Board index Photography Technical Questions AF What's going on?

Technical Questions

AF What's going on?

Discuss technical aspects of photography
peterg

AF What's going on?

Post Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:40 pm

I have a nice Nikon DSLR. All to often I take images that are not in focus, most of the images are very close but not crisp. I have payed attention to shutter speed, focal length and the us of a tripod or mono pod. Is it possible I am not using the wrong AF setting for the type of photography I am shooting.
Please help

sthuman

Re: AF What's going on?

Post Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:07 am

There are several possibilities. What focus mode you use and whether it's a moving subject or not can be one. Whether you use continuous focus or not. The point you are focusing on. An issue with the lens. How much light there is. You didn't give much to go on.

peterg

Post Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:15 am

I use the same setting for almost everything I shoot moving or still and that is continuous. The lenses are all Nikkor and the light varies from well light to shadows, I manual focus if it is dark. What other information might one need.

dougj

Post Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:59 am

I don't shoot Nikon, but it would be helpful if you posted the links to a couple of examples that have the EXIF details.

sthuman

Post Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:04 pm

peterg wrote:I use the same setting for almost everything I shoot moving or still and that is continuous. The lenses are all Nikkor and the light varies from well light to shadows, I manual focus if it is dark. What other information might one need.

Continuous mode is where it focuses all the time as opposed to locking focus when you press the shutter button halfway. But there are other types of focus modes, like Group Dymanic, single focus area ect.

Are you shooting JPG or NEF? If shooting NEF are you using Nikon software to convert/process your images? or something else like Lightroom or Photoshop or Elements?

Do you have any sort of filter on the lens?

What model camera is it?

Board index Photography Technical Questions AF What's going on?