Board index Photography Technical Questions Do I get a discount for poor access

Technical Questions

Do I get a discount for poor access

Discuss technical aspects of photography
ianyork

Do I get a discount for poor access

Post Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:52 pm

The server seems to be been down for ages and now is still incredibly slow. Having paid for a service I am pretty disappointed, and expect some addition to my membership time..

sheila

Post Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:17 am

PBase had a server problem which is not their fault. I don't think you can really complain, Ian, for $23 US per year, do you :D

Cheers
Sheila

PS Shame about the Ashes! :lol:
Sheila Smart
Canon 5D Mark III; 17-40L; 24-70 f/2.8L; 70-300 f.4-5.6 L USM; 135 f/2L; 100 f/2.8 macro; 8-15 f/4 L fisheye

Blog: http://sheilasmartphotography.blogspot.com/

ianyork

Post Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:18 am

I disagree with you this one Sheila

Actually I do think I can complain and the price is totally immaterial.
A service has been purchased, and yesterday, was not delivered.

Just because a lot of us use this site as a friendly ideas sharing community
does not mean that we should be relaxed on our service delivery expectations....

ianyork

Post Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:20 am

PS
We will seek our revenge on the Ashes back in Blighty in 18 months time
(fingers crossed) :)

sheila

Post Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:30 am

ianyork wrote:PS
We will seek our revenge on the Ashes back in Blighty in 18 months time
(fingers crossed) :)

Hmmm...not looking to good in the one dayers either - Poms out for 110 - Aussies 111 for loss of one wicket in the 24th over :lol:

Cheers
Sheila
(ex-Pom)
Sheila Smart
Canon 5D Mark III; 17-40L; 24-70 f/2.8L; 70-300 f.4-5.6 L USM; 135 f/2L; 100 f/2.8 macro; 8-15 f/4 L fisheye

dougj

Post Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:04 pm

Ianyork, across the internet we all experience less than 100% uptime for all applications, for a variety of reasons. Although this is not ideal, it's the reality we experience and live with. Pbase is no excetion and they will have periodic hardware and software glitches as well.

I experience periodic access problems, issues with images from time to time, but the overall experience has been very good IMO. Any service provider, regardless of whether it is a photo site on the internet or an MRI manufacturer providing critical services to a hospital can not deliver 100% uptime.

ianyork

Post Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:05 pm

Second day are there are still problems....

what should be an acceptable level of service?

dougj

Post Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:31 am

A very good question. We periodically experience issues with access, images and other Pbase-caused problems. Although I haven't experienced problems recently, a number of members have reported issues over the past few days.

More than anything else Pbase needs to let their customers know what is happening. The lack of communication by Pbase management & administration is one of the most critical complaints related to this site.

talleyfamilyphotography

Post Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:36 pm

I agree with some points in this thread, particularly with the management keeping the users better informed.

However, regarding the nominal cost of my image hosting, I often look at other sites such as WebShots and ImageShack which have limited or confusing image linking capabilities and love to show ads and popups to all unregistered visitors to your sites.

I'll put up with some glitchy service on occasions. Whenever someone posts some thumbnails on a website that hotlink back to their original Webshots or Imageshack galleries, I just say "No Thanks". I don't have time to close a lot of popup windows after visiting their galleries. (Yes, I run two popup blockers).

ianyork

Post Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:40 pm

I posted earlier today but it seems to have gone AWOL
Picking up from a few comments earlier.
I am still experiencing problems, I have broken links, some seem to have been fixed
Others are still broken..
I reported these problems Friday night, it’s now Sunday evening and am still awaiting a response from Pbase….
I see that others are also experiencing problems, are also still in the dark.

Judging by the comments in a number of different threads Pbase are obviously experiencing problems, all I want to know, is what the problems are and what is being done to resolve them.

It not a big ask to be kept informed however it would seem that this site is failing miserably in this simple task

I may not pay big bucks, 23USD I believe, but how many of us are there paying this
10k , 100k… that’s somewhere between a 1/4 million USD and 2.5 million USD

I think if the members are spending that level of money they deserve some level of response…..

Certainly more that the big fat ZERO that we have at the moment…..
( as you may notice I am a little ticked off at present and getting more ticks and time marches on)

dirtyol

Post Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:21 am

Is this where the term "Whinging Pom" comes from? :)

I had similar problems last week but found something else to do for a couple of hours & when I returned it was fine.

sheila

Post Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:49 am

Ian

I have taken some time to go through your galleries (very nice work there) and have yet to find any sign of the dreaded red X. So as they say here in Oz, take a Bex and lie down :lol:

The only thing to complain about is the lack of response by Slug but those who have been on this site for a long time know it was ever thus! We also know that within a couple of days all will be well (which can't be said about the Pommie cricket team :oops: )

Cheers
Sheila
Sheila Smart

ianyork

Post Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:18 am

dirtyol wrote:Is this where the term "Whinging Pom" comes from? :)

I had similar problems last week but found something else to do for a couple of hours & when I returned it was fine.

Yet more problems.. This time with loading
You may thing its winging I however feel that poor service should be highlighted so that it may be addressed.

Ironically the cross of death seems to have been resolved just the lack upload is now prevalent..

I spend the majority of my time away from home travelling so am not in a position to just return in a few hours, I have to grab internet access when I can, so it is extremely inconvenient and frustrating when the system is experiencing problem.

Whinger or not I feel that the service recently has been particularly poor and it is the responsibility of the site management to keep us informed of development.

I am a paying customer and would like to be treated as such….

photostockplus

Post Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:14 am

http://thescambaiter.com

Funny site you got there - is it yours?
Dominic D.
PhotostockPlus.com - the event photographer's ultimate online "business in a box"
Give us a shot - http://wwww.photostockplus.com/freetrial

dougj

Post Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:41 am

LOL, no it's not mine I'm one of the members. It's a great way to reduce some of the internet scamming and have a few laughs in the process.

Next

Board index Photography Technical Questions Do I get a discount for poor access