Board index PBase PaD Discussion February challenge 2013 Seeing Red

PaD Discussion

February challenge 2013 Seeing Red

discuss photo-a-day projects
chenchena

February challenge 2013 Seeing Red

Post Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:16 am

Red and purple are both colours of the rainbow spectrum, the red is on the outer part and purple on the inner side and yet they are very much related to each other as they can produce in a mix a various amount of colours.
Both red and purple are very hard to photograph, as their colours doesn’t always show up as perceived when you take the picture.
Shooting the colour red in direct sunlight can be difficult. Try to find some shade or gloomy weather and lower your ISO.
Red has more personal associations than any other colour. Recognised as a stimulant, red is inherently exciting and the amount of red is directly related to the level of energy perceived. Red draws attention and a keen use of red as an accent can immediately focus attention on a particular element.
Purple is a range of hues of colour occurring between red and blue
Purple embodies the balance of red's stimulation and blue's calm. This dichotomy can cause unrest or uneasiness unless the undertone is clearly defined, at which point the purple takes on the characteristics of its undertone. With a sense of mystic and royal qualities, purple is a colour often well liked by very creative or eccentric types and is the favourite colour of adolescent girls.
I found this informative website about colours in photography.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutor ... eory.shtml
I saw some fine examples of photo’s with these colours on the web, abstract, romantic, architecture, flowers etcetera. The meaning of this challenge is to capture pictures with the colour red or purple as a leading colour or colours what is a mix of red or purple with another colour.
A few rules / guidelines for the challenge:
Please do not dip in your archives! A challenge is about sharing and learning from each other.
Don’t forget to leave comments for other participants in the challenge. No posting only please, the challenge is about having fun and camaraderie, and to learn from other participants, so check out the images other participants post and comment on at least some of them.

(I had a discussion with Janice and Lynn, they both want to do their subject in an other month, that would have left us without a theme. I can delete this thread when nobody is interested or I shouldn't have done so)
Last edited by chenchena on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

borisalex

Re: February challenge 2013 Seeing Red

Post Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:05 am

I think this a great idea for this month. Is it not carnival time? There are many crazy people on the streets wearing reds and purple! :lol:

Mine for to start... :oops:

Gloomy weather...

Last edited by borisalex on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

janicecd

Post Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:18 am

Hi Mieke - thanks for starting this month's challenge - your notes are very interesting. I have a lot of trouble posting one of my red roses as the colour is NEVER true... It's a stunning red rose (Dublin Bay) and in my photos it always looks orange!!

And I know Lynne and I are are quite happy to postpone our suggestions for another month.

:D :) :D

janicecd

Post Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:43 am

I love this deep burgundy red lily

lynnh

Post Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:20 pm

Thank you Mieke! I am seeing red everywhere, I can't wait to start taking pictures for the challenge. Like Boris said, perfect for Carnival season and Valentines and it is also HEART Association month, here in the U.S. It is a way to remind people to take care of their heart health. And, Purple is my favorite color!

I will work on the list of Weekly Challenges so we can use it for the future. Also, I still like Janice's idea about adjectives too, so we should do that for a future challenge.
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost ~ J. R. R. Tolkien

lainesphotos

Post Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:34 pm

Because RED is my favourite colour I'm going to love this challenge Mieke

amoxtli

Post Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:22 pm

How about a Red Panda? :D

Walter Otto Koenig Architectural Photography: http://www.wokoenig.net

General Photography: http://www.wokoenig.com

Pacific Photographic Society: http://www.pacificphoto.net

lynnh

Post Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:58 pm

A snapshot of a morning television show. Today is Go Red day for Women's Heart Health.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost ~ J. R. R. Tolkien

chrishadden

Post Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:32 pm

#1 - my portion of my favourite chocolate bar Image shared with Pete!

Yum! Chris :D

lexis

Post Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:34 pm

:D

john_lamb

Post Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:08 pm

I see Red I see Red I see Red...................

http://www.pbase.com/image/148575743

kstuebin

Post Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:34 pm

I'm not sure how often I can participate but here is #1. The number may not correspond with the date. It does today. :)

tiggy

Post Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:44 pm

chenchena

Post Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:48 pm

My first contribution a nascent red rose

Mieke
A (wo)man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his/her life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful. (free to J.W. von Goethe)

Next

Board index PBase PaD Discussion February challenge 2013 Seeing Red