Board index PBase PaD Discussion WEEKLY CHALLENGES ENDED

PaD Discussion

WEEKLY CHALLENGES ENDED

discuss photo-a-day projects
amoxtli

WEEKLY CHALLENGES ENDED

Post Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:50 am

Dear Weekly Challenge Participants,

We took on the task of continuing the Weekly Challenge in April 2010. The challenge had been started by Lee and Bev in 2006, and we felt at the time we took over from them that it was something of interest to participants and that it would provide interaction, promote friendship and hopefully makes us better and more observant photographers.

Upon review and reflection we have come to the conclusion that the Weekly Challenge in its present form has run its course and it is time for us to put it to rest. Even though we have tried to keep the challenge topics interesting and fresh, participation has been decreasing to the point that we feel it is no longer sufficiently of interest for us to continue. Perhaps challenges have run their course on PBase as similar decreases in participation can be seen with the Monthly Challenges and the Show & Tell Contests. Perhaps a break is needed, or perhaps someone else has an idea for a different format for the challenge.

We would like to thank you for your participation and support in the 218 challenges we posted in the last four years and wish you all much enjoyment and fulfillment in your photographic endeavors.

All the Best,

Scott and Walter
Walter Otto Koenig Architectural Photography: http://www.wokoenig.net

General Photography: http://www.wokoenig.com

Pacific Photographic Society: http://www.pacificphoto.net

cits_4_pets

Re: WEEKLY CHALLENGES ENDED

Post Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:38 am

Thank you Walter & Scott for all all your hard work thinking of weekly challenges. Sometimes those challenges were the only reason I grabbed my camera as it gave me some inspiration to shoot.
Flo
Cits 4 Pets where Happy Pets Go with the Flo
http://www.pbase.com/cits_4_pets/
My Firefox Tthemes/skins for your web browser)

janicecd

Post Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:43 am

Thanks guys - I've joined in now and then, and it's been fun.
xxx
Janice

lynnh

Post Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:03 pm

Thank you for taking the time to keep this WIC challenge going for so long and I'm sorry to see it go... even though I joined it only now and then.

I've said this before, I personally would like to have a technical challenge on weekends. Actually, we should change it from a Challenge to an "online meet-up" of Pbasers.
We could chose to do very specific settings. Shot at 1/40 for example. Next week, shot at 1/100. To 2500. Then by aperture. Then both settings. Various ISO settings. These are settings on all cameras, so we don't have to worry about having a good lens or fuss about expensive equipment.

Normally, we photographers look at a subject and choose our setting. This challenge is to find the right subject for the prescribed setting. Learning in this way will refresh our lazy habits and give us a different learning experience. Maybe everyone could post their worst and their best shot, so we can see the lesson.

It doesn't have to go on and on for years, but I think it would be fun to try. Maybe even have it every two weeks so we can do it at our leisure.
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost ~ J. R. R. Tolkien

1designguy

Post Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:13 pm

When I looked back it was hard to believe that we had actually run this over 4 years. I will always value the community here.

sueymarky

Post Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:28 pm

Sorry to see this challenge end, as I did look forward to the topics.

I did notice the participation getting smaller lately.

I enjoyed all that participated and meet new Pbasers along the way.

1designguy

Post Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:15 pm

Here's a parting shot :-)

Thanks to all who have participated over the last four plus years.

clickaway

Post Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:19 am

Thanks to both of you for organising these challenges. Four years is a long time when you have a new one each week.

I think I only dabbled in these now and then - I am one who often likes to do his own thing but I do value anything that is part of the PBase community.

Ray

ckoi7lumiere

Post Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:13 am

Ohhhh, four years already?!!!
Can't believe it...
You did a fantastic work and i have to say i was not so much on Pbase
since quite a while. That is how life is. Noise and silence, shadow and light...
Thank you both guys... I feel a little pinch but i also feel part of a wonderful "family".
Merci....Thank You both xx

lien: http://www.pbase.com/image/132487002

timbg

Post Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:30 am

Thank you for the challenges. I did look forward to them. I participated in 169 of them (about 78%). I have noticed that participation has been dropping off lately. It may be partly due to the amount of time it takes to plow through a popular challenge and comment on most of the images. I have been doing this months monochrome PAD challenge (the first one I have done in some months) and there are very few participants; so you may be right in your analysis of the challenge drop off. There are also many more photo sharing websites than when I started with pbase in 2005.

Lynn had some good ideas. For the people who want to continue, there is no reason that the challenges be as formal as every week and always hosted by the same people. If you have an idea, post it. There will be times when a lot of people will participate and other times you will wonder if you are all alone on pbase!

Tim

lainesphotos

Post Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:45 am

Scott and Walter, thank you both for the great effort over the life of the challenge and anyone who took part over that time. It will be missed !!

emmelafoto

Post Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:12 am

Thanks guys!!

It was great fun to participate and I am sorry I wasn't able to, these last months.

travelingrabbit

Post Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:59 pm

I am so sorry to see the weekly challenges come to an end and want to thank Walter and Scott for their devotion and hard work over the past four years. You guys are great and came up with so many challenging ideas! So sorry that I haven't been able to participate as often as I'd have liked.

Lynn's idea sounds like a good one and I hope that this will become a reality!

Once again, Thank you Scott!!! Thank you Walter!

bdean

Post Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:23 am

Thank you, Walter and Scott, for putting these together for us over the years. I've enjoyed and grown through them and wish I had been able to do more. I'll miss it as it's become part of my weekly routine to at least read what the challenge is even if I know I don't have time to execute it. :wink:

I too like Lynn's idea.

jdonnelly

Post Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:49 pm

I guess it's true ...... "All good things must come to an end." I have thoroughly enjoyed the Weekly Challenge for the past 2 years that I've been here, not posting all the time but still, quite frequently. It's been a fun learning experience and many thanks go to Walter and Scott for all their efforts! I've met so many wonderful people here and I hope we can all continue to stay in touch. I do like Lynn's suggestion.

Cheers,
Janet

Next

Board index PBase PaD Discussion WEEKLY CHALLENGES ENDED