Board index PBase PaD Discussion I Hope I Don't Catch *too much* Crap For This....

PaD Discussion

I Hope I Don't Catch *too much* Crap For This....

discuss photo-a-day projects
mysticchyna

Re: attention complainers

Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:35 am

:(
Last edited by mysticchyna on Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
My Eyes R My Camera....I behold the world within my lens..........
--lisa

adalberto_tiburzi

Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:20 am

Save the the John Kosters' bicycle gallery please...! :D
Last edited by adalberto_tiburzi on Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8) Adal

tudy

the spirit?

Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:14 pm

Ive been a base member for about a year or so and did set a folder as POD but to be honest I never really understood what the main idea was? I think Im a bit confused by this whole thread. Is it not to post a photo a day? And as long as you post that photo and it was taken by you what does it matter when it was taken? See.. Im confused. would someone mind telling me what the Spirit of pod is? :?

bigbad

Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:22 pm

the idea of PAD is to TAKE a photo a day, not to POST one every day. its an effort to get out and use the camera each and every day. most people post it that same day, though that's not always the case (if you're out of town for example)

and there is no offense meant by this, but anyone can post a photo a day. if i go to the zoo once and take a hundred photos, i can post one each day for the next hundred days, but where is the benefit of that? its much harder and requires more discipline to actually go out and take a new one each day. that's what PAD is about. whether you do it as a photo journal or a way to practice your camera skills, its about doing it everyday.
thou shalt not weigh more than thy refridgerator...

kstuebin

It's getting to me too now..

Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:06 pm

I took a sabbatical and came back so I have to click on names I don't recognize because they could have joined while I was gone. Half of them are people posting from non PAD galleries. And once I click, I've given them what they want - a hit. It's a shame really.

Karen

adalberto_tiburzi

Re: It's getting to me too now..

Post Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:54 am

kstuebin wrote:I've given them what they want - a hit. It's a shame really.

Karen

I totally agree. But I have to insist.
Very often they are not aware of the PaD rules (not written anywhere).
I know that for sure.
8) Adal

mysticchyna

Re: It's getting to me too now..

Post Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:08 pm

adalberto_tiburzi wrote:
kstuebin wrote:I've given them what they want - a hit. It's a shame really.

Karen

I totally agree. But I have to insist.
Very often they are not aware of the PaD rules (not written anywhere).
I know that for sure.

I know that is a factor and that is why I have Emailed Slug. Maybe he will add something to the site to explain what it is...but then again...PAD seems to be rather subjective anyway. --Lisa/mysticchyna
My Eyes R My Camera....I behold the world within my lens..........
--lisa

vid64

Well said Big Bad

Post Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:31 pm

Just wanted to say that I'm in total agreement with Big Bad.

cjmorgan

Re: I Hope I Don't Catch *too much* Crap For This....

Post Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:33 pm

mysticchyna wrote:I'm really getting sick of what I consider, (and I know it is MY issue...), but I'm getting sick of non PAD crap being dumped into the meta gallery...

First, it's not just your issue. And second, I agree with you completely!

And I'd even go so fars as to say I personally would have no qualms
harrassing those who abuse the PAD meta-gallery by putting up
their stupid non-PAD galleries, particularly the crap shot last month,
or last year, or 20 years ago, or whatever.

Seriously, GET IT OUTTA THERE -- it's the PAD META-GALLERY,
not the showcase for your favorite non-PAD project.

All of which is to say that I'm in complete agreement with you--
when I go to the PAD meta-gallery, I'm there to see what my
fellow PAD photographers have submitted for their PAD that
day. Just that and nothing more.

And I'm guessing we two ain't the only ones who would like
that little bit of etiquette strongly encouraged (or indeed
enforced).

C J

gpaai

Post Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:08 pm

So what is our next step?
I love photoshopography.......

dazedgonebye

Confessions of a part time PaD'r. (I know, not possible...)

Post Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:18 pm

After about 4 months of faithful daily shots and posting, I dropped my involvement to a few times a week. I just found that was all I could support in the long run. I know I’m not getting the same benefit as a daily posting, but as I said, it’s all I can support in my life right now.
I’ve left my gallery on the PaD meta gallery list. I’ve done this because I want to keep in touch with the people I’ve met through PaD and I still like the feedback when I post.
Now, I don’t post archive shots and I don’t take 7 shots in one day and then post them one day at a time. When I’m able to take a worthy shot, I post it that day or the next. If I don’t get a shot, I don’t post. This seems fair to me as I don’t abuse the forum by posting whatever I please whenever I please. Others will not agree.

