Board index PBase PaD Discussion BACK TO BASICS CHALLENGE 10 - SHOOT INTO THE SUN

PaD Discussion

BACK TO BASICS CHALLENGE 10 - SHOOT INTO THE SUN

discuss photo-a-day projects
lynnh

BACK TO BASICS CHALLENGE 10 - SHOOT INTO THE SUN

Post Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:53 pm

Back to Basics Informal Meet-up
Repeat after me: “I will not be a lazy photographer.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Learn the rules of photography—then break them!

Shoot Into the Light ~ Breaking the Rules to Get Artistic Lighting

Shooting with the light source behind you, so that the subject is illuminated from the front, is an oft-cited rule of thumb. But backlighting creates the opposite effect—and serves to separate the background from the subject in a way that can be quite dramatic.

When used correctly, flare can be a beautiful thing that adds romance and mystery to your images! Flare is also a great technique when you are in situations where the scenery isn’t ideal. The sign of a great photographer is being able to take a terribly ugly place and transform it into something magical just by using creative lighting.

PLEASE CLICK ON THIS LINK TO SEE SOME BEAUTIFUL, ARTISTIC EXAMPLES OF LENS FLARE ~ http://www.digital-photo-secrets.com/ti ... ens-flare/

Tips –
Focusing when you are shooting directly into the sun is close to impossible because you are asking your camera to do something that it’s not meant to do. Instead, use your hand to cover as much of the sun coming into your lens and use center focus aimed on your subject. Once you’ve locked focus, remove your hand, recompose, and shoot!

Or you can focus on the subject while it is blocking the sun. Lock focus and then step to the side, allowing the sun to show just off the edge of your subject. Don’t step too far if your aperture is set too low. A higher aperture in these situations allows you some wiggle room if you’re focus isn’t dead on.

Please view these 5 Tips for Achieving Artistic Lens Flare ~ http://digital-photography-school.com/5 ... re-how-to/

Safety Note - When the sun is concerned, always use appropriate sun protection (although it is difficult to wear sunglasses while looking through a viewfinder) and never ever look at the sun, not even through your lens. The camera may feel like a safety measure, but looking at the sun through the camera is just as dangerous.

This week’s assignment

Please post one or two photos with creative lens flare/backlit glow. We want to shoot into the light without making our subject a silhouette.

If you would like to discuss your experience, please do. We can learn from it.

Our goal is to get our best shot through the camera and not the computer, so please limit processing. If you shoot in raw, you may adjust your photos as necessary.

Commenting - lets try to give support to one another and point out what we like about the resulting photo(s).

If you have criticism, keep it constructive and hide the comment.

Deadline to post for this assignment is Saturday, September 27th.
Last edited by lynnh on Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost ~ J. R. R. Tolkien

lynnh

Re: BACK TO BASICS CHALLENGE 10 - SHOOT INTO THE SUN - End September 27th

Post Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:00 pm

One more thing - Let's try to promote our Challenge so we can get more participants. If you would please include a link to this challenge in the description under your posted photo. It can says something like "For more information, go to URL" or "To meet other challengers go to URL".
Thanks for the suggestion, Chris.
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost ~ J. R. R. Tolkien

travelingrabbit

Re: BACK TO BASICS CHALLENGE 10 - SHOOT INTO THE SUN - Ends September 27th

Post Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:20 pm

SUNNY:

Thanks to Lynn for suggesting I submit this image for the B2B Challenge! Hopefully I'll get myself back in the swing of participating in this worthy Challenge!

chrishadden

Post Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:35 am

A scary character in front of the light!

1designguy

Post Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:30 pm

For SP Friday and here...

timbg

Post Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:13 am

I posted a small gallery of shots; shooting into the sun.
http://www.pbase.com/timbg/in2sun
There are several effects I achieved shooting at the sun thru some trees (diffraction and some refraction due to atmosphere).
There is a reflection of the sun and several backlit images. There are many editing possibilities.

lynnh

Post Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:06 pm

Not quite right, because there is too much silhouette. I still have a couple days to find the right shot.

lynnh

Post Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:37 pm

My second try...

jolka

Re: BACK TO BASICS CHALLENGE 10 - SHOOT INTO THE SUN

Post Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:44 pm

janicecd

Post Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:24 am

Sorry - very late for this - Shooting into the sun

chrishadden

Post Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:31 am

I thought I'd have another go when I saw this lady a the castle window

Board index PBase PaD Discussion BACK TO BASICS CHALLENGE 10 - SHOOT INTO THE SUN