before the power outage problems? The new statistics page looks great on Window 7 32bit Ent., IE7, IE8 & Firefox 3.5. Thanks for the updates.

akmc_in_au

Post Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:23 pm

ronaldgjohnson wrote:I'm not sure of the correct terminology, thus I'm confused about the hit-counters. The "total page views" on my prolfile page does not update. Also, the page views on the individual images do not show any page views. Will all these features eventually return as they were before the power outage problems?

See NKirby's post on page 6 of this thread from 15 November (my time):

NKirby wrote:First, several people are commenting that they would like to see the hitcount numbers return to image and gallery pages. This is the next step and requires a little more backend preparation but we haven't forgotten about it at all. Also, your profile page currently shows your hitcounts up to September 24th, this will be corrected along with the gallery and image counts.

As for the timing, you need to refer to the Nickelback song "Someday":

Chad Kroeger wrote:How the hell'd we wind up like this?
Why weren't we able,
to see the stats that we missed,
And try to turn the tables

Someday, somehow
They're gonna make it all right, but not right now
I know you're wondering when...

:wink:

wildoat

Post Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:15 am

Hi Slug and the gang,

these things/ improvements have been a long time coming and if I am completely frank the members patience has been well and truly tried.
I have opened a new gallery elsewhere as relying on one source can and has proven to be costly.
We all appreciate I`m sure the effort you guys have been going to and look forward to it all becoming fully operational.
Best regards
Tony

william_moss_photography

Post Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:12 pm

cartmg91 wrote:I'm disappointed. Things should have been brought back they way they were orginally before new features were added. Now we have a stats system that no one has any faith in. I've been using Flickr more and more this past year and its a much better service. I'm sorry to say that I wont be renewing my membership on Pbase when it expires. Its a sad day.

I like the groups at Flickr, but the photo sharing/display is among the worst one out there, IMO.

cheetha

Post Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:08 pm

Sorry but i don't see any change in the total hit counts, of the pages or of any individual picture, just the general info on the main page of the new statistic.
When will the rest work again??????

bracciodiferro

Post Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:49 am

....The last news:
We are still working on the hitcount totals that show on your image, gallery, and profile pages. We know that many of you use it to sort the images in your galleries. It will be back as soon as we can integrate it with the new stats system in a way that is fast and efficient.

Your patience is greatly appreciated.
-The PBase Team

Heep heep hurray!!
My day starts well today!!! :!: :shock: :lol:
Paolo

gunnarhorpestad

Post Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:36 am

nkirby wrote:We are very happy to offer a look at the new statistics page to all the PBase users here in the forum. We would like to apologize again to those of you who missed this feature in its absence, however we think you will be pleased with the new page.

We are only linking to the new statistics from the forums for the time being. We plan to make some additions and tweaks to the page before it gets linked back to stats.pbase.com. The page has been tested on several browsers and systems, but we are counting on your feedback to help improve it and catch any bugs that our testing may have missed.

The new page currently functions very similarly to the old one with some user interface improvements and an additional view that allows you to see the hourly breakdown of your aggregate traffic for a given day. The help page's statistics section has been updated to explain the navigation and layout of the page, but hopefully it will prove to be straightforward enough for most of you.

In addition to the new look and speed improvements, there is a whole new method being used for gathering and organizing hitcount data. This new method is an exciting improvement for a couple of reasons. The statistics is now all handled on dedicated hardware, which means we have taken some stress off of the main site, making PBase faster overall. It also allows us to provide you with more detailed information about your page views.

Enjoy!
Please feel free to make suggestions. They will be taken into consideration.

http://www.pbase.com/stats/

--------------------------------------------------
Updated on 11/17/2009:

We recently added the ability to view your direct link statistics. You will notice a link in the top right of your stats pages that says 'direct links'. This link will reload the page you are on and display any relevant direct link statistics. Only images can have direct links, so the 'Most Viewed' table on the right of some stats pages will change to only showing image direct link stats. On the gallery stats pages the main graph will not change when you view direct link data, only the 'Most Viewed' table will change.

SORRY, but check...........
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=42712
Gunnar Horpestad
Norway and China
Canon Enthusiast
Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon EOS 20D, Canon EOS 300D, Canon G9, Canon XH A1 Camcorder
http://www.pbase.com/gunnarhorpestad
! Never look back and regret,
look back and smile at what you have learned !

PreviousNext

Board index PBase News PBase Statistics page returns