Board index PBase PaD Discussion I Hope I Don't Catch *too much* Crap For This....

PaD Discussion

I Hope I Don't Catch *too much* Crap For This....

discuss photo-a-day projects
mysticchyna

I Hope I Don't Catch *too much* Crap For This....

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:16 pm

I"m sorry, but I have to say it. Better here than to go off on everyone.
First of all, I know there is no set rules or guidelines for the PAD...what constitutes a PAD, etc is very subjective....BUT.....in MY opinion....

I'm really getting sick of what I consider, (and I know it is MY issue...), but I'm getting sick of non PAD crap being dumped into the meta gallery. I don't have a photographic (pun not intended) memory and don't know all the names...and it is taking forever to sift through the manure and the real deal.
To me, posting photos every day that are a year old, sometimes two is NOT a PAD. I'm just gettign sick of it...I wish that at least they would be cleaver enough to remove the EXIF....that way they could blend in...like DUH.
To clarify my stance...I don't take exception to photos weeks old....it's this stuff that OBVIOUSLY doesn't fit the bill....I mean I'm not inflexable...just very annoyed...I mean even I don't do a photo exactly every single day....meh...you know what I mean....don't ya?

/end rant
Last edited by mysticchyna on Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Eyes R My Camera....I behold the world within my lens..........
--lisa

gpaai

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:56 pm

Personally I try to shot a fresh photo day after day, but on occasion, will take an archive (nothing over a week or two old) and manipulate/enhance it with Photoshop. To me this is my way of retaining some sort of discipline each and every day.

Of even greater concern to me is that I shoot and/or create an image that others will enjoy. This is one of the main reasons I became a part of PAD. After all, in the long run if I ever intend on selling an image, it will have to be because others are satisfied with it even more than I might myself be once in awhile.

Also, I originally thought, "Wow, this will be fun!" If I'm going to be tormented by technicalities (especially when it concerns PAD) I'll walk away from it. If someone were paying us to produce something a certain way, that would be a different story. No one is, so unless 2, 3 or more people say, "Gary, PAD isn't about what you're doing", I'll keep up my current standards.

Gary
I love photoshopography.......

djarvik

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:19 pm

Hi, there!

I totaly agree with you!
I brought up this question a month ago here, on this board, not a lot of people replyed.....now I see it gets to everyone!

People just abusing the system!

That's one of the resons I use the site that I've created to go thru PAD galleries, I know it take extra time, but for me it's worh it.

I do check however time to time the meta galley but latly I resorn more and more to my favorites list and the site.

BTW it's http://www.photoaday.net

Slug, If anything an be done to stop that from happening, please, let us know!

Cose this whole Idea is being abused. And I don't think it's right, at this rate, it will sonn become just a "random picture page" with a few PAD galleries on it (as we all know, more people here are NOT doing the PAD then the onces involved).

Sorry for my bad English ;)

Alon Brik
http://www.photoaday.net

gpaai

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:26 pm

So, from the way I am taking this, NEON would be an abuse of PAD since everyone involved will most likely not be taking the image on the day they upload it?

Gary

djarvik

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:49 pm

I don't think so, after all, people that are planing to do this, will be uploading photoas to their respectfull Pad's everyday, regardless, it's just one of the days of the week, the will use a theme rather then a random capture.... I'm talking about people that put their "other galleries" there non-pad. :)

I hope I explained my self ritght.

Alon Brik
http://www.photoaday.net

gpaai

Post Sun Jun 20, 2004 12:42 am

Oh, I'm sorry Alon... I misunderstood...

mysticchyna

To Clarify

Post Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:47 am

Gary, the NEON...or any other theme is a part OF PAD...like the people getting on my nerves wouldn't even BE doing it in the first place because they aren't doing PAD anyway...get it? So it's a non issue with that....

Alon, so that is where you have been...on the other site...ah...ok...so how do I get my link from your old site to the new one?

Lisa
--lisa

djarvik

Post Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:37 pm

just go to http://www.photoaday.net

You can join our "small" community there ;)

or just click on weblinks n the right menu, navigate to PAD galleries and click on "ADD a link" on top menu.

to all others: even if you do not wish to join the site, as a member, you can still submit your galley as a link there! After all, we have there people that are not afilliated with Pbase, that would love to take a look at your shots!
Just be advised, you can Add a listing, but if you want to modify it (let's say: change the title, or the description) you would need to register.

It's the the system works, can't do anything about it. :)

BTW - did I mentioon it doesn't cost a thing to join? I do not plan make money from the site, It's stricly a hobby!

Enjoy!
Alon

adalberto_tiburzi

Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:53 pm

Lisa is obviously right. I share her sickness about archive shots posted in the PaD.
Could be a solution if Slug explains what's the "Spirit of Pad" in the metagallery, what does it mean, its self-training side?
The expression "Photo-a-Day" may be clear and may not be clear, and since I haven't found on the site any explicit explanation about the meaning of PaD , ignorance could play an important role in this issue, I presume.
Have a nice week.
Regards,
8) Adal

gpaai

Post Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:45 pm

I think I got a taste of it this morning. I won't mention names, but it seems that there are some individuals posting two or more images a day, and making different galleries their PAD gallery each time in an attempt to merely expose their works.

