Board index PBase PaD Discussion Does Size Really Matter?

PaD Discussion

Does Size Really Matter?

discuss photo-a-day projects
gpaai

Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:56 pm

typicalsloan wrote:It kind stinks that one jerk of a moron can spoil things we enjoy sometimes.

This is true. I remember being a little self conscious the rest of the afternoon and probably missed many good shots as a result of it.
I love photoshopography.......

gordy

Re: Does Size Really Matter?

Post Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:31 pm

Obviously he was a "jerk". Sounds like he was put off by the fact that his GF asked you to take her picture!

There's an old quote out there.... "It's not the size that matters, it's how you use it!" :lol:
Gordy in MA, USA
Canon EOS Rebel T2i
Registered Photoshop CS5 user
NAPP member
PBase supporter

annayu

Post Sat Jun 12, 2004 1:59 pm

You should have taken a picture of him. Tell him you're collecting pictures for your gallery called "Bastards I have met"

jajlo

twigged a memory here

Post Sun Jun 13, 2004 5:15 am

Well.. when dealing with THOSE tudes...

This wasn't 'quite' the thread I was looking for/remembering from
DPReview.. but it's close....

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read. ... ge=7032139

here's the another article they mention in the post... http://www.luminous-landscape.com/colum ... 3-23.shtml

We may be amateur's, hobbyists & dreamers... but.. we get to have FUN, we get to play, and we don't have to worry about satisfying someone elses need/viewpoint. I took this, because "I" liked it. Hope you do too! Hmm.. rather a nice way to look at this PAD place eh? :wink: Much more heart & soul satisfying.

And AMEN on the camera equipment comments posted. I am/was very happy with my little A-40 point & shoot for 2 1/2 years.. I think I just wore it out... It's the composer behind the viewfinder that matters, not the viewfinder itself. ;D Heck, lots of times.. I've 'set up' a picture with PAD in mind.. and end up going with a spur of the 'moment' shot, that just happened.. Which I know has happened to everyone here, it seems. Just smile back and say yes, "I have a camera and I'm NOT afraid to use it."

gpaai

Re: twigged a memory here

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:08 pm

jajlo wrote:It's the composer behind the viewfinder that matters, not the viewfinder itself.

I have heard this so many times and tend to agree. Given the fact that there are so many ways to enhance with all of the post edit programs these days.

I got to wondering what this guy would have said if a pro like David Mendelsohn (my hero) would have been walking around that day with a small point and shot camera?

glynndesmond

Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:23 pm

yes size matter

matiasasun

Re: Size?

Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:15 pm

toddono wrote:As they say, "It's not the tool, but how you use it!"...

Yeah. Maybe it could be truth. Before Digital I used a Big camera, now I have an Olympus. Maybe i´m taking better pictures now and photoshop, well, could help me a lot. But standing in front a huge size camera does make us feel strange right?.

I live in Chile. Here Digital cameras are not very popular yet. Most people have the small Nikon models or those A40, A80 Canon models. Mine, even it has some years, looks bigger. And it Matters.

Anyway, at the end all this is about taking good shoots and making sense with our viewers. So, size matter but only at the beggining. At the end, even well know photographers with an incredible set of equipment taking imposible shoots can´t even create a small emotion in me. But a picture taken by a kid almost by accident does.
Matias, Chile - http://www.pbase.com/matiasasun
Resources, HOWTOs, Samples and more! - http://pbasewiki.srijith.net/

champa

Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:31 pm

gpaai wrote:I'm not sure if I should be letting this bother me or not but it does.

This past weekend I was at a local festival taking photos as were many other photographers. Yeah, there was the usual big guns, you know, the high end cameras w/lenses that stand out like Pinnocio's nose. As usual I was on location with my trusty ol' Olympus C-5060WZ.

As I was shooting into the crowd, a girl turned to me and said, "Do you want to take a picture of me?" Then proceeded to pose. I thought wow that was pretty cool of her.

But just then, her boyfriend turned from a booth he was standing at to see who his GF was talking to. He was wearing a strap around his neck that was supporting what was obviously a professional camera and lens, (I didn't look at it as I wouldn't even let on that I thought it was impressive.)

All of a sudden the guy begins to laugh as he looks at my camera and says, "Oh my God, another wannabe!"

Well, I just continued on, not wanting to start anything. But I thought, what a jerk.

I don't want to believe for a moment that high end camera owners all have that attitude. When the day comes that I do decide to invest, I never want to forget my beginnings. Besides, I believe my Olympus has turned out some pretty quality shots, though it may be smaller than what a lot of individuals are carrying around.

