Board index PBase PaD Discussion BACK TO BASICS CHALLENGE 9 - BREAKING THE ACTIVE SPACE RULE

PaD Discussion

BACK TO BASICS CHALLENGE 9 - BREAKING THE ACTIVE SPACE RULE

discuss photo-a-day projects
lynnh

BACK TO BASICS CHALLENGE 9 - BREAKING THE ACTIVE SPACE RULE

Post Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:59 pm

Back to Basics Informal Meet-up
Repeat after me: “I will not be a lazy photographer.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Learn the rules of photography—then break them.
Breaking the Active Space Rule

While the conventional guidelines or ’rules’ provide an important framework, once you learn the basics, there are no limits to personal expression if you break those rules.

This week’s assignment

Rather than leave space in the frame for your subject to move into, as the active space rule suggests, try to do the opposite. Photographing your subjects moving out of, rather than into, the frame creates a sense of movement—and interest about what is being left behind.

See examples here http://digital-photography-school.com/i ... -subjects/

Suggestion: Hang back a little to give yourself a little more flexibility so you can crop in post processing.

As you master the non-active space rule, you’ll only improve your mastery of situations in which it’s best to just stick to the rules.

If you would like to discuss your experience, please do. We can learn from it.

Our goal is to get our best shot through the camera and not the computer, so please limit processing. If you shoot in raw, you may adjust your photos as necessary.

Commenting - lets try to give support to one another and point out what we like about the resulting photo(s).

If you have criticism, keep it constructive and hide the comment.

Deadline to post for this assignment is Saturday, September 13th.
Last edited by lynnh on Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost ~ J. R. R. Tolkien

cjphipps_servo

Re: BACK TO BASICS CHALLENGE 9 - BREAKING THE ACTIVE SPACE RULE - ENDS SEPT. 13TH

Post Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:08 am

(insert smile) I put together some pictures
taken in August that have figures
without space in which to move into (out of frame).
What do you think?

janicecd

Re: BACK TO BASICS CHALLENGE 9 - BREAKING THE ACTIVE SPACE RULE - ENDS SEPT. 13TH

Post Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:23 am

Here's my idea of "Breaking the Active Space Rule
And also shooting this through a car window in the rain!!!

chrishadden

Post Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:44 pm

I hope this falls within the 'rule' -

lynnh

Post Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:57 am

I have two shots. I had something in mind and have been looking for the right way to do it, but the opportunity didn't materialize. I still have till Saturday to do better.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost ~ J. R. R. Tolkien

jolka

Re: BACK TO BASICS CHALLENGE 9 - BREAKING THE ACTIVE SPACE RULE

Post Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:53 pm

Sorry, I forgot to post on time, though I had the photo ready several days ago :D

Board index PBase PaD Discussion BACK TO BASICS CHALLENGE 9 - BREAKING THE ACTIVE SPACE RULE