Post Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:28 pm

This is FUN! Thanks! :-)
Rosie

See what I've seen...

tremont

Re:

Post Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:36 pm

slug wrote:djwixx-
If you feel the need to geotag multiple photos in the exact same spot, you don't have to enter any information time and time again.
If you position one photo, then select another in the same gallery, it starts out in the same position. Just click save, click the next photo. Repeat.

-slug

firefox/IE/XP/cable

lick next & it winds up on the other side of the world..

gallery list does not load in sidebar.

gsansoucie

Re: PBase Maps Beta

Post Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:45 am

1) I'm digging this new GeoTagging feature. What would be very helpful, however, is for the initial location to be centered on the Location information in the Exif data, rather than Africa.

2) I can type in the city & state and do a search to get the pin to center on the city, then fine-tune the actual location. However, couldn't you automate this?

AND...

3) If you can automate this, can you zoom in quite a bit?

(This is all relating to the GeoTagging and not the viewing of GeoTagged photos...)

(I'd originally posted this in: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=36724)

rakerman

Post Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:21 pm

pingupingu wrote:in the gallery , indicate under the thumbnails an icon showing that the picture is geolocated (with the link, like in the whole picture page)

There's a proposed standard for this:

http://www.geotagicons.com/

csdesign

Post Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:54 pm

I would like to be able to see geotags for a gallery and its subgalleries all on the same map. For example, if I have a gallery for Florida which contains seperate galleries for Orlando, Miami, Clearwater etc I would like to see them on an overall map of Florida, without having to see all of my geotags for other parts of the world.

nolock

Post Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:57 pm

csdesign wrote:I would like to be able to see geotags for a gallery and its subgalleries all on the same map. For example, if I have a gallery for Florida which contains seperate galleries for Orlando, Miami, Clearwater etc I would like to see them on an overall map of Florida, without having to see all of my geotags for other parts of the world.

As a possible work-around on that, you could use html to put links to your gallery & sub-gallery 'satellite views' in the 'comments' part of your gallery, like this: http://www.pbase.com/nolock/lillooet - note that this gallery doesn't have any sub-galleries, but if it did a link for that could be added. I'm putting the link 'front & center' like that mainly because I think it's probably easier for a casual viewer to notice that a 'gallery satellite view' is available at all.

winstonmitchell

Post Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:31 pm

I already have a gallery of geotagged images. It was created before this feature became available. How do I get pbase maps to recognize them as geotagged?
Recent uploads display the "view map" link and work just fine.
Winston Mitchell
Boise, Idaho

s4b

Re: PBase Maps Beta - Narrowing Map Fields

Post Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:31 pm

nolock wrote:As a possible work-around on that, you could use html to put links to your gallery & sub-gallery 'satellite views' in the 'comments' part of your gallery, like this: http://www.pbase.com/nolock/lillooet - note that this gallery doesn't have any sub-galleries, but if it did a link for that could be added. I'm putting the link 'front & center' like that mainly because I think it's probably easier for a casual viewer to notice that a 'gallery satellite view' is available at all.

Thanks nolock for the work around, I had been wondering about this and just back from playing around with your idea. It was very cool that I could display just my waterfalls gallery geo tags for instance. I do have an "Oregon Coast" gallery that has several sub-galleries below it, as it sounds like you know, trying to display my Oregon Coast gallery doesn't show any of the geotagged pics in the sub galleries. The same with my Man Made gallery

I would like to do both if possible, being able to show all pins from the main gallery (gallery and subgallery pins) and then be able to zoom into an area or town I have isolated in a subgallery, showing only those subgallery pins.

I like the idea of having a tree view of my gallerys in the area at left when I an just viewing. By clicking on a gallery or subgallery you could narrow the map to those fields, with subgallery images being pinned as well when viewing a parent directory. I think I would also prefer this method when "cruising" other members photos by satellite.

I'm hoping this is a good idea and others might be interested as well?