A PADer changing an image on occasion is ok, but it seems some people are doing it intentionally for exposure.

If I'm wrong, I stand corrected...

Gary

polyvios

Post Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:58 pm

Maybe all we need is a couple of moderators! Users with the ability to un-relate certain galleries/users with the meta-gallery... I don't know much about code but it seems simple enough, there would be something like three types of users 1: the moderators 2: people that can have a PAD gallery in the meta-gallery 3: users that for some reason (like abusing the system) are no longer allowed to set any gallery as their pad gallery

hmmm second thought it doesn't seem that simple anymore! But I do agree that some sort of human moderation is needed. I say human because an automated process seems even more complicated...

marlene_p

Post Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:13 pm

Well 'm fairly new - only have had a gallery designated as a PAD since late March.

When I "joined" this group I joined it with the intention of putting up a "new" photo a day into this gallery. What makes it "new" isn't the shot date.

There is nothing written saying it must be a new shot taken on that specific day. From what I understood a PAD is a gallery that can only be uploaded into ONCE a day.

My Pad consists of shots taken by both my husband and I - and all the PS work is done by me. Some of the PS work is done on older photos from my files. The PS work is new - the shot isn't. (Sorry if that offends. It wasn't meant to offend, certainly there is no rule that I'm breaking!) Also, many of my daily shots have a theme threading them together. (I.e. several shots in a row of shots taken of the same place or of the same people.)

But daily photos none-the-less. The gallery is uploaded once daily (if I can! Some days not!!) Some of them end up being copied into other galleries - not taken <i> from </i>other galleries. (but I've noticed many of the PAD People do that.)

If ya'll want this group of PADs to be ONLY consiting of photography - fresh, newly taken shots - photography taken on or for each specific date, then I would have to bow out. But I believe it's a bit late to try and enforce that rule.

And of course a new rule such as that would make me pretty sad... :cry: Because for me, this gallery is what keeps my creative juices flowing. I believe my PAD keeps to the spirit of One Photo A Day.

Before I would ever consider bowing out I would of course like to hear what Slug would have to say.

Marlene

jypsee

attention complainers

Post Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:49 pm

Marlene,
The ridiculous discussion has been happening since the first days of the meta gallery that Slug created in Feb. I happened to have joined Pbase just after this momentous event and after a few day of fooling around with my galleries I scrolled down and noticed there was something called photo a day and I could choose to elect a gallery as such and so I did. Then I started reading the forum for PAd and, lo and behold, discovered that some of the gallery users were having the same kind of issues that you read here. The people who think they were the "real" PAD-ers were considering anyone who didn't fit what THEY decided were "the rules" were somehow illegal/deficient/pondscum....???? It's an insider-outsider issue and some seem to want an exclusivity that borders on pathology. I say if "others" bother a PAD gallery USER (emphasis on user), then do the brave thing and p-mail the "other" instead of coming here to huddle together for support and agreement.
Don't take this crap personally, Marlene. Some people just never get beyond the playground. I reiterate what I said in a prior discussion on this. Pbase is a business, not the country club.

jypsee in FL
http://www.pbase.com/jypsee/root

dwinge

Post Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:54 pm

This may seem a bit strange but I have to agree with everyone who has posted here so far, I certainly agree with Lisa that there are people abusing the gallery, I very much dislike when a person posts a shot obviously taken the same day and time every day for a week, that seems out of the spirit of Pad. I also agree with Lisa that basically the people who abuse the galley would not post in this forum. I agree with Gary very much, it irks me when people post multiple photos a day, once in awhile no biggie, but sometimes it seems like they get up to 6 or 7 in one day.

I agree with Alon, people who set their vacation at Wallyworld as their PaD gallery are not quite in touch with the spirit, I also agree with Adal, I think some are simply confused as to what PaD is. And I agree with Marlene, I don't think the actual shot date is critical as is posting something you are proud of, or just reworked or what have you, I could not post a different shot each day every day regardless of the quality, I am just not that much of a natural at this. Today I posted a shot taken Sunday to link to a gallery I made from a fair I attended over the weekend, to me this is still in the "spirit" of Pad, if not abiding by the letter of the law.

The only issue I have is with those who seem to not care about the "spirit" of Pad, I can't see that with the majority though, unless I'm not paying good enough attention.

mysticchyna

You ARe Correct

Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:32 am

gpaai wrote:I think I got a taste of it this morning. I won't mention names, but it seems that there are some individuals posting two or more images a day, and making different galleries their PAD gallery each time in an attempt to merely expose their works.

A PADer changing an image on occasion is ok, but it seems some people are doing it intentionally for exposure.

If I'm wrong, I stand corrected...

Gary

Yes, Gary that is some of what I'm talking about....and I've left messages for them to not do that....but what can ya do? -L
--lisa

Next

Board index PBase PaD Discussion I Hope I Don't Catch *too much* Crap For This....