Board index PBase News 24-Sep Downtime

News

24-Sep Downtime

smeredith

Re: 24-Sep Downtime

Post Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:28 pm

[quote="scatts"Nice to see that this downtime is being handled the same as previous - average communication but good outcome and a lot of genuine hard work in between. :)[/quote]
Average communication??? That's being generous to say the least.
Good outcome??? It's not even fixed from a month and a half ago yet! A little premature to talk about the outcome I think.
A lot of genuine hard work??? How do you know?

tim32225

Post Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:31 pm

fishit wrote:
jacklouis wrote:I think the best way for PBase to insure its survival is to offer unlimited storage for its basic subscription fee.

I do like this idea, or at least increased storage.

Think again!

With all due respect, I don't think you have a clue. Unlimited storage would result in tons of large uploads...
which would slow the site down to a crawl because of the added bandwidth. And obviously this could not be offered
for free because it would require a lot more expense to run. (you must be a democrat). Just remember, in the real
world, there's no free lunch. Someone has to pay.

It might be better to actually enforce the 30-day free trial and actually freeze the trial accounts at 30 days if the
person does not subscribe after the 30 days. Currently, there are thousands of delinquent 'trial accounts' that are
basically a waste of space imho.

tim32225

Post Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:36 pm

jacklouis wrote:I think the best way for PBase to insure its survival is to offer unlimited storage for its basic subscription fee.

You could probably have your wish if the basic subscription fee were raised to about $100. But I seriously doubt others here would be
in favor of that.

bracciodiferro

Post Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:24 am

Hi folks!

about "the next couple of days"...
On 31 oct Slug wrote:

"Hitcounts/Statistics.
We've completely redone the statistics system and these pages will be coming online in the next couple of days. The new system will be far more efficient. (less work for the database), as well as having much more information than previously available. Stats for the last month will be there. This info is not lost, just currently not displayed."

Now i ask when the statistic sistem will be start again ?

Best,
Paolo

i_fly

Post Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:48 am

My guess here is that the real problem is not wht we've been told, and possibly a more serious one. Reinstating and updating the stats counter, based on the assumption that all data is in fact intact (that's what we've been told anyway) does not need all the time that has now passed from the crash. My faith in the integrity og Pbase is gradually fading away at an ever faster pace. One can't help if some financial troubles are playing part here - I guess that the initial measures after the crash made a huge impact on the balance sheet.

gb_eh

Post Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:03 pm

Others offer unlimited for way less than $100 both Smugmug and Zenfolio both offer unlimited at the $40 level. I had reached my 500mb limit and would have been paying almost $50 for 1gig here.. With low res copies of my images.. now with Zen I have unlimited and upload originals size files as an offsite back up. Happy with the service so far.. I really hope things go well for those that remain here!!

tim32225 wrote:

You could probably have your wish if the basic subscription fee were raised to about $100. But I seriously doubt others here would be
in favor of that.

fishit

Post Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:27 pm

[quote="gb_eh"]Others offer unlimited for way less than $100 both Smugmug and Zenfolio both offer unlimited at the $40 level. I had reached my 500mb limit and would have been paying almost $50 for 1gig here.. With low res copies of my images.. now with Zen I have unlimited and upload originals size files as an offsite back up. Happy with the service so far.. I really hope things go well for those that remain here!!

gb_eh why do you keep posting your complaints about PBase here if you are moving to Zenfolio?
Zenfolio is OK, but not very flexible and not really much of a photographer community, I know I have a account there.
I do not plan on renewing with them when my year is up.

It would be nice to have more storage here for a couple dollars more like another site has in place now.
But there is not another site like PBase and how it works and the interaction of the photographers.
I have accounts just about every where else and for my money I really like PBase, it is not perfect but for the money it is well worth it.
In short gb_eh, sorry you do not like what happened but please take it down the road and stop trashing PBase and the owners.

heez10

Post Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:37 am

Pbase is a community of interacting photographers who become friends, this you find nowhere else, Pbase is here to stay because "we" are Pbase!

mjlamoon

Post Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:18 pm

bracciodiferro wrote:Hi folks!

