Board index PBase News PBase Maps Beta

News

PBase Maps Beta

ralf

Post Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:02 pm

I can understand 10+ as a simple way to referencing more than 10 pictures but was curious that when I put 6 shots in one location it shows at 2+.

There are only a small number of different pins: single photo, 2+, 10+, 100+ (and maybe 1000+? I haven't tagged enough yet to see :-))

http://maps.pbase.com/ralf

djwixx

Post Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:55 am

ralf wrote:
I can understand 10+ as a simple way to referencing more than 10 pictures but was curious that when I put 6 shots in one location it shows at 2+.

There are only a small number of different pins: single photo, 2+, 10+, 100+ (and maybe 1000+? I haven't tagged enough yet to see :-))

http://maps.pbase.com/ralf

A good enough answer for me - THANKS AGAIN RALF.

ckirby
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:28 pm

I just updated the site to address some requests you guys made. Now, when you click on a thumbnail it shows the large (or original if there is no large) size of that image. When you click a marker and another marker is open it actually opens that marker instead of just closing the other marker. Other than that, I fixed some bugs you might have come across. Keep up the constructive criticism.

bobfloyd

Post Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:43 pm

slug wrote:anything you upload in the future with GPS in the EXIF.

-slug

Slug,

This is great as long as there is a way to turn it off for certain photos without me stripping it out of my EXIF. For example, I really don't want to give everyone in the world the exact location of my home on the map. This needs an "on/off" switch for security. Maybe it already has one that I just haven't found yet.

Not that my camera has GPS data yet but one day...

Otherwise pretty cool. I agree with the precision idea you put forth in a seperate post. Going back and forth between the sat view and map view to get it just right has been loads of fun, especially for my shots in China where Google Maps is not so great. Thanks for the effort.

nolock

Post Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:56 pm

In the absence of a specific show/don't show geotag location feature, you could just manually change the location to zero/zero, for example, or some other 'out in the ocean' locale.

slug
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:56 pm

We are aware of but haven't addressed the security/privacy issue yet.
I'm going on the assumption that since the tech is fairly recent, anybody who goes to the trouble of adding GPS data to their photos wants the location to be known. And there's password protection for the time being.

I figure in five years though, the majority of photos will have GPS data in them whether the photographer is aware of it or not, so we'll be adding the "on/off" switch.

You mention China. It's unfortunate that some regions of Google maps aren't very well supported. If you go to google.cn and view the maps there, they have far more detailed road maps of China. Must be a licensing issue between Google and the data providers.
A few months ago, google.com didn't even show the location of Beijing or Shanghai but now it does. Hopefully they'll continue in the direction of adding more data.

-slug

mango_icecream

Re: PBase Maps Beta

Post Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:27 am

I'd like to b able 2 use http://maps.pbase.com , select an area (i.e. 10 by 10 city street block) on the map, and see all pictures that have been geotagged not just by me but by other members as well. Is this feature currently available 4 use, and if not, could u implement that? If the answer has already been answered, I apologize (but please give me a link to get the answer)… Tia.

slug
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:43 pm

mango_icecream-
I definitely would like to be able to do that too.
And we'll be able to eventually, but it's not here yet.
We started out with just single person pages, so we could start geotagging our photos. We'll be improving that for a while and then we'll start adding multi-user displays. Hopefully by then, there will be enough photos tagged to make things interesting.

-slug

jpmccormac

Multiple Tagging - Yes

Post Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:09 pm

I'd like this function also.

larena wrote:Is it possible to tag multiple photos at once, rather than updating them individually? Most of my photos were taken at the same place, so it would be handy to select all photos in a gallery (maybe using the 'Batch Update Selected Images in this Gallery' feature) to give them the same coordinates.

pingupingu

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:14 pm

in the gallery , indicate under the thumbnails an icon showing that the picture is geolocated (with the link, like in the whole picture page)

abv

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:57 pm

siriusdoggy

Post Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:15 am

To Carysb.. and anyone else that's interested.

I purchased the GisteqPro a while back - http://www.gisteq.com/PhotoTrackrPro.php
The reason I went with the Pro version is because it handles RAW files perfectly.
Here's a real quick and dirty way the program/hardware works:

First you charge the device. It's a very small piece of gear, about the size of the pagers from years past for those of us old enough to remember pagers.
You turn it on (outside where it can recieve a satellite signal). It takes about 45-60 seconds to aquire a signal and alerts you when it has.
Then you plug it into your computer and launch the Gisteq software.
Click on the "Sync Camera Time" button and a window pops up that shows you the exact time that the device has received from the satellite.
Turn on your camera and set your camera time to the same time as the display.
To get this really accurate you need to pull the small watch size battery that most camera's use to maintain the date/time info.
Pull the battery and replace it when the popup window seconds reaches :00
Then set the hr:min time to the same as the display.
Your camera is now synced up with the geotagger.
Go out and shoot photos while you are carrying the device with you. (make sure it's turned on and receiving the signal.)
Next hook up the device to your computer and download the "Trip Record".
Download the photos to a folder on your computer and import them using the "Photo Management" button.
Now the program will compare the time embedded into the photos EXIF data with the time from the trip log and will embed the time closes to the camera time into the EXIF data.
Just so you know the geotagger records your location every 6 seconds by default. If you are walking around that is plenty accurate enough. Just how far can you walk in 6 seconds????

Hopefully that explains it. It seems like a lot but it's actually very easy. It took me twice as long to write this as it does to actually do it.

victorengel

Post Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:14 am

I haven't read through the entire thread yet, so I apologize if this has already been suggested. I'm betting it hasn't.

I've seen mentioned the desire to add the ability to extract GPS data from pictures. Just as valuable to me, since my camera doesn't record GPS would be to have a feature that automatically merges a GPS data file with existing pictures using EXIF date/time to sync the two. Obviously, this wouldn't be accurate if the time setting of the camera and the GPS unit mismatched (which probably really just means the time on the camera is off) and the cameraman was moving around quickly. But I bet most of the pictures I'd be interested in doing this for are ones where I'm not moving around that much.

As far as feedback for how things work, and how they can be improved, I have one specific request:

When entering a search for, say, and address, if the search was unsuccessful, it's not obvious how to return to a form where a subsequent search can be performed. Ideally, if the search failed, the user should stay in the form that generated the search in the first place so that it can quickly be corrected.

Victor

csully

Post Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:37 am

ckirby wrote:- automatically take gps data from exif to geotag your images when you upload them

Wow, that would be super.
How will we know when it is implemented? Any idea how soon?
Thanks

slug
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:35 pm

csully -
Automatic extraction of GPS data from EXIF is already implemented. Try it.

victorengel -
We plan on building that tool right into PBase as soon as we can. I started out looking at ways to make good documentation for various processes for synching a GPS tracklog with photos.
Then I realized we could just write our own tool that would allow the upload of a tracklog directly to PBase. Then we could do all the work of looking at your already uploaded photos and then geotagging them.
This feature isn't trivial and will take some time to implement, so while you're waitiing, there is lots of software out there that accomplishes the same thing.

-slug

PreviousNext

Board index PBase News PBase Maps Beta