Board index PBase PaD Discussion Censorship of Disparaging and Derogatory Comments

PaD Discussion

Censorship of Disparaging and Derogatory Comments

discuss photo-a-day projects
judespics

Censorship of Disparaging and Derogatory Comments

Post Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:19 pm

Fellow PaDers,

I have changed my user name to be more ananimous. I've done this following a number of derogatory comments regarding one photo in particluar. I have also added the following disclaimer to a few of my galleries in the hopes that this will end the unwelcomed comments once and for all. I believe these comments have come from 'Guests'.

** MESSAGE TO GUESTS REGARDING THE CENSORING OF COMMENTS **
These photos are posted for their visual amd artistic merit. Any constructive comments relating to these criteria are greatly appreciated. However, these are MY photo's and this is MY space - I PAY THE RENT! I WILL not accept or allow comments that are disparaging or derogaroty toward another person or group of people. ANY FORM OF HARASSMENT OR DISCRIMINATION IS NOT ALLOWED IN MY GALLERIES.

I generally take photo's of people with their permission. I view that as a trust in me. I do not post photos of people in my galleries so that others can take pot shots at that person or group.

I will continue to be diligent in my censorship of such comments from any of my galleries!

Take care ( and lots of photos)
Jude
Last edited by judespics on Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

ukexpat

Re: Censorship of Disparaging and Derogatory Comments

Post Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:07 pm

judespics wrote:Fellow PaDers,

I have changed my user name to be more ananimous. I've done this following a number of derogatory comments regarding one photo in particluar. I have also added the following disclaimer to a few of my galleries in the hopes that this will end the unwelcomed comments once and for all. I believe these comments have come from 'Guests'.

** MESSAGE TO GUESTS REGARDING THE CENSORING OF COMMENTS **
These photos are posted for their visual amd artistic merit. Any constructive comments relating to these criteria are greatly appreciated. However, these are MY photo's and this is MY space - I PAY THE RENT! I WILL not accept or allow comments that are disparaging or derogaroty toward another person or group of people. ANY FORM OF HARASSMENT OR DISCRIMINATION IS NOT ALLOWED IN MY GALLERIES.

I generally take photo's of people with their permission. I view that as a trust in me. I do not post photos of people in my galleries so that others can take pot shots at that person or group.

I will continue to be diligent in my censorship of such comments from any of my galleries!

Take care ( and lots of photos)
Jude

Did you think about editing your settings so that guests cannot comment, only logged-in users. At least then you would be able to track down the wankers and report them to Slug and Emily.

slowpokebill

I can feel your pain

Post Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:50 am

Wanda and I get our fair share of rude and crude "guest" comments. Our approach has been to just ignore and delete.

If you make any comment, reply or give any attention to the jerk guest then they get the attention they seek. It is that control they want; so, I won't allow them that satisfaction. When I'm not going to be around for a day or so then I just change my account settings to only allow Pbase users to comment. We get many of our comments from non-Pbase users and many say they enjoy the comments and discussion; so, I don't want them to not enjoy that part of our PAD. Most of the time we allow anyone to comment and just monitor the gallery through out the day and delete the personal attacks.

Bill and Wanda
Taking it one day at a time
http://www.pbase.com/slowpokebill/picture_a_day_of_wanda

judespics

GREAT ADVICE!

Post Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:09 am

Nigel, Bill and Wanda,

Thanks so much for your valued advice. I'm going to follow it.

I'll certainly make better use of the various settings! As much as the derogaroty comments annoy, I'd hate to limit or discourage PaDers and non-PaDers from leaving constructive comments.

I really don't think that using the disclaimer is very inviting either - so I'm doing away with it .. and I'll just monitor and delete unwelcomed comments in my galleries.

Again, thanks so much!
Jude

Board index PBase PaD Discussion Censorship of Disparaging and Derogatory Comments