Board index PBase PaD Discussion How many are there now?

PaD Discussion

How many are there now?

discuss photo-a-day projects
darter02

How many are there now?

Post Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:01 pm

Hello all, I doubt many of you remember me since I have been so quite as far as posting either here or on other people’s galleries these past few months. I used to be a daily addict, viewing every PAD gallery and commenting like crazy. Of course, this was on the “short listâ€
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

clickaway

Post Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:33 pm

Hi Ron,

Good to hear from you again.

Jeanne stopped updating her list at the beginning of February 2004 when we had around 100 PaDers here. Alon Brik then took over the list from 101 onwards, but I imagine he found it difficult to keep up with the huge influx, but also started his own website photoaday.net which contains an index of PaDers of those that have chosen to register with him - these include people not necessarily on PBase.

Jeanne's brother Mark also started compling a list on a PBase page, but this has fallen by the wayside too.

I think much of the problem lies in who do we count as a PaD person?

If you look in the PaD meta-gallery you will find
i) People who take a fresh photo every day without fail
ii) People who, in varying degrees, and for various reasons, only take a PaD on some days
iii) People who do a daily posting, but always
with archival pictures
iv) People who have successfully completed a year of PaDing and have used the meta-gallery as a showcase
v) People who have no right to be in the meta gallery and just abuse its existence as a place to show their work.

To me, and I imagine you Ron, category (i) is the one you think of true PaD people. But I think the likes of Paul Walters and Chris Booker almost deserve the right to use the meta gallery now that they have completed a year of PaD work without interruption.

Since you ceased to be a regular, new people have come on the scene, and a number of these are very creative.

Ray

jypsee

true??? PAD people???

Post Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:20 pm

To me, and I imagine you Ron, category (i) is the one you think of true PaD people

what DRIVEL!!! why do you keep up this idiotic rhetoric??

jypsee in MI
http://www.pbase.com/jypsee/root

darter02

Post Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:33 pm

"Drivel?"

What's the point of doing a Photo a Day for a Year of you do not shoot every single day?? Anybody can shoot on any given day, so what is the big deal with shooting whenever you just feel like it?

There is no big deal…anyone can do it.

The whole point of this exercise is to learn more about your own style of photography through the daily discipline of shooting. If someone wants to only shoot whenever they want, that is fine, but to me; that is not a Photo a Day project.

Perhaps it should be called, “Post a Photo a Dayâ€

clickaway

Post Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:46 pm

Ron,

I second that emotion.

brother_mark

Post Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:01 am

My list of PAD links hasn't "fallen by the wayside." Many of the 86 people listed on it may have. I haven't made it my passion to check up on them (okay I just did a quick check on a bunch and 17 have stopped) and delete if they have ceased. I also haven't tried to add everyone who appears to be doing PAD. Many new people haven't asked to be added. Others never sent me a link to a representative image after I requested one. The latest edition is Danny Spiers, http://www.pbase.com/dannyspiers/my_new_son who has been doing a photo a day of his new son since May 6, 2004. Validity verified by his exif info before I added him. I'm not keen on being judge and arbiter of such weighty matters, however. At least I haven't had to tell anyone to "bug off" yet.

Some people just don't care about being on the list and I'm not going to force them. My list gets very few hits. I'm also not big on self-promotion so many people just don't know about it. There are probably 200 plus people doing a photo "just about every day" at any one moment. And about 10 people quitting per month and say 15 starting people per month. Who really wants to mess with trying to maintain that database?

Ron I was in your gallery today for some reason. I don't know if I posted any comments. Nice to see Pittsburgh and the museum again.

stormseye

I'm out

Post Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:11 pm

This thread got me thinking...

I did the PAD thing for several months. It is NOT easy. I had to throw in the towel while orchestrating a move - selling a house, buying another, moving to a new state, starting new jobs - but while all of that was stressful, I have to admit it was actually a bit of a relief to lay aside the PAD project.

I didn't want to start in again. What I wanted to do (and am still doing) is keep a photojournal, but in a more relaxed (and loopy) way than strictly one photo, every day.

When I started posting again, many of you asked/hoped that I was "back". I succumbed to flattery and "reconnected" to PAD.

I have to admit - I am NOT doing a Photo-A-Day. Circumstances (and inclinations) do not permit it. So out of respect for all of you who truly are doing a Photo-A-Day, I am withdrawing.

Please don't take this as a rejection of the PAD Community. It's just an honest appraisal of where I'm at and what I'm doing. I want to thank all of you who ever visited and especially those of you who left many encouraging comments. I consider many of you to be friends, and "colleagues", if you will.

I'm still here on PBase. And don't forget, you ARE allowed to visit non-PAD galleries! :wink:

I wish you all happiness and success with your photographic projects, whatever they may be.

Warm regards,
Bruce B

"I have always felt that it is HOW one sees
rather than WHAT one sees
that makes any photograph interesting."
- Michael A. Smith, 1999

wangi

Re: I'm out

Post Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:18 pm

Stormseye, To be honest I think you should continue on as you were doing. This isn't a strict rules army outfit. Do the best you can in the available time and around other commitments.

