Board index PBase PaD Discussion Thoughts on Posting Comments

PaD Discussion

Thoughts on Posting Comments

discuss photo-a-day projects
hgebeaux

Thoughts on Posting Comments

Post Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:10 am

When I first started a PaD gallery, I wondered how to get people to view it and make comments. I then discovered that if I commented on them, they would comment on me. Many of the comments were kind of like acknowledgement stuff, which I certainly appreciated. But I soon wondered if I was making these kind of comments mainly to get responses.
After some thought, I have figured that a very good purpose of making comments for me is so I can better understand the picture I'm viewing and help myself in my future work. I guess like using each picture I view as a kind of workshop for myself.
So, my comments have become more than acknowledgements and try to deal with what issues I see in the image I'm viewing - like cropping decisions, composition, the like. I'm never critical, as every picture is good, as it is how a person sees things.
I am discovering from this approach that I can really learn a lot.
How do most people approach comments? And do photographers appreciate receiving the kind of comment I'm talking about, or would most rather just get something like - "It's nice." "Love it."?
The only problem I've met with this is that when I ask a question, I seldom get an answer. Some have responded, and I greatly appreciate that. Maybe the best place for questions is in this forum, although it seems it would be difficult dealing with a specific picture here. Any thoughts?
Just wondering.
Howard

clickaway

Post Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:41 pm

I'm sure I'm as guilty as the next one when it comes to this. However, I do try and make a constructive criticism if I'm comfortable with that, and that really depends on how I "know" the photographer through their photographs, comments, and messages.

For me, remarks like "Nice" are meaningless, but an accumulation of positive comments really give me a lift, and make me feel good. That's important to me.

Some people are sensitive to criticism, and we often don't know who these people are.

But as for a critique, I'm happy to receive that.

Ray

wangi

Post Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:33 pm

We could also help get constructive criticism from our PAD shots by asking some specific questions in the description? For example:

I wasn't sure on the cropping - I've left in the branch on the far left, but what do you think?

dazedgonebye

Constructive criticism...

Post Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:31 pm

...can be a touch thing.
Some folks have expressed that they just plain are not interested in it. I use my copywrite statement to ask for criticism.
On several occations, I have made a suggested change and updated my photo, giving credit to the person making the suggestion.
I'm less comfortable offering criticism, unless, as Ray points out, I know the person would be receptive.

jypsee

I only make a suggestion

Post Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:58 pm

when I think the photo is actually worth changing...for example, I made a suggestion to hgebeaux
http://www.pbase.com/hgebeaux/image/33390567
(pbase server did it's thing again and posted the comment twice...one, or both, could be deleted)

regarding a very nice composition that I thought could have been improved by eliminating some distractions in the foreground. We're big girls and boys here and as long as the feedback is just that and not malicious, then I see no reason not to offer a suggestion. I can use the suggestion or I can ignore the suggestion...it's up to me.
jypsee in MI
http://www.pbase.com/jypsee/root

adalberto_tiburzi

Post Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:29 pm

Since I am often tired of writing in a foreign language, sometimes I put an exclamation only.
If I'm lucky, the one who follows explains for me.
Here is an example, involving Alexei, the precise mathematician from Norway
http://www.pbase.com/gommalacca/image/33815788
Thanks Alex!
8) Adal

simonkirk

Time

Post Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:11 pm

I wish i could spend more time going through the galleries, i have about 90 mins tops of an evening to sit at the computer and that includes taking my photo for the day, sometimes i just enjoy the photos and comment where i can, it is not justice enough for all the hard work people put in, pity but i catch up when i can
Simon Kirk

adalberto_tiburzi

Post Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:56 am

I want to inform you of my new comment style.
In order to save time and keep on browsing, I'll comment only by declaring publicly my vote, writing "vote" or something so.

In voting I will follow Slug's suggestion. He writes:
"Vote for photos and galleries that you think are good and that other people will want to see"
"The purpose of the popularity ranking is so we can easily find galleries that other people think are worth looking at."

For Slug, voting is not only a prize to an author (photographers are not race-horses, HCB said),
or a mere encouragement, but (more important) a service to pBase.
So I'll vote a lot, and I believe that the search engine called Popular will work better.
It suffers from the lack of voters, and could easily be manipulated, and become prey of well-organized sects :wink:

PS
I presume that if I feel the need to vote, there must be a reason even if I don't know exactly which it is.
So, in case you want me to do the effort of explaining it in words,
please Pmail me :-)
Last edited by adalberto_tiburzi on Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8) Adal

gpaai

Post Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:43 pm

I am always in contact with others talking about images and other PAD issues. A lot of times in the comment area I will not get technical, but instead just add a thumbs up with an exclamation point. This tells the artist that their image has arroused excitement in me.