I know this really isn't PAD related, but I really needed to get it off my chest. (Hmmm, maybe we need a b*tching topic area on this forum.) :D

Gary

Gary,
Size matter not at all...it is what you are seeing, compostion of forms and colors do matters...this person is most likely just have a camera just to boost his ego not for his photos...Everyday when I browse through pbase, the best photo that I like are not with the most expensive cameras/lenses money can buy...so brush it off, he is not worth your worry.
regards,
c

sloopsailor

My take on this

Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:30 pm

If he thinks equipment makes the photographer then he is damn poor one!

matiasasun

Re: My take on this

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:34 am

sloopsailor wrote:If he thinks equipment makes the photographer then he is damn poor one!

Note: Size and Equipment (functions, possibilities) are not related. Some Nikkon cameras are smaller than mine but have much more functions and stuff. Seems that that technological developement is called "miniaturization"...
Matias, Chile - http://www.pbase.com/matiasasun
Resources, HOWTOs, Samples and more! - http://pbasewiki.srijith.net/

sloopsailor

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:35 pm

matiasasun wrote:
sloopsailor wrote:If he thinks equipment makes the photographer then he is damn poor one!

Note: Size and Equipment (functions, possibilities) are not related. Some Nikkon cameras are smaller than mine but have much more functions and stuff. Seems that that technological developement is called "miniaturization"...

True- but I think most people realize a good photographer can work with a cheap disposable camera and come up with good shots as long as the optics are good.

Equipement makes a job easier, they don't make a photographer better.

matias asun

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:52 pm

sloopsailor wrote:Equipement makes a job easier, they don't make a photographer better.

... that´s another issue. Look at the responses I got triying to discuss what could be "better to see"... http://forum.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?t=4766&highlight= . But you´re right; the machine does not make the artist. I remember having post this story: A great Photoman, Luis Poirot, make an exposition in chilean most important art museum; after a lot of impressive-amazing pictures, there was a simple sheet from a copybook that sayd: "this is a picture of Dali" (I think it was Dali). Doesn´t matter; the point is that this guy, a well know photographer, found that picture so amazing (but didn´t have a camera to shoot it) that he used his eyes and his memory... And he convince me.

gpaai

Re: Size?

Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:55 pm

matiasasun wrote:But standing in front a huge size camera does make us feel strange right?.

I kind of know what you mean, (and this may just be me) by this statement.

I was at a skate park this past weekend with my C-5060 trying to get a few shots in of skaters doing tricks with their skateboards and rollerblades. I just felt intimidated by the photographers there with their 10D's, D1's, and extended lenses.

It was upsetting as well to see the riders with more experience flocking to the ramps where the bigger cameras were. Apparently I guess they (the riders) thought if there was a chance their picture would make a magazine, it would be by one of the photographers with a big camera. This has been brought on by all the images they see in their favorite magazines of photographers with huge lenses shooting their favorite skaters.

Gary

corvidae

Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:14 am

shaun wrote:It's not the camera. It's the photographer.

Absolutely. For years I caught crap from my brother for not (bankrupting myself) having the "best" of everything. I just had FUN. And that's how I learned.

My brother's $$$ camera sits around most of the time. I take pictures. Sorry, it's probably been oversaid, but anyone callow enough to make a remark like that probably <i><u><b>is</b></u></i> compensating.

cjmorgan

Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:42 am

Here's a story for you Gary...

Shooting weddings for a number of years, it was bound to happen
that I'd eventually run into guests who had better equipment than
I do -- you know, the doctors and lawyers or whoever that can
afford to get their new toys each year.

And some of them would strut their stuff with an air about them
which almost said "Look at me -- I have better camera
gear than even the PRO has!!"

And over the years, I've learned to just quietly smile at them.

But inside, what I quietly think to myself is... "You might have the
bigger or newer camera, but I'm willing to bet that at the
end of the day, I'll be the one who walks away with the
better images."

And so I never find myself at odds with whatever gear anybody
else has. Indeed, these days, sometime I even take great pride
and strut around like a peacock not with my big camera, but
rather just with my seemingly non-serious little Elph...

Because the thing is that even with that little camera, I'm still
pretty sure that I'll probably come home with better images
than those doctors and the lawyers (or whoever) with their
"big guns."

So there you have it: from where I sit, size doesn't matter....
.... or at least not as much as just making good images.

Know what I mean?

CJ
http://www.pbase.com/cjmorgan/canon_s500

PreviousNext

Board index PBase PaD Discussion Does Size Really Matter?