Board index PBase PaD Discussion Any ideas for January 2015?

PaD Discussion

Any ideas for January 2015?

discuss photo-a-day projects
janicecd

Any ideas for January 2015?

Post Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:14 am

Anyone have a good idea for January's challenge???
Somethink about NEW? Resolutions?
Quoting Lynn: "Just keep in mind that we have members from all over, rural and city, north and south hemisphere, Spring and Fall."

And another idea I just read about:
How about trying to take a special photo each day for January - try to capture the day’s events in a single photo.
For example:
Perform photographic experiments.
Take a photo of someone new you meet, something you ate for the first time, or something you just learned how to do.
Take a photo of something that made you smile.
And don’t forget to take a photo of yourself at least once

I am open to suggestions from you all
Janice

travelingrabbit

Re: Any ideas for January 2015?

Post Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:10 pm

What about macro photography for January?

chrishadden

Post Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:47 pm

We have also had Monochrome in a January before now but both that and macro could be part of Janice's suggestion which gives lots of scope to those of us who live in "the back of beyond".

bdean

Post Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:34 pm

How about a Gratitude project to start out the New Year on a positive note? Show us something that you are grateful for.

lynnh

Post Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:39 pm

Janice, the second part of your suggestions sounds very much like a suggestion that Boris made in November and I liked the idea at the time. Photos that tell a story. This could also include Brenda's idea for Thankfulness and also cover the other topics, including using Macro.

We don't have to make it something complicated. A story doesn't have to be about the history of the restaurant but more about why you chose a particular salad for lunch. If it's a picture of a rainy day, you can tell us why you like / don't like rainy days. Or why you chose to take that particular photo in the first place? I thought it looked delicious. I thought it looked good in the fog. etc.

Quote from Boris in November –

Why not something like "Tell a story"

How many times have you had this interaction?

“This photo is beautiful!”

“Thanks!”

End of conversation.

There’s nothing wrong with this, of course. Beautiful is a great, great compliment. However, if you’ve ever wanted to have a longer conversation with a viewer about one of your photographs, then creating images with stories behind them, or around your own personal stories, can be a very important approach to try.

See Here: http://digital-photography-school.com/h ... ng-images/
Last edited by lynnh on Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost ~ J. R. R. Tolkien

janicecd

Post Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:57 pm

Im happy to go along with anything.
Boris' idea and macro and so are the other suggestions good.
Lynn I'll let you start it up. :)
Hope you all had / will have a happy New Year. It is 2015 already here in NZ

janicecd

Post Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:58 pm

travelingrabbit wrote:What about macro photography for January?

Good idea

travelingrabbit

Post Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:02 pm

Aren't good photos supposed to tell a story? We shouldn't have to give a narrative; the viewer should be able to read a story into the image. That is what we, as seasoned photographers, should be striving towards.... Macro is just macro (stories not often told there); but good candids can tell good stories. I'm all for story-telling images if we use Janice's idea.

lynnh

Post Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:12 am

I didn't convey the idea as well as I should have. We don't write a narrative, the photo tells a story. The article I attached discusses how to create images that allow the viewer to create a story or wonder about the story behind the photo. A hard concept for me to describe, but one we studied in photography classes and is used by the press.
I really suggest looking at that link called How to Improve your Photography with Storytelling Images. Here it is again
http://digital-photography-school.com/h ... ng-images/

I'm not joining the January challenge, Janice. I was just throwing out a suggestion for you all. I'll let you decide what you want to do. I'm taking a break.
Happy New Year.
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost ~ J. R. R. Tolkien

janicecd

Post Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:53 am

Sorry you won't be joining us this month Lynn - will miss you. But I hope we'll see you next month

So I'll look deeper into the above comments and try and work somnething out that suits most of us!! I'll get it up in the next hour!!

It's not easy getting everyone to agree on each month's challenge, but I know that I do have fun looking and thinking and clicking!!

Janice

Board index PBase PaD Discussion Any ideas for January 2015?