There's nothing more annoying than folk preaching "thou shalt post a picture a day, from that day, and ASAP"! They can go take a jump - the rest of us live in the real world!

Afterall most of us do this for fun!

darter02

Post Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:51 pm

I have to hand to Stormeye. He admits he is not doing a photo/day/year project without whining about “purists.â€

wangi

Post Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:47 pm

Hat off to you darter, you can do it. However that doesn't mean others have to. I know you're not preaching fire and brimstone, but it does happen on occasion in this forum.

Personally I started off with a (personal) rule only to post five a week - on my way to and from work. I'm a bit displeased with myself for breaking that and posting almost everyday now!

However if i'm off holidays somewhere, I'll take the photos but I'm not going to kill myself if they don't get uploaded ASAP.

cjmorgan

Post Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:44 am

darter02 wrote: What's the point of doing a Photo a Day for a Year of you do not shoot
every single day?? Anybody can shoot on any given day, so what is the
big deal with shooting whenever you just feel like it? There is no big deal…anyone can do it.

Well, truth be told, anybody can take a single snapshot each and
every day, even a seven year old. So the reality is that just going
click with a camera each and every day isn't any big deal either.

darter02 wrote:The whole point of this exercise is to learn more about your own style of photography through the daily discipline of shooting.

Okay, I think we're sort of in agreement about what the spirit of the
project is all about -- a way of learning, exploring, challenging one's
self... all to the point that it improves one as an image maker.

darter02 wrote:If someone wants to only shoot whenever they want, that is fine, but to me; that is not a Photo a Day project.

You know, you earlier talked about time becaming precious as life
becames busy. And I'm sure there's many of us that can relate
exactly to that. I know I can relate to it. And that's why I don't
shoot each and every day any more than it at all makes sense
to go to the grocery store every single day. The reasonableness
of a bit of time efficiency means that we might go grocery shopping
once or twice a week (or whatever) and buy enough food to last
for more than just a day at a time.

Well, for me, that's the way I shoot as well -- I might be out on a
Saturday, shoot like mad that day, and then not shoot again for
a number of days after that. And that's what you see in my PAD
gallery... by the end of the year I'll have 365 (or 366?) pictures
posted, but if I just locked myself into shooting each and every
single day, what you'd be viewing would mostly be just a lot
of mindless half-hearted snapshot which would be a waste of
my time to take and waste of your time to view. So I just don't
approach my PAD that way any more than it makes any reasonable
sense to go grocery shopping each day. For those of us that have
a life, it's really just not practical to try to shoot something good
each and every single day. And a waste of both our time and
those that view our images if we don't shoot in a way which just
makes much more sense.

[quote="darter02"]
Perhaps it should be called, “Post a Photo a Dayâ€

annayu

Post Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:59 am

Agree with you completely CJMorgan. I usually even delete most of my pictures at the end of each month, choosing only maybe 5-10 pictures to represent each month. If all my pictures from today turn out crappy I have no remorse about using a better one from yesterday.

"Yeah, so what?"

champa

Post Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:57 am

Hello all PADers,
I am enjoying doing PAD, although I am not posting every day as I should...mostly due to others commitments, such as travels, sickness and jury duty. Some days I take in the 3 digits of photos, others in the tens but do taking photo most day...I try to post the day that I shot but mostly I post the next day...This does not make me a less PADers then anyone else...I do because I love to take photos...I admire those who does it daily...
I feel that we should enjoying PAD without getting into who is doing what and when...I love to browse through them and if it is the photo that the owner wishing to share that day then I cannot see why there should be a problem...One Picture Per Day! and enjoy.
C :)

robin_r_mitchell

Post Sat Sep 25, 2004 3:58 am

clickaway wrote:... I think much of the problem lies in who do we count as a PaD person?

If you look in the PaD meta-gallery you will find
i) People who take a fresh photo every day without fail
ii) People who, in varying degrees, and for various reasons, only take a PaD on some days
iii) People who do a daily posting, but always
with archival pictures
iv) People who have successfully completed a year of PaDing and have used the meta-gallery as a showcase
v) People who have no right to be in the meta gallery and just abuse its existence as a place to show their work.

To me, and I imagine you Ron, category (i) is the one you think of true PaD people.
Ray

Ray,

While I don't post a photo everyday I do take a photo everyday. I shoot only film and often complete multiple days on a single roll. Then there is development/scan time. It takes an hour to develop a minimum of 2 hours to dry 1 - 2 hours to scan and about an hour to select and post process. that is a total of 5 - 6 hours per day if I develop everyday and does not count the time to shoot the photo. So since I combine multiple days into a single processing cycle should I not be counted as a PaD'er? How many PaD'ers invest that much time?

Robin

clickaway

Post Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:25 am

Robin,

I suspect very few Paders invest that much time, and I commend you for the dedication.

In my mind, 'Photo a Day' means taking a picture each day, and since most people are using digital and have access to a PC most of the time, the image is usually posted the same day too.

To me, there's no problem in posting later, for whatever reason!

It seems you come in category (i) in my previous post. Sounds good to me!

Ray

Next

Board index PBase PaD Discussion How many are there now?