Board index PBase PaD Discussion How long did it take, and what did you upgrade to?

PaD Discussion

How long did it take, and what did you upgrade to?

discuss photo-a-day projects
buildingup

How long did it take, and what did you upgrade to?

Post Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:47 am

Two questions:

How long did it take for you to upgrade your camera after starting your Pad and...what did you upgrade to? Oh, what made you upgrade? Seeing other's galleries? Needed something smaller?

I started on May 29th using a Sony S-85. I have not upgraded yet, but I have the hankering to do so. It will either be a Sony DSC-F828 or a Nikon D70.

Maury E.
http://www.pbase.com/buildingup

clickaway

Post Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:30 am

I started off with a Fuji 2600Zoom in July 2002. This I took away on holiday with me to the USA and was largely fine for that, but it was slow to turn itself on etc. and it was programmed for iso 100 only.

But my film camera was a Canon SLR and I had a decent zoom lens for that. I found my Fuji increasingly frustrating and bought my Canon EOS300D Rebel in December 2003. It cost about three times as much as I've paid for any other camera, but it has been worth it. It has transformed my photography. My 100-300 zoom lens actually equates to a max of 480mm and I have yet to use this to its full potential with wildlife shots for example. But the bigger lens does give you more impact whatever you shoot.

I would not hesitate to step up to something like the D70. You will have no regrets.

lj0913

D70

Post Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:35 am

Ray is so RIGHT! I started with a Sony DSC-S85, and upgraded to the D70. It's a bit of a learning curve, but well worth it. I enjoy my D70 everyday!

-Larry

lizardbeth

Post Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:55 pm

I had an Olympus point and shoot until a year ago February when I bought a Canon 10D. I found a local photographer that offers SLR classes and ran with it. My photography has really improved since I started PaD a year ago. It's such a great exercise for creativity and technique.

buildingup

Post Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:26 pm

I realize that a new camera will not correct my composition, lighting, or skill. I am taking more photos and learning the camera that I do have. I will eventually move into a DSLR, but I want to be certain that it is not consumerism taking over. I do enjoy others galleries and skills. I have my own style, so thanks for the comments. I will wait until my current camera rolls over 10,000 shots and then decide.

davballguy

Post Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:47 am

yeah, it really depends on your "style". consumerism is definitely a big part of the DSLR revolution, and I've seen many stunning PaD galleries made with pocket-sized digitals.

I'm not sure what your "style" is, but my personal feeling is that most artistic photography can be done with a consumer camera. To me, a DSLR is warrented when your primary subjects are people or animals, such as in wildlife, photojournalism, action, candids, or portraits. (I love action and candids, therefore got the Nikon D100). For subjects like landscapes, flowers, architecture, studio scenes, and macros, consumer-level cameras are probably the better deal.

wes
A photo a day
Keeps hard workers at play.
http://www.pbase.com/davballguy/

exodeepblue

Post Sat Jul 24, 2004 5:29 pm

I started digital photography with a Toshiba PDR-M81. A 4.2MP camera that had lots of extras. This was years ago. Then I had my wedding photographed with digital EOS (1Ds) and thought about how much more I could do with a digital EOS, but didn't want to spend 10 grand. Then the Digital Rebel came out and I picked it up.

Can't wait for the next generation of Digital EOS to come out.

simonkirk

change

Post Sat Jul 24, 2004 9:03 pm

When i first started the PAD project i was using an Olympus 5050z and a C350z point and shoot, i moved up in a big way to my Nikon D100 a few months ago and i frsrt started the PAD project back in november 03, i still use the other cameras but i broken my 5050z and it is away for repair.

A bit of history though i first got into photography about 3 years ago with a KodaK DX3600, i then moved to a Sony DC-51 a little while later i bought my 5050 so i could experiment with manual modes and get a little more creative, my little 350z is my riding camera i allways have it when out for a bike ride.
Simon Kirk

Dynamic Light Photography

philinnz

sticking with what I have

Post Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:37 pm

I use a nikon cp5000 and although some things frustrate me, I can get some great pics with it. If I use it to its full extent (shoot tiff mode for example) it returns great results. The only reason I would upgrade to a dslr is the availability of additional lenses and manual focus at the lens

Board index PBase PaD Discussion How long did it take, and what did you upgrade to?