Board index PBase PaD Discussion I Hope I Don't Catch *too much* Crap For This....

PaD Discussion

I Hope I Don't Catch *too much* Crap For This....

discuss photo-a-day projects
gpaai

Post Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:28 am

rtwo wrote:1) A PaD meta gallery for people who are trying to do a shot a day or most days, but within the spirit that we are trying to learn and grow with this sense of discipline of regular current posts.

2) Another Meta Gallery for folks who just want to post a pix a day regardless of when taken etc.

I think the biggest concern (from what I am seeing) are those that post multiple images, bumping themselves up as a way to continually bring exposure to their galleries.

Personally I have no problem with anything other than that. What they are doing is pushing the images of those that do post once a day back lessening the chance of others seeing your photo.

Gary
I love photoshopography.......

dog_breath

this whole thread makes me laugh

Post Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:40 am

some of these PAD Nazi's need to get a life. I cant believe the fuss being made over something so simple. Why not just scroll past the stuff you dont like? I am new to Pbase. I don't have a PAD. I am considering starting a PAD in an attempt to become better at my hobby (I am the first to admit that I stink at it right now). I visit the PAD meta site every day because I enjoy looking at the pix and I like the skill of some of the folks and the way that everyone seems to share ideas and support each other. But some seem to have the attitude that everyone should do it their way or not at all.. not sure if I wil start a pad now or not. I may not be able to pass inspection. I will continue to check out the site each day because I enjoy it (unless of course the nazi's get me barred). I'm not trying to make anyone mad here, just voicing an opinion.. keep smiling folks!

djarvik

Re: this whole thread makes me laugh

Post Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:48 am

dog_breath wrote:some of these PAD Nazi's need to get a life. I cant believe the fuss being made over something so simple. Why not just scroll past the stuff you dont like?

the meta gallery was created as per request of PaDers FOR PaDers, and people seem to forget it.... it is even called "PaD Metta Gallery"! :)

yeahh!!

ok,ok, I do scroll past them, I just don't think it's fare..

jengle

Post Sun Jun 27, 2004 4:20 am

Great conversation. I agree that there are certainly non PaD galleries posting to the PaD list. 10 shots of the family picnic last april for example. However I do take exception to excluding "archive" photos. I'm in the process of going through and scanning and editing photos taken 20 to 30 years ago (or more). Many have never been printed - I may or may not have seen them as a tiny proof image, but not in their full color (or B&W).

In general I try and post a new picture taken by me that day. In some cases one of my scanned images takes my fancy, and I post that instead. This week I returned from a vacation where I was away from the internet for almost 3 weeks... I took pictures every day (nearly 1000 pictures for the entire trip). My digital camera broke and I had to have another one sent to me; but fortunately I had brought my Canon EOS 50e with me along with some film. It took me a couple of days to get all my pictures sorted, scanned, and digitally framed. So this week was an exeption to my 'rule' regarding posting that day.

So, to make a short story long - I too agree with most comments. There are those who either abuse or more likely don't understand the PaD feature. Otherwise, post the best damn picture you've worked on for that day - I don't care if it was taken in the last 60 seconds or the last 60 years.

clickaway

Post Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:50 pm

The only real problem I have is with those who tag their wedding photos or whatever as their PaD gallery.

I scroll through the meta gallery and if I see a photo that I like, I will open it and maybe comment. But if its very good and not a 'Daily' photo I steadfastly refuse to comment on it.

I'm not usually aware of 7 weekend photos being uploaded throughout the week.

I think the important part of this is the spirit of it all. Whilst I have achieved a 100% PaD rate for the last ten months, it has been tough and I don't have so many commitments as the rest of you. So if you post an archive photo once in a while, or feel you need to take a break from PaD for a short time because of personal circumstances, I don't have a problem with that!

Slug created the Meta Gallery but never really explained what it was, hence the confusion over the principles of it all.

To have a second meta gallery for some other category would be a nightmare. We have enough of a problem what a PaD should be about, let alone something else. And how many of us would look through a second meta gallery or a second web site such as Alon's. How many of us have the time??

I really find it difficult to comment on all my favourite images now. So apologies to those who don't see my comments nearly so often. A lack of comment should not be treated as an insult or that your work is below par.

Ray

cjmorgan

Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:58 am

PROPOSAL: 2 META-GALLERIES

PAD META-GALLERY - for those folks who are particiating in their own PAD project

SHOWCASE META-GALLERY - a place for those who want to to showcase and
call attention to their work... one image per photographer at any given time; each person's
image can be changed up as often as the individual likes

C J

mysticchyna

I like this idea CJ

Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:46 am

cjmorgan wrote:PROPOSAL: 2 META-GALLERIES

PAD META-GALLERY - for those folks who are particiating in their own PAD project

call attention to their work... one image per photographer at any given time; each person's

C J

Yes...this is a nice idea. We shall hopefully hear from Slug soon. :)
Have a good week.
My Eyes R My Camera....I behold the world within my lens..........
--lisa

rtwo

Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:56 am

That is close to what I suggested much more clearly stated. I am all for CJ's idea.
Robin Reid
"Lets snap to it" <grin>

gpaai

Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:28 am

cjmorgan wrote:PROPOSAL: 2 META-GALLERIES

C J

I don't want to seem pessimistic, but while this may seem like a solution, I believe it will give those seeking exposure for their works yet another venue, without leaving the other.

Just a thought: Is there a way that Slug can program the PAD meta gallery so that an individual can only post once in a 24 hour period? Not sure this will be a total solution, but at least those posting multiples won't be able to continually bump our images back.

