Board index PBase PaD Discussion Newbie to PAD

PaD Discussion

Newbie to PAD

discuss photo-a-day projects
jrditty

Newbie to PAD

Post Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:31 pm

I have just started a PAD gallery. Please check out my galleries and let me know what you think.

Also, what are the "rules" for PAD, if any. You have to take a picture a day not post a picture a day, correct? Want to know what everyone is doing so that I can follow suit. Thanks!

-John R. Ditty

dpaull

Post Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:34 pm

It's really upto you how you want to do it -- I personally figure I'll take a photo a day. I might have to wait a while before I upload it or even get to it...but just take one a day.

gpaai

Post Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:48 pm

Welcome! PAD is pretty much what the name implies. Personally, I have shot the day of as well as dip into an archive. On the archive days I spend time enhancing the image in Photoshop, so to me that is my structure time.

The most important thing I have discovered is PAD is a great place to learn and more important meet new friends.

Gary
I love photoshopography.......

dhenry

Welcome

Post Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:18 am

People always tell you that PAD is a great place to learn, and how much fun it is. I thought I would give a short opinion about why and how.

First, posting a "picture a day" is actually hard sometimes. You want to post something new, but you have to figure out something to take a picture of. It makes you be creative. I always like to post the pictures from that day. Some others here like to use PAD to highlight photos they have taken in the past, and so link up that image. Both are proper ways to use it. I like the first way. Even when I was sick for a few days. I did some lame pictures (abstracts, cats with my Nyquil), but I kept the string going. Even if it is a snap of the bedpost, it gets you into the habit of trying to do something creative when you are not up to it. I think this stimulates the mind.

Second, you can look at everyones work by going to

<A href=http://www.pbase.com/pad>http://www.pbase.com/pad</A>

This is the link where everyones PAD work of the day is on display. You will see everything from snapshots to works of art. Sometimes, you will see shots that make you want to try to duplicate the effect. If you don't understand how the shot was done, you can send a message to the artist, and they will probably message you back with how they did it, and any advice they learned while doing it.

Third, PAD is a great way to learn photography. People here are wonderful about posting comments on your pictures. From what I have seen in the couple of months I have been doing PAD is that the comments are always helpful, or encouraging.

PAD is a great resource, and can make your skills soar.

Dave

sheena77

Post Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:38 am

I've decided to take a photo a day as my New Year Resolution! I Know it will be hard for me because I'm not a prolific picture taker but also know that it will improve my skills and creativity.

Thanks for the info on this thread as regards uploading images. Although I intend to take a photo a day, I'll probably upload in batches - as time allows. Have taken a few today (although not uploaded) and enjoyed it - left my tripod set up at home so shouldn't have any excuses if I can't get out to take images!

suzppc

One of My New Years Resolutions

Post Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:35 am

A few months ago I attempted to participate in Photo a Day, but had trouble keeping up because my schedule is very hectic and I thought I had to download everyday.

I have decided to make it one of my New Years Resolutions. I know I can take a shot every day but downloading will be hard. I will download one today but then I am leaving for 10 days. When I return with my shots does anyone have advice on how to go about downloading 10 days worth of pictures?

Sheena77, It looks as though we can be newbies together. I am looking forward to meeting new friends and learning a lot.

Happy New Year!

dhenry

Batch uploading

Post Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:57 am

There are two ways (that I know of) to upload in a batch.

If you put all the photos in a zip file, and upload that, it will be processed on the back end, and all the pics will be put in the gallery.

The other way, when you edit the gallery is to hit the upload button instead of just scrolling down to the upload section. This will let you pick a bunch of files to upload (about 22 at a time).

I have used both (I find the zip method easier when uploading a bunch for a new gallery).

Dave

Board index PBase PaD Discussion Newbie to PAD