Board index PBase PaD Discussion why stop after a year???

PaD Discussion

why stop after a year???

discuss photo-a-day projects
twalker294

why stop after a year???

Post Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:09 am

I have seen several people remark that their PAD "project" is over. I dont understand why. I started on 1/1/04 and I am continuing this year (hopefully I'll come a lot closer to posting a picture every day this year.) I really enjoy posting a picture every day and I cant understand why someone would stick with it for a year then give it up. It's pretty addictive if you ask me :D

clickaway

Post Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:27 am

I can understand why some people finish after a year, and I think you've answered part of your own question.

It is indeed addictive, and sometimes there is the risk that family life may be neglected as a result. Also, as enjoyable as it is, there are days when you don't feel up to the challenge and wonder if it is too much of a discipline.

I have thought the latter now and then, but have continued uninterrupted since August 2003. That's been helped by the fact that I don't have family life to get in the way.

I'm glad that many who have completed their year are still posting, some quite frequently. I think they deserve that. The pressure's off for them and they can post when they want to.

Ray

cjmorgan

Re: why stop after a year???

Post Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:08 pm

twalker294 wrote:I have seen several people remark that their PAD "project" is over. I dont understand why.

Exhaustion perhaps?

I can't speak for others, but I sort of pushed myself in 2004 with this
project. Some images were easy to make. But some weren't. Some
images were a breeze and simple for me. But others were more
involved, more time consuming... either in their setup, or in the
post-production, or both. And overall, over a whole year, that was
a lot of work.

Yeah, I suppose could continue and do a quick snapshot a day.
But for me, that wouldn't serve well because I've spent so many
years striving to make images rather than just take them.

And so at this point, for me, just taking snapshots would perhaps
only erode my 30 year passion for this medium, rather than otherwise
continuing in a direction which would still have me challenged,
and learning, and growing.

Don't get me won't -- my own 2004 PAD project was the best learning
tool I've encountered in decades. And a great learning tool at that.

But it's pretty hard to keep up the level of intensity indefinitely.
And likewise of questionable value to keep going indefinitely
if the images being made only get watered down, only to
really serve as a just erosion for one's passion for image making.

So sometimes it's just good to find a definite end point.

If any of that makes any sense.

CJ
http://www.pbase.com/cjmorgan/photoaday2004&page=all

iskaboo

Post Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:50 am

I probably am not qualified to comment because I have been PaDing for only less than two months. In that two months, PaD has become a healthy obsession. I love it, I have learned a lot, and I hope to keep on doing it.

BUT that said ... my wife is sick of me stomping around the house at 10pm, taking photos of the bottom of my shoes. My sons think that PaD sometimes comes before them. I have a lot of work to do in the next month or two, and my boss does not give a damn about my hobby - nor should he. While I am proud that I have not missed a day - yet - I probably will sometime during the next 10 months. And, the world will not end.

In other words, I can certainly see why someone would make a year-long commitment ... and then take a very well-deserved break. The fact that people like Ray wish to keep PaDing after a year is great ... both for them, but especially for all of us who enjoy good photography. But let's not make PaD more of a burden than it already is.

Board index PBase PaD Discussion why stop after a year???