Gary

jeannius

Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:36 am

Gary, If a person is only allowed to post once in a 24 hour period, and they go on a vacation, when they come back they will NEVER be able to catch up. That isn't a good idea.

Why don't we all just use our favorites? I mean, this issue has gone on for a long time, and really, it's NOT that big of a problem is it? At first I was irritated by it, but I have to admit, I forget about the META gallery and operate off my favorites AND by who comes to MY galleries.

I've made great friends here, let's keep it a happy place !! :P

clickaway

Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:21 am

I use both the PaD gallery and my favourites. We get some good work showing from new PaD people and the meta gallery shows these up.

On Pbase generally, there are many attractive galleries that don't get good exposure, and so I can see the benefit of a Showcase gallery. It might be used a lot by those yearning attention though. In an ideal world, they could be selected by a rotating independent panel of PBase members - perhaps from a pool of galleries submitted by photographers and those 'found' by the panel.

Ray

gpaai

Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:59 pm

jeannius wrote:Gary, If a person is only allowed to post once in a 24 hour period, and they go on a vacation, when they come back they will NEVER be able to catch up. That isn't a good idea.

I understand what you are saying. I do see some PADers that have an overflow gallery they use for PAD extras or that image they couldn't make up their mind to post as a color or B&W image, so in turn direct others to that gallery to see the second image via their comments.

I'm not trying to stir things up here, but just trying to possibly be a part of the solution.

Gary

clickaway

Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:45 pm

I do on occassion link to a second daily photo from my PaD, but they usually get very little attention. Its all a bit disappointing when you think you've really taken two or more ouitstanding pictures.

C'est la vie...

simonkirk

Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:25 pm

jeannius wrote:Gary, If a person is only allowed to post once in a 24 hour period, and they go on a vacation, when they come back they will NEVER be able to catch up. That isn't a good idea.

Why don't we all just use our favorites? I mean, this issue has gone on for a long time, and really, it's NOT that big of a problem is it? At first I was irritated by it, but I have to admit, I forget about the META gallery and operate off my favorites AND by who comes to MY galleries.

I've made great friends here, let's keep it a happy place !! :P

The 24 hour rule would make it difficult for me to get a photo each day as i do dhift work (i even have problems now)
The idea of the showcase is a good idea definatly worth looking into, lets just hope the situation does not degrade into the nasty situation we had a few months ago, remember breathe relax and chill!
Simon Kirk

demorcan

Post Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:38 am

I understand the basic concept that started this discussion. I have seen someone who says on their PaD gallery the photo should be taken that day, unprocessed, and posted that day. They are on their 2nd year and have posted something taken that day. My problem is with the definition of a photo. I see people who look at their computer monitor and push a button on their camera. Or at their wall oe whatever. They get something posted that day which was taken that day. I have done this, and I think all have. But is this a photo? I can setup my camera on interval or controlled by the computer to take a photo every 24 hours (with an AC supply so the battery would not go dead). This would meet the rules of people who post rules. But, I would not consider that a photo even though the scene out my window would change some each day. I have a personal standard for what I consider a photo. I will not even discuss that standard or attempt to impose it on someone else. I am disappointed in myself when I take a junk snapshot just to have something for that day. Friday when I had to work and drive 6 hours afterward, I did not have time to take a photo. I could have taken a snapshot and posted it. I chose not to. To me, part of the purpose of PaDing was to develope as a photographer. Taking snapshots to meet a goal does not help that. In fact it works the opposite as one has to lower their standards in order to get something to post. I mentioned this in my PaD one day. Some people asked me not to quit PaD. So, I am still posting and it is still in the PaD metagallery. Friday was the first time I did not post anything. I am one day behind since I was out of state all weekend. I will skip another photo this week to get back on schedule. I personally just get tired of processing good photos from the day before then taking a quick jumk photo to get a PaD. So I will not do it anymore. If people think I should remove my PaD gallery from the metagallery, I will. There is a group who will look at my photos anyway and others who will never look at my photos. A short while ago, I had to spend about 40 hours in a hospital room waiting for the last relative to arrive so they could turn off the life support. A camera would have been very unwelcome there. Sometimes life gets in the way of a photo every day. And personally, I am glad I have important things in my life they may some days preclude a PaD. I would say I want to take pride in my PaDs. But yesterday I started a new gallery and will be taking photos to illustrate some of my many writings. I plan to keep doing this and not all the photos will be special in their own write. They will serve only to illustrate a poem, essay, etc. Still it is my own standard. And I think people doing a PaD should set their own standards also. And if they are proud of their work for whatever reason, I will be glad to look at it and try to see the value they see in it. And if they are obviously posting junk to keep a numbers game going, I will probably not waste my time, nor do I expect them to waste time on my junk photos. Some people write quite a bit with their photos. And I will always look their photos up because I appreciate what they write and the way they share themselves with us. I think perhaps we need less rules and more opportunity to let new people get involved. When I started I posted some photos from what I had recently taken at the rate of one a day. I saw no rules and the one post here asking was giving different and conflicting answers. However, I looked at other peoples photos and soon figured it out. If I see someone make a gallery a PaD and post to it with some type or regularity, I try to encourage them to create a special gallery for their Photo they usually take every Day. This encouragement along with appreciation for their photos gets them started. And some will not be interested, but I try to never let the jerks get the best of me. Sometimes I think there education may be more useful than venting. And a general guideline about the PaD from Slug would be most helpful to all.

Demmy

PreviousNext

Board index PBase PaD Discussion I Hope I Don't Catch *too much* Crap For This....