Board index PBase PaD Discussion PAD Burn-out!

PaD Discussion

PAD Burn-out!

discuss photo-a-day projects
gpaai

PAD Burn-out!

Post Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:03 pm

Hello!

Just shy of 300 days (294 to be exact), I find myself becoming very burned out on my Photo-A-Day project.

I'm not sure if it is the project itself or a combination of things surrounding it. With the way *PBase has been acting, along with the hustle and bustle of my every day life lately. This could be a big part of it.

So, any words of advice from PAD Ol' Timers out there? I don't want to just intentionally start posting garbage to fulfill my year's service. Lord knows there is enough unintentional garbage in my galleries as it is. :lol:

Just how do I successfully hang in there for another 70 days or so?

Gary

* PBase is flyin' this morning! Thanks given to where thanks is deserved.
I love photoshopography.......

annayu

Post Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:08 pm

Errr, buy an expensive new lens.... ?
:P

gpaai

Post Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:31 pm

annayu2 wrote:Errr, buy an expensive new lens.... ?
:P

Hahaha! Before or after buying an expensive new camera. And then only after I pay for all of this schooling... :lol:

Gary

distorted

Post Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:50 pm

I know the feeling.. and I have not been doing PaD for very long.

Bad weather may hinder outdoor shots, or no subject matter to shoot or not thinking clearly.

Doing abstracts for me is boring (not puting it down I just prefer still life or nature etc..), I think I lack the artist talent needed for this as well.

Many times I struggle harshly to get a idea/subject/material to shoot or lack the time to do it with a busy family and all... but all in all I embrace the challenge.

IMO alot of my PaD's are borderline horrible, but those ones get commented and are liked (shrug) where as the few I think are good do not even stir many hits to the image let alone comments.

I have to say that doing the PaD has truely made me a better photographer as I asorb others idea's, composition, lighting etc..

So I urge you to stick with it ;)

best regards,
Life is just a series of repeatative tasks!

Chris Carruba
http://www.pbase.com/distorted

ziggers

Post Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:51 pm

I *really* like Anna's suggestion.

While you're at it, might you perhaps want to buy *me* an expensive new lens?

Pretty please with L glass on top?

;)

clickaway

Post Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:50 pm

If you're feeling some PaD burn out, then why not illustrate the point. Another PaD solved!

I nearly became part-time over Christmas but now I'm glad I didn't.

Sometimes we just hit rock bottom.

Ray

eddyb

Post Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:05 pm

If your good with photoshop why not go nuts with a couple of your photos and try to come up with something different for your PAD.

gpaai

Post Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:06 pm

eddyb wrote:If your good with photoshop why not go nuts with a couple of your photos and try to come up with something different for your PAD.

I've been trying to come up with something different for 294 days now... :lol:

5points

Re: PAD Burn-out!

Post Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:44 pm

Review your past PAD work - I am sure you will find several common trends/patterns. Pick one and explore it in more detail.
Also sit back and think and write down the reasons why you are taking photos and posting them in a PAD gallery and on Pbase.

stormseye

Post Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:25 pm

Not long ago, one photographer here asked "Why stop after a year?"

One could just as easily ask "Why go a full year?" Really - what is so special about a calendar year? It seems so arbitrary.

If taking and posting a photo each day still thrills you - if you are still learning, growing, having a ball, then by all means continue. But if this has become a chore, if you are posting something each day just for the sake of posting something... then WHY??? It is not helping you or your photography and is probably detrimental if you find yourself slipping into "groupthink" mode.

Feel free to stop, step back, take a break. Rejuvenate yourself and your creative side. Read. Read about photography. Read about other things. Take classes. Take a photography class, attend a workshop, or take a painting class. Take more walks. Pick up your old film camera. Play guitar.

There is more to life, and more to photography, than PAD! Much more! Truly!

There will be those here (and you know who you are - don't make me have to open up a can of whupass on you!) who will look down on you. In their eyes, you will no longer be one of the "deserving", one of the in-crowd. So what? They don't really matter, do they Gary?

Do what works for you.
Bruce B

"I have always felt that it is HOW one sees
rather than WHAT one sees
that makes any photograph interesting."
- Michael A. Smith, 1999

isshinryu_mom

Post Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:20 pm

Take a look in my PAD. I started in September 2003 and fizzeled out in mid to late August 2004. Such a pity! I wish I had done just a few more weeks. 'Course I rarely finish anything I start so I'm pretty much used to it. :?

Here's a few suggestions to motivate you if doing a year of PAD is a personal goal... choose a theme for a week, shoot just black and white for a week, emulate your favorite PADers style for a week, look through your PAD for the shots that didn't work and "re-do" 'em. Think how cool it'll be to do a montage of your shots a la Paul Walters.

Good luck! I look forward to seeing you complete your year.

jypsee

I like what Bruce said...

Post Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:28 pm

I do what I want with my PAD; and I have a "stash" of photos that I've not put up for just those times when I either can't photograph or just don't feel like photographing (though, that's pretty rare...). In addition, sometimes I actually have a life that calls me more than PAD.

.... if you gotta force yourself, what's the point?

jajlo

can relate

Post Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:15 pm

I'm sorta like Anna.. Real life & starting back up at University sort of overwhelmed me in pretty much from August to November.. (bacame a once inawhile pad) However, the to-be Ex hubby had asked.. hey are you still doing your Photo a day thing.. I kind of went.. Hmm.. maybe I should.. Now the whole things been taking a life of it's own with the my Research Project/Kid work now. (got the idea while 'relaxing' at Pbase, looking at PADS-trying to think of what to do for my project due in a few days.. as my other idea was 'gently' discouraged.. ergo- your school is already doing that.. ARGH) A lot of people will do 'themes' for a week or two, or month even. Colors.. or just taking Black & White photos, Anna's been doing fab with that 2.00 silk walmart flower.. (Dawn is Jealous) and well. you know! Love the A-Z stuff too..

Hang in there! ;D awn

jamtarts

Post Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:17 pm

I know what you mean, it's very difficult at times,

you could try weekly themes? One week a different colour each day, next week the strangest/rarest car of the day, next week funniest sign post etc,

or you could try using a mobile phone camera to give a new challenge of restricted tools?
Wacka! Wacka! Wacka!
http://www.pbase.com/jamtarts

muriah

Post Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:06 am

Gary,
I see by your PAD gallery that you expect a lot of yourself. While it is nice to have someone say to you that you don't have to finish the year just because that was the intention, you should realize that fulfilling your original intention can benefit personal growth... perhaps to the extent of ones very being.
I see that in your very first PAD gallery that there is evidence that you were doubtful that you could do a Photo-A-Day. Would you rather be self-fulfilling of your doubts or of your intentions?
Since your PAD is so full of very creative stuff, it is my guess that you hit a "dry spell" A creative person who can work through a dry spell when no creativity is flowing and re-open the flow is the truely creative person. Meaning that it is one thing to express ones creativity and quite another to create out of the void of inspiration. To work without the muse.
If you want to fulfill your intention (assuming that it actually was "A Photo-A-Day for a Year") then I would suggest that you either put your nose to the PS grindstone or else pray for the muse.
If that wasn't your own personal intent or you don't care whether you keep your word, then you could re-negotiate with yourself about what you expect of yourself for the balance of the year (basically two months).
And ask yourself whether down the road you would still approve of that decision.
Well, now, I am quite surprised that you have managed to start my day this way. Musta been something in your voice. Or maybe it is just that I do want to be supportive of people living up to their own intentions. (The authentic self)
You certainly do have wonderfully refreshing images in your galleries!
Muriah

Next

Board index PBase PaD Discussion PAD Burn-out!