Board index PBase PaD Discussion Film and PaD

PaD Discussion

Film and PaD

discuss photo-a-day projects
robin_r_mitchell

Film and PaD

Post Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:38 pm

How many PaD shooters use film? I would assume that most use digital, I use film and find that development and scan time really adds to the challenge of getting a once a day photo out, in fact my best seems to be posting 2 or 3 days at a time.

ziggers

Post Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:02 pm

I use film too, though none of my film shots have made it into my PAD yet. I like to use B&W film, and that take generally two days to develop (I send it out -- no room for a darkroom here) so I would either have a blank day in my PAD gallery for a couple of days while waiting for the film shot, or posting an older shot.

Digital does make it easy to do the take a pic and post it on the same day, though.

But film -- oh film is so lovely.

robin_r_mitchell

Post Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:16 pm

Angela,

I take if from your post that you shoot both film and digital. As to development, I develop my own B&W using a loading bag and a developing can. I can't print, but I have a film scanner so I develop the film and then scan for posting. My big problem is keeping enough film on hand and being able to finish a roll before development, I hate to just burn film or develop incomplete rolls. And yes I too love film, its probably because I'm old :wink: I hope film never goes away.

ziggers wrote:I like to use B&W film, and that take generally two days to develop (I send it out -- no room for a darkroom here)...

simonkirk

film

Post Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:15 pm

I also shoot film although i have yet to post one as my PAD i normaly get my rolls developed each month or as i use them, i mostly shoot digital so i get through 1 possible 2 rolls a month at best.
Simon Kirk

robin_r_mitchell

Re: film

Post Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:00 pm

It sounds like I may have to go digital someday if only to have the option available to me. I use a Minolta Maxxum7 and have all my investment in lenses to consider. Minolta did announce a Maxxum style digital but I'm not sure of cost or availability.

simonkirk wrote:I also shoot film although i have yet to post one as my PAD i normaly get my rolls developed each month or as i use them, i mostly shoot digital so i get through 1 possible 2 rolls a month at best.

cjmorgan

Re: Film and PaD

Post Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:34 pm

robin_r_mitchell wrote:How many PaD shooters use film? I would assume that most use digital, I use film and find that development and scan time really adds to the challenge of getting a once a day photo out, in fact my best seems to be posting 2 or 3 days at a time.

I haven't shot a roll of film in over two years now, and don't imagine
I'll ever go back to it. It just feels archaic to me now. Not that I begrudge
anyone else who uses film, but only to say that at least for me, going back
to film at this point would only have me feeling undue frustration and
restrainment.
CJ
http://www.pbase.com/cjmorgan/photoaday2004

shaun

Post Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:11 pm

ziggers wrote:I use film too, though none of my film shots have made it into my PAD yet. I like to use B&W film, and that take generally two days to develop (I send it out -- no room for a darkroom here) so I would either have a blank day in my PAD gallery for a couple of days while waiting for the film shot, or posting an older shot.

Digital does make it easy to do the take a pic and post it on the same day, though.

Yes, same here Angela. Film is oh-so-loverly. :D

adalberto_tiburzi

Post Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:27 pm

I love film so much that I do every effort to reproduce its look in digital...
http://www.pbase.com/adalberto_tiburzi/bw
8) Adal

shannon_halsaver

Post Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:33 pm

I think that if you buy film in bulk and load your own then you can make rolls of film with only a few exposures (say 5) that way you can develop everyday without wasting too much film....

gpaai

Post Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:05 pm

I had a couple of film cameras years ago. I actually miss them, though I think for PAD it would be pretty tough to keep up. Maybe adding one or two film images to your PAD a month would be cool...

Gary
I love photoshopography.......

jazzmech

I Love Both

Post Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:17 pm

I shoot both digital and film at the moment and find great satisfaction in both modes. I love the digital for the great photos and real time viewing. On the other hand. I love shooting film as I am taking photos courses and feel a real rush when I get the film negatives developed and see the rseults of my work.

distorted

Re: Film and PaD

Post Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:04 am

robin_r_mitchell wrote:How many PaD shooters use film? I would assume that most use digital, I use film and find that development and scan time really adds to the challenge of getting a once a day photo out, in fact my best seems to be posting 2 or 3 days at a time.

I use film exclusively I don't own a digital camera.. I have no problems getting pic's up daily, however I do have my own dark room.. and I do bulk loading of film and shoot tons of shots daily.. leaving me at least 2 to 4 24 or 36 exp rolls to dev every day. I to also have a scanner to scan neg's, which helps reduce time of 'prints'

As I have several SLR's the Yashica FX-3 and Pentax K1000 are my main B&W shooters.. i use my canon rebel and pentax zx50 for mostly color (which I send to the lab for processing).
Life is just a series of repeatative tasks!

Chris Carruba
http://www.pbase.com/distorted

butchcomer

Film and PaD

Post Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:40 am

You know, I prefer film myself. I believe the "spirit" of PaD is more important than the letter of the law, so at times I have taken my photo for the day; it being trapped in my camera waiting for the roll to be filled and processed. I simply made a note of which exposure I intended for which day and posted it accordingly. After all, I think the assignment was meant to keep our eyes fresh and to challenge us to shoot lots of pictures; to be a "photographer" every day and not let our cameras collect dust! I certainly don't view this as a gross violation of any kind. I like posting everyday and so mostly I go digital. Make allowances for film, I guess. That's just me, though. :)

Board index PBase PaD Discussion Film and PaD