I’ve read a number of comments, in this forum and other places, that tells me many of you think I should not post at all. Some folks, who used to visit my images with regularity, have stopped commenting since I changed my format. That’s one way of expressing their feelings on the subject. It’s a bit hurtful, I have to admit, but it serves as a reminder that, in the on-line world in particular, you haven’t always formed the relationships that you think you have.

So anyway, drop by and visit, if you think I’m not pissing in your pool….or ignore me. Your option.

jude_53

Post Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:00 pm

I piss in everyone's pool. It's a secret delight I have - they don't know about.. and they swim in it..LOL
Sorry.. i couldn't help it.
I think what you're talking about is different, Steven. You are posting from a gallery that once was PAD and now is a sometimes PAD. It's not like you're posting your food gallery on the meta gallery. I think it's perfectly fine and I was glad when you came back to it a little more often - when you COULD.
How about if Slug makes a similar meta type gallery for just anykind of photos? If you know what I mean.. woudl it be too overrun? is it possible?
Other than that, I look at the thumbnails
I click on the thumbnails that look good to me
I comment if I have something to say and they are PAD's
And I CLICK OFF IF THEY ARE NOT.. pretty damn simple.
Oh .. and by the way... if I like the photos I add them to my favorites so I can look at them later. There's more to photography than just PAD's - although I understand that it's harder to take pics everyday and post them EVERY day.. then just shooting whenever.

Just my opinion ... Oh and dazed? do you have a pool? I gotta go....lol

robinstatfeld

Post Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:03 pm

So what is our next step?

I've been thinking long and hard about this. I've researched sending an electric shock from the pbase server back to the offender's keyboard but unfortunately that is not possible (something having to do with the voltage differences for pbase users in other countries). But I hereby propose this alternate solution:

Every photo posted to the PaD meta gallery must feature, prominently, a person holding up a cover of that day's New York Times. Problem solved. :)

But seriously, there is but one "rule" stated by pbase, that people shouldn't abuse the meta gallery by posting multiple images a day. Why should it matter to anyone else if someone posts an image taken one hour, one day or one year ago? It is admirable that some of you religiously take a photo each day before the clock strikes 12 local time, don't crop, don't photoshop, etc, but frankly those are your rules. Why should it not be possible to be part of the community as long as one photo per day is posted, even if it wasn't taken according to your rules? There are lots of great photos out there that you are missing.

And how many of the devout have played catch up after a weekend away, posted an "archive shot" or posted and then reposted after changing your mind? If the "rules" were strictly enforced, you too would be thrown in the slammer, possibly in a cell with some dangerous criminal who ripped the tag off a mattress.

This started out as a fun, friendly, non-judgemental, loosely organized community. It would be nice if it stays that way! :D

rtwo

Post Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:57 pm

I am amazed at the heat this subject creates. How about this?

1) A PaD meta gallery for people who are trying to do a shot a day or most days, but within the spirit that we are trying to learn and grow with this sense of discipline of regular current posts.

2) Another Meta Gallery for folks who just want to post a pix a day regardless of when taken etc.

I like being able to review the PaD meta gallery as a way to see what people are doing beyond my favorites list. So that would be very convenient, then I could go to the other meta gallery to see what other folks do .. sometimes I see some really neat images and I learn from them too.
Robin Reid
"Lets snap to it" <grin>

djarvik

Post Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:22 am

Ok, I think it's about time for Slug to say something? :)

I have a proposition: IF slugs doesn't want to create two metta Galleries, I would take it upon myself to creat one, but you will have to submit a Pbase link to it....

...it will work the same way as a current one, with only one drowback, I do not have access to Slugs database, so you, PaDers, will have to submit a Pbase image link after uploading a photo to a gallery, it will take 5 sec. more effort but you will be assured that only PaD galleries make it there. (It will look exactly the same as it looks right now, but in a different place, well http://www.photoaday.net.

if anyone at all interested in such aproach, speak up. :)

Alon Brik
http://www.photoaday.net

PreviousNext

Board index PBase PaD Discussion I Hope I Don't Catch *too much* Crap For This....