Michael

s4b

Post Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:56 pm

My apologies for being an idiot :( I guess a tree list is available for viewing if logged in, but not for public viewing (I know it's not fully public yet)...

dosseman

Re: Re:

Post Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:32 am

First of all: compliments for the rapid improvements on what will be a great feature. When I saw the feature first my reaction was the same as Iarena's. See quote.

larena wrote:Is it possible to tag multiple photos at once, rather than updating them individually? Most of my photos were taken at the same place, so it would be handy to select all photos in a gallery (maybe using the 'Batch Update Selected Images in this Gallery' feature) to give them the same coordinates.

I have (now) only galleries about Turkey, with almost 20.000 pictures in 235 galleries. Many concern a specific city and although I agree with Slug that one should put a tag as close to the actual location as possible, in some cases there simply are no street-maps of the villages and small towns I showed. And although I quickly found I can tag a series of pictures consecutively once I have located the first in the series, I do not see me do so for galleries that in some cases show 200 pictures in a single museum. The solution I found ans saw later in the forum too is not good enough in my mind:

tremont wrote:
slug wrote:djwixx-
If you feel the need to geotag multiple photos in the exact same spot, you don't have to enter any information time and time again.
If you position one photo, then select another in the same gallery, it starts out in the same position. Just click save, click the next photo. Repeat.

-slug

However, I would be very pleased if there was a function like Ctrl-A to include all pictures in a given gallery and tag them all to the spot I chose on the map. I hope such an option can be installed.

Thanks for all services so far,

Dick Osseman

morbius

Post Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:28 pm

Apologies if this has been raised already. When I have an image with a title and a caption, "view map" appears below the title and above the Caption. Like this:

http://www.pbase.com/image/92760346

I think this is the case even without any CSS modifications - but I'm sure someone will correct me if my CSS has caused this!

To my eye this layout looks messy and cluttered and I think it would be neater if "view map" sat immediately above the camera details.

Otherwise, like everyone else who's posted, I think this feature is pretty damn fine. :D

sbbish

Post Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:47 pm

This is a cute feature. It's neat, and fun, and I admit I'm enjoying tagging some of my photos. It makes for an entertaining "toy".

However, personally I would rather see some of the time and effort that went into this go toward fixing some existing bugs and feature requests...many of which have been on the list for at least 2 years. They were on the list when I joined PBase. The Frequently Asked Feature Requests thread hasn't been updated since August 2006.

The forums have also received a new "look". Are we only going to get new and flashy stuff on PBase? Are we ever going to see some of the backlog bugs and features get addressed?

Scott

ckirby
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:01 pm

victorengel wrote:When entering a search for, say, and address, if the search was unsuccessful, it's not obvious how to return to a form where a subsequent search can be performed. Ideally, if the search failed, the user should stay in the form that generated the search in the first place so that it can quickly be corrected.

This should be fixed now.

tremont: Fixed your bug, the 'gallery list' link and the 'geotag your photos' button should work now (give them a little while to load, you have a lot of galleries).

Other than that we have been working on some performance bugs, hopefully fiddling around on maps is feeling less clunky.

csloan

Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:40 pm

Ok, I've finally put up a test gallery of geotagged photos; these were tagged using the Sony GPS tracker in the field.

http://www.pbase.com/csloan/yucatan_mexico_2008

I'm still playing around with the functionality. For comparison of functionality, I've posted the exact same gallery to SmugMug, which also supports geotagging:

http://csloan.smugmug.com/gallery/45698 ... #269370053

I'm in the process of evaluating which site to use long term, but plan to play around with both for a few months. Historically I have preferred PBase, but switched SmugMug when I started geotagging last year due to PBase's lack of support at the time. I have to say that, at least initially, I think PBase is headed in the right direction with this feature, so I may end up moving everything back over here at some point.

Chris

bobfloyd

Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:45 pm

So I am really enjoying this feature and the checking out of where everyone using it is taking their photos. That is, I was enjoying it till yesterday. Since early yesterday morning every time I click on "View Map" on someone else's photo I got a message telling me the following:

"Locked Image

You do not have the permissions to view or edit the image indicated by the url."

I have checking on my photos and I can't find a way to "lock" anything with regard to this feature and it is only photos that were both uploaded and geotagged yesterday or today. If the photo was uploaded previous to that time but geotagged after that time, it seems to be available.

PreviousNext

Board index PBase News PBase Maps Beta