Being at the half way point, I have experienced a lot of emotions with PAD. Such things as "why is this person ignoring me today" or "man my image must really suck today no one is commenting". There are even 2 or 3 individuals, that when they don't comment I freak out, simply because I value their opinions that much, (I won't mention any names).

Entering into the second half of my tour of duty on PAD, I am taking on a new attitude. The first half I was so stressed over getting on the popular galleries list, and now that I have I have discovered, so what.

Don't get me wrong I appreciate the votes and kind words of fellow PADders, but I will no longer put myself through the stress and anxiety that I was placing on myself to produce every day.

No longer will I be controlled by the PM's informing me that I am on the wrong web site, that PBase is about photos and not Photoshop manipulations. To that I say "Screw "em!"

I enjoy my time spent on PBase and even anticipate the times I can come on for nothing more than to view the images of others.

Let's see what the next 183 days brings...

Gary
I love photoshopography.......

shannon_halsaver

Post Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:30 pm

When I am looking through the PADs I tend to click on the images that catch my eye, and if I am still impressed then I simply leave a "great image" or smething to that extent, I don't tend to give critiquing advise unless something really sticks out as needing an improvement. To me the "hey great image" posts that I recieve are helpful in the fact that they make me feel like hey, someone does like it, even if they aren't specific as to what about it they like, they saw it and cared enough to comment.... I think that if you like an image, let the person know... if you like an image but can see something that needs improving, let the person know... if you don't like the image, let the person know...but be nice, supportive and don't be a coward and hide under a GUEST sign in, that's just wrong, we are not here to bash other people, this is kind of like a support system here, we help eachother, I don't know where I'd be if I didn't come here everyday to see everyone's work, or to show everyone else a little glimpse of my world....

robin_r_mitchell

Re: Thoughts on Posting Comments

Post Sat Sep 25, 2004 3:45 am

hgebeaux wrote:When I first started a PaD gallery, I wondered how to get people to view it and make comments. I then discovered that if I commented on them, they would comment on me. Many of the comments were kind of like acknowledgement stuff, which I certainly appreciated. But I soon wondered if I was making these kind of comments mainly to get responses.
After some thought, I have figured that a very good purpose of making comments for me is so I can better understand the picture I'm viewing and help myself in my future work. I guess like using each picture I view as a kind of workshop for myself.
So, my comments have become more than acknowledgements and try to deal with what issues I see in the image I'm viewing - like cropping decisions, composition, the like. I'm never critical, as every picture is good, as it is how a person sees things.
I am discovering from this approach that I can really learn a lot.
How do most people approach comments? And do photographers appreciate receiving the kind of comment I'm talking about, or would most rather just get something like - "It's nice." "Love it."?
The only problem I've met with this is that when I ask a question, I seldom get an answer. Some have responded, and I greatly appreciate that. Maybe the best place for questions is in this forum, although it seems it would be difficult dealing with a specific picture here. Any thoughts?
Just wondering.
Howard

Howard,

In my comments I try to detail what element of the photo I like and occasionally I will say what I don't like, usually via a private message. If the person objects to receiving such a message I don't do so again. I've had a couple of cases where I've given such feedback and people have asked me to continue to do so and some where I never hear from the person again, I take that as a I don't want to hear it and leave them alone.

Personally I want to hear what is good and what can be done better and encourge an honest discussion. You have to be careful because people can be pretty sensitive sometimes. I've found however that if you are honest, courteous and have a caring attitude most comments are received well.

Robin

ianm_au

Post Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:28 pm

I visit a lot of PaDs and don't always comment. Some I think need a constructive comment or others need an appreciative comment, others I just look and try to understand their point of view.

I don't expect people to visit my PaD just because i visited theirs, I would like it if people visited my site because they thoght the photo was interesting and maybe even worth a critical or praiseworthy comment.

The other problem with photos on the web, most of them loose the WOW factor. Some of mine I am getting blown up to A3 size for hanging, but on the web they look fairly ordinary to me.

gpaai

Post Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:26 am

ianm_au wrote:The other problem with photos on the web, most of them loose the WOW factor. Some of mine I am getting blown up to A3 size for hanging, but on the web they look fairly ordinary to me.

There is a lot of loss of detail when reducing.
I love photoshopography.......

katwilkens

Post Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:48 pm

It's fun and gratifying to get a few comments on my photos. I don't mind if someone tells me how to improve the shot. I leave comments on the ones I like. If I know why it's good I say so, but sometimes I just like it without being able to articulate why. It's an emotional response.

I'll be leaving on a trip soon so I won't be able to comment for a while--the dial-up connection is too slow. I may be able to post my PaDs via a laptop or I'll get caught up when I return.

antlegg

Post Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:06 pm

I like the idea of some constuctive criticism. One of my teachers taught me to point out what works in an image. I like this approach in that it helps to reinforce the strengths of an image, especially when you are learning, and I am always learning.

Next

Board index PBase PaD Discussion Thoughts on Posting Comments