Board index PBase PaD Discussion THE LAST BACK TO BASICS CHALLENGE ~ HOLIDAY LIGHT BOKEH

PaD Discussion

THE LAST BACK TO BASICS CHALLENGE ~ HOLIDAY LIGHT BOKEH

discuss photo-a-day projects
lynnh

THE LAST BACK TO BASICS CHALLENGE ~ HOLIDAY LIGHT BOKEH

Post Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:49 pm

I think this is going to be the last B2B. In the beginning, I had 15 people who were interested in doing a technical challenge. But we haven't had more than 3 or 4 participating. Thanks to Tim and Scott for playing along, and to some of you who dropped in now and then. I never intended to keep this challenge going for more than a year anyway, because there are only so many Basic techniques and we've covered most of them.

So here is our final Challenge and I hope you'll think it is a fun one. I highly recommend you look at the link I supplied, or at least Google Christmas Light Bokeh to see all of the cool ideas available.

Back to Basics Informal Meet-up
Repeat after me: “I will not be a lazy photographer.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Beautiful Christmas Lights Bokeh Background

Another easy Challenge since we’re all so busy for the holidays. If you don’t have a Christmas tree you can still use a string of lights and set it up against a dark background.

Bokeh. Many people take it as referring to the out-of-focus area of a photograph, which can be impacted and enhanced by sources of light and color behind the subject.

Aperture Priority works best for these types of shots. To obtain the highest quality bokeh you can get, it is recommended that you set your aperture to the widest it will go.

For indoor and low light settings where you’ll use a slow shutter speed, you’ll want a tripod or good brace for your camera.

Set up your subject at least four to five feet in front of the Christmas lights. The farther away you place the subject, the better.

If you are not using a fixed lens, zoom your lens in all the way. Focus on your subject. Try to stay close to the subject, because if you are too away from it, your bokeh will suffer and appear smaller.

Please visit this website to see examples and get more tips. I think you’ll enjoy the results shown here! http://digital-photography-school.com/h ... -examples/

Your assignment ~

Take and post one or two holiday light bokeh photos (or more if you get some good ones!).
If you would like to discuss your experience, please do. We can learn from it.
Our goal is to get our best shot through the camera and not the computer, so please limit the amount of processing.
Commenting - lets try to give support to one another and point out what we like about the resulting photo(s).
If you have criticism, keep it constructive and hide the comment.

Deadline to post for this assignment is Saturday, January 3rd.
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost ~ J. R. R. Tolkien

chrishadden

Re: THE LAST BACK TO BASICS CHALLENGE ~ HOLIDAY LIGHT BOKEH

Post Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:24 pm

Thank you Lynn for your Herculean efforts with the B2B challenges, beyond the call of duty!

Christmas lights and my Christmas cake snowman make up today's attempt:

lynnh

Post Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:36 am

I got a few decent Holiday Bokeh shots this weekend. Here's one,

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost ~ J. R. R. Tolkien

chrishadden

Post Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:45 pm

Second attempt:
Chestnuts roasting in an open fire:

lynnh

Post Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:07 pm

Cropped bokeh lights

janicecd

Post Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:23 pm

Thanks Lynnfor your efforts - and when I remember to do the challenges I have enjoyed them

janicecd

Post Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:28 pm

Here's my second one:

Board index PBase PaD Discussion THE LAST BACK TO BASICS CHALLENGE ~ HOLIDAY LIGHT BOKEH