Board index PBase News increased storage: 400MB per credit

News

increased storage: 400MB per credit

sdwinsor

Post Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:23 pm

Hum... Now that I´m thinking does this means many of us will be uploading bigger (size & resolution) images?

Excellent Point! High-res images you just have to right click on to save to your hard drive :evil: I hope someone though about that. Maybe the print capable (high-res) versions can be kept hidden from the general public.
It also mean a lot less space available for images if you start filling your quota with megabyte sized images... which mean buying more space...Ah..I get it now! :wink:

victorwkli

Post Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:39 pm

How about Pbase autmatically adds a watemark to the photos if the artist wishes?

slug
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:36 pm

sdwinsor,
Yes, we've thought about hiding the high-resolution versions.
A couple of weeks ago we changed the way we store images so the the uploaded files have a different name than the small/medium/larges.
Previously if you could view the small image, you could guess the URL for the original image file. So when we put online the option to keep the highres version hidden, people won't be able to guess the URL.
As for requiring more space, our goal is really to have everyone on the basic $23 plan. We're not trying to force people to pay for more space by needing high rez images. This is why we keep increasing the quota, and if printing generates any revenue, we will continue to increase it.

-slug

gillettecraig

Security

Post Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:51 pm

That was kind of my first thoughts. I'm not what you'd call expecting to get rich from this but would expect some family purchases, etc.

As it is, most folks I think have been uploading lower res images suitable for screen viewing which is at least kind of de facto security to some extent. I'd be interested in this if we could be sure that high res images are protected.

Any info on the "printer" and if profiles would be appropriate?

andrys

Post Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:04 am

slug wrote:sdwinsor,
Yes, we've thought about hiding the high-resolution versions.
A couple of weeks ago we changed the way we store images so the the uploaded files have a different name than the small/medium/larges.

Ahah! I wondered what happened to the original "Img_7002.jpg" style
identification at the end of the URL. It was missing and I was going to ask about it.

Previously if you could view the small image, you could guess the URL for the original image file. So when we put online the option to keep the highres version hidden, people won't be able to guess the URL.

That explains the randomized-looking string that is now at the end
of the original URLs.

I hope we can still have "original" for "Display" purposes while
having a hidden "fine-print" option using a hidden xtra-large file.

But however you decide to handle it will likely be easy to adjust to.

As for requiring more space, our goal is really to have everyone on the basic $23 plan. We're not trying to force people to pay for more space by needing high rez images. This is why we keep increasing the quota, and if printing generates any revenue, we will continue to increase it.

-slug

Very impressive, Slug. And, just when some insisted you folks would
never reply in the forums and some of us crazy whiners had too much
faith that you would =eventually= as in the past (life is ironic), you
REALLY up'd the presence, both with other admin people showing up to
help us and with all these neat features. It's like a renewal of life here.

Thanks for all the good work (and your request for Emily's
"immediate" work on 'better statistics' was pretty funny).

Fantastic to see this site really taking off with the new features.
And pretty good communication too!

- Andrys

bobt54

Re: increased storage: 400MB per credit

Post Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:31 pm

Hum... Now that I´m thinking does this means many of us will be uploading bigger (size & resolution) images?

Thanks in advance
Matias[/quote]

I would hope that the images used for printing can somehow be protected from being downloaded. Essentially, we should have one image on display of a lower resolution and one hidden in archive that would be used for printing.

I don't see myself using this service if anyone can download my full quality file and print it themselves.

reflectionsbyruth

Post Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:29 am

If someone buys your image via Pbase, who makes the money from it.. .the photographer or PBase?

I would hope the photographer, because whats the sense in putting your images out there for anyone to buy if you get $0 from it?

victorwkli

Post Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:31 pm

Will this printing service be available to PBase supporters outside the U.S.?? :?:

I know that many PBase supporters, including myself, are from Canada. We'd love to use this feature. :P :D :D :)

jwkramer61

Post Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:35 pm

reflectionsbyruth wrote:If someone buys your image via Pbase, who makes the money from it.. .the photographer or PBase?

I would hope the photographer, because whats the sense in putting your images out there for anyone to buy if you get $0 from it?

I would think it would be a combination of the two... PBase is producing the print (I assume), so one would expect them to profit in some way from this venture. The photographer should also be compensated for the use of their image. It is a "win-win" for everyone if it is done correctly.

-JK

gh_m_k

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:02 am

hi h a u

Previous

Board index PBase News increased storage: 400MB per credit