On 31 oct Slug wrote:

"Hitcounts/Statistics.
We've completely redone the statistics system and these pages will be coming online in the next couple of days. The new system will be far more efficient. (less work for the database), as well as having much more information than previously available. Stats for the last month will be there. This info is not lost, just currently not displayed."

Best,
Paolo

Hi Paolo,
They are on American time / Siesta time. for a couple of days read weeks! Still think PBASE is the best although DeviantArt is fun! Keep up your great photos
Regards, Martin

maakif

Post Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:56 pm

Hi,
I sent the following email on sept 26 and never got any response back:

"Hi,

I understand that there was a power outage and as a result your database servers are hosed. Being an IT manager, I would expect from an E-com business such as Phase to have had multiple layers of redundancy in place
such as nightly back-ups, idle hardware configured and ready to go in addition to having an off-site Disaster recovery site that mirrors production data real time and in an event of catastrophic failure can be switched with
hours if not within minutes.

I have been with Pbase since 2004 and have not seen any significant improvement to enhance the site or to improve the user experience. On the other hand, smug mug has made great strides in those areas.
In fact they are so confident about their business model that they offer their users the ability to request back-up of their entire photo, video on CD/DVD media.

That said I have two questions: 1) What is the ETA on site being fully restored; 2) How Pbase is planning to deal with these kind of situations in future."

I didn't get any communication on the free month either - what's going on?

bracciodiferro

Post Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:01 am

About the PBase's improvements statistics....
Today i swich on my pc and i look on my profile page:

"Statistics View Galleries : Bracciodiferro has 87 galleries and 2004 images online.
These pages have been viewed a total of 1666141 times.
View Guestbook : 821904 messages. Most recent on 00-DECEMBER-09"
I have to laugh ? or must I cry??

Thanks Slug!....

Paolo

greybeard_images

Post Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:13 am

bracciodiferro wrote:About the PBase's improvements statistics....
Today i swich on my pc and i look on my profile page:

"Statistics View Galleries : Bracciodiferro has 87 galleries and 2004 images online.
These pages have been viewed a total of 1666141 times.
View Guestbook : 821904 messages. Most recent on 00-DECEMBER-09"
I have to laugh ? or must I cry??

Thanks Slug!....

Paolo

slacker! I had 717,000 + guestbook messages!
This is SO pathetic

There was a time when there was a qualified staff of people working the site. Now there is only Emily and Slug...
After 6 weeks we now know that neither of them have a clue and all they can do is shamelessly post periodic BS messages about great things coming.
The only thing efficient here is the India support person who VERY efficiently manages money matters.
What a joke, lesson learned. Shame on me as a career hardware/software industry professional for tolerating this crap.
I'll ride out my next 10 months but I've moved on to another site.
Love you all my friends. Catch you on Facebook and my new professionally run photo site.

davel

Post Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:17 am

heez10 wrote:Pbase is a community of interacting photographers who become friends, this you find nowhere else, Pbase is here to stay because "we" are Pbase!

I agree. I'm a lifetime software professional and an amateur photgrapher. I've tried a lot of other sites; resolution or performance is poor compared to Pbase, and if performance is good it is costly.

Following a catastrophic failure, when the power outage was too long for the backup systems, the site was down for a few days, but I'm now finding the performance to be much better than it was - well done Slug and Emily!

I'm extremely interested in statistics - and am missing them, particularly with some recent new galleries that I'd like to monitor - but I can wait for a few days.

Why don't people recognise how good the site is, and stop complaining about the statistics fix taking longer than expected?

larsjohnsson

Post Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:56 am

bracciodiferro wrote:Hi folks!

On 31 oct Slug wrote:

"Hitcounts/Statistics.

Best,
Paolo

Probably he mean, the next couple of months. Or maybe years..........We are talking about 1½ months and not working :( :x

larsjohnsson

Post Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:04 pm

heez10 wrote:Pbase is a community of interacting photographers who become friends, this you find nowhere else, Pbase is here to stay because "we" are Pbase!

It's only here to stay if it's working :(
If it's not working or working very bad. Like it has been doing the last two months. Then the people will leave to Smugmug, Zenfolio, Shutterfly and similar places. Already a lot of people who sell photos have done so.

PreviousNext

Board index PBase News 24-Sep Downtime