Board index Photography Artistic Questions Nude but not really... Ok, implied!

Artistic Questions

Nude but not really... Ok, implied!

Discuss style and artistic aspects of photography
gpaai

Nude but not really... Ok, implied!

Post Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:02 pm

Hi everyone,

This is going to be one of those "What would you do?" threads if you don't mind.

Any of you that have visited my galleries know that while I do shoot nudes, I ALWAYS cover private areas with things like hands, hair, shadows, etc.. I always try to exhibit a sense of class and style when shooting nudes. And while it's obvious that a model may be nude, I continue to consider it implied simply because a person never quite sees what is lurking behind a hand or shadow.

That being said, I (again - this has happened before) was asked by a model to remove any and all images that even appeared to be nude.

And this is after the concept was agreed on before the shoot, was properly executed during the shoot, images viewed after the shoot and agreed on that they were fine.

So my question is, would you honor the model's sudden change of heart? Even after spending 4+ hours shooting the concept and spending money renting the lighting studio? And then there is the promotional factor. These images aren't necessarily posted on Pbase but on other sites that I use to promote myself.

So what say you?

Gary
I love photoshopography.......

gpmerfeld

Re: Nude but not really... Ok, implied!

Post Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:54 pm

I think the main question to be asked here is: Did the model sign a Model Release? If so, then I believe there is no legal requirement for you to honor the model's change of mind. It just becomes a personal decision on your part to honor that change of mind, perhaps through further communication with the model as to why they want the images pulled. But again, legally, you would have no requirement to do so. How many times do you hear of someone posing for a certain magazine or whatever, in their youth, only to have images surface later on in their career. I doubt the career is ruined, and usually just adds an interesting side-note. That's the breaks when you model and sign a release... And in your case, where there is never graphic nudity involved, it becomes entirely up to you, as a kind gesture, or not, to pull or leave the images as they are...

I am certainly not a lawyer, just expressing my opinion. My Model Release has a place to initial permission, or not, for the model's name to be used in conjunction with images (should the photographer choose to do so). If the model does not want their name to appear anywhere, they initial that line, and I honor it by never releasing their name when exhibiting the image in any format. Maybe that would help?

castledude

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:38 am

I agree with all that is said by gpaii, and if you don't have a model release then you need to make sure you have one for just such issues in the future.

One thing I have done for a few models is offer to put them under a stage name for the pictures, this has worked really well. Grandma can't find her with google that way.

gpaai

Post Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:36 pm

Yes there was an agreement signed. When I originally posted this I was in a real venting mind frame. I have attempted to contact the model in order to iron this out, but no return correspondence to date. I may offer to remove all images as well as send her all files as soon as she agrees to monetary compensation.
I love photoshopography.......

castledude

Post Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:45 am

Be careful on selling them back.

http://writ.news.findlaw.com/hilden/20030722.html

surindersinghstudio

Post Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:54 am

Surinder Singh (+91-9971008151)
Advertising, Fashion & Travel Photographer
New Delhi, India.
http://www.SinghStyleStudio.com

Board index Photography Artistic Questions Nude but not really... Ok, implied!