Board index PBase PaD Discussion Lighting

PaD Discussion

Lighting

discuss photo-a-day projects
cynthia1122

Lighting

Post Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:50 pm

Ok I need some help here. I have been trying to shoot inside just using a table lamp. Alot of times my pix will come out blue. What can I do for better lighting.....I can't wait til we have sunshine again :cry:
Last edited by cynthia1122 on Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

castledude

Post Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:03 pm

According to your pictures you are using an Canon S1...

Time to read that section in the manual about white balance settings. (Thats not a dig just to figure out where the menu is hidden).

What you want to do is set to either a custom WB or use the Tungsten or Fluorescent (depending on the lamp).

Of course getting an external flash can be a lot of fun too.

cynthia1122

Post Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:35 pm

Well, I had my camera set for the Tungsten lighting and it is still coming out blue? I know that my camera is limited to what I can do :cry: But am new and don't know what i'm doing. I don't think i can do an exteranl flash with my camera? Thanks for the info.

Cynthia

yogi7

Post Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:24 pm

How about custom WB? It will be much better than just setting it to tungsten. Any sample pic?

castledude

Post Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:37 pm

cynthia1122 wrote:Well, I had my camera set for the Tungsten lighting and it is still coming out blue? I know that my camera is limited to what I can do :cry: But am new and don't know what i'm doing. I don't think i can do an exteranl flash with my camera? Thanks for the info.

Cynthia

Actually you have a pretty good midrange camera. For a new person this is fine. But in order to make it simple for the average user they tend to bury the info on how to do the advanced stuff. You have now reached that magic point where you are turning from a point/shoot to a more advanced photographer and will need to learn some more about your camera.

As yogi7 said if the tungston doesn't work then try a custom white balance. If you can, post a sample so we can see the problem.

The other way is to compensate using the levels and curves in Photoshop. It is better to start off with a good picture but those that you have taken can probably be fixed up. A simple (and free) program is Picasa (http://www.picasa.com/) it has a simple color fix. If you are already using a photo program look at the automatic functions for warming up a picture.

Good luck..

cynthia1122

Post Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:52 pm

Thanks I will try to play with the white balance. and see how it comes out. I am going to create a gallery called junk so u can see the imgages that i think r too blue

ziggers

Post Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:30 pm

I took a look at your "junk" folder to see the samples.

The reason they are blue is because you are using Tungsten WB and flash at the same time.

Your flash has the same color temperature as daylight, which is MUCH COOLER than Tungsten lighting, and will result blue on tungsten settings.

In this situation, if you're going to use flash, then set your WB to flash or daylight.

Board index PBase PaD Discussion Lighting