Board index PBase PaD Discussion I'm leaving the PAD family :(

PaD Discussion

I'm leaving the PAD family :(

discuss photo-a-day projects
areid

I'm leaving the PAD family :(

Post Thu May 20, 2004 9:19 pm

It looks like I am going to fall well short of my PAD goals, so I am going to bring it to an end. I enjoyed doing it most days, but found between work and being a husband and father I just didn't have the time to turn out pics they way I wanted them on a regular basis. Too many times I had to shoot something just to keep the string going and that's not why I started my PAD gallery. It was becoming more work than play to come up with a great shot every day and that was no fun. The last thing I want is my hobby to become a chore.

I can't thank each of you who left a kind comment throughout the last 5 months enough.

I plan on rearranging my galleries and starting some new projects when I get a chance. I will still look in on the PAD galleries and watch as each of you continue to amaze me with your skills and abilities to keep your projects going. I know first hand just how tough that is.

I hope you'll still visit some of my other galleries. Thanks so much, it's been a fun ride.

Allen
http://www.pbase.com/areid

ziggers

Post Thu May 20, 2004 10:34 pm

Oh Allen, this is sad news indeed, but I totally understand. It's HARD doing this!! I've thought now twice about giving up.

Enjoy being a wonderful husband and father! If you decide to start your PAD gallery back up, I know you'll be welcomed with open arms again :)

jillburhans

Post Thu May 20, 2004 11:33 pm

Ditto!

coastalva

Post Fri May 21, 2004 1:18 am

don't leave . . just modify :idea: . . . . make it a picture almost a day or day and a half . . . . .or a week . . . .or even a month . . or maybe a picture occasionally

shaun

Post Fri May 21, 2004 3:00 am

Mmmm, sad to hear that Allen. I think of it like this.... Even in the most mundane situation, creativity can live. Taking 10 or 15 minutes out of your day to feed the creative animal within is worth the effort. That's just my thoughts. But, then I'm speaking as a single guy with no kids....
Priorities are priorities, we all have different priorities in life & I certainly respect yours.

With Kindest Regards,

Shaun Lowe
shaunlowe@eastlink.ca
http://www.pbase.com/shaun

areid

Thanks.

Post Fri May 21, 2004 5:14 am

Thank you for the encouragement. I agree, I could find a small amount of time in the day to keep the streak going. I just don't think I could do what I really want to do that way. I'm my own worst critic when it comes to my photos and don't like it when I have to take a shot just beat the self imposed deadline of midnight. I've found myself dong that a bit too much lately.

One of the main reasons I started the PAD gallery was to force myself to use and learn my new camera. Shooting daily has helped me learn a lot, but I still have a long way to go. I also want spend more time learning the ins and outs of photoshop.

Thanks again!

allen
http://www.pbase.com/areid

i_fly

Post Fri May 21, 2004 12:11 pm

Hello Allen

Sad to read this, as I have enjoyed your PAD psotings, as well as your kind comments on my work.

Hope you have benefitted from you effort so far, - that was and is the main issue of doing this, as well as having fun. I agree with you, this should not be a burden, so everyone has to decide when to continue and when to stop.

I got the feeling that this is an intermission rather than full stop , so I hope to wake up one day seeing you up and running again.

In the meantime - Have fun in whatever you'll be doing

Happy Shooting !!!

lord_of_the_badgers

Post Fri May 21, 2004 8:10 pm

yeah don't be daft mate. like others say, you don't HAVE to take it literally surely. Post when you can instead. no one will hate you for it!
that said, I am taking it literally at the moment. I've started my proper gallery at last.. been doing it a massive 3 days, so 5 months impresses me!!

arjunrc

Post Fri May 21, 2004 11:10 pm

Hello, reading the above posts, it seems like most people (all people ?) dont really mind if a PADer cannot take a photo per day.
My original impression was that unless you dont post a photo a day, you may well get flamed by folks for not being a pad-der. Is this not true ? I always wanted to join but due to my frequent travelling need for my job was never sure I could do it. PAW seems certainly doable (-a-week)

So... are PAWers accepted ? :-)
regds
arjun

dazedgonebye

Flaming

Post Sat May 22, 2004 12:43 am

I've never seen anyone flamed, at least not publicly, by any PaD'r. There are no requirements and you can play by any rules you like. I've not kept the strictest rules for myself.
On the other hand. I know that if you are not perceived as having a daily commitment, you will not get the views and comments that you might otherwise enjoy. Some people might even resent if you use up the PaD meta-gallery for images that are clearly not PaD.
As far as reprecussions go, the worst I've even heard threatened is ignoring.
We're a friendly group after all.

lord_of_the_badgers

Post Sat May 22, 2004 8:26 am

i really think we shouldn't worry too much. plenty of us will stick hard to the spirit. i can see a time when it'll be too hard to remember for myself to keep up, but we'll see

Arjun.. go for it mate.. doesn't bother me. one of my galleries was a Pad for ages before i realised what it really meant!!! i just thought.. "what's this link here...?" and nothing more of it!

jabraham

Re: I'm leaving the PAD family :(

Post Sat May 22, 2004 6:56 pm

areid wrote:Too many times I had to shoot something just to keep the string going and that's not why I started my PAD gallery. It was becoming more work than play to come up with a great shot every day and that was no fun.

I have no hope of taking a good picture every day -- as you say, too many other responsibilities. But I do have some hope of *uploading* a good and/or relevant picture every day. I can find a picture that strikes me that day, maybe taken recently or maybe even a very old one, and scan/crop/adjust it and write a comment on it.

I resisted joining the PaD crowd because I knew I wouldn't be out there with the camera every day. But I do *look* at my pictures every day, so as of a couple of days ago I've jumped on the bandwagon.

Maybe you want to try it?

John Abraham
http://www.pbase.com/jabraham

bish0p

Post Tue May 25, 2004 3:05 am

Hopefully you can reconsider allen,

For the last three weeks I have worked almost 250 hours, spent time with my wife and three kids... and still took and uploaded a picture everyday.

For me it was more about the disipline of carrying the camera with me, and snapping as many photos through out the day as as I could... Some of the days that was one picture, and some of those where forced, but I still found something. Other days people and things around me gave me many things to shot.

Also no one here is going to jump on you if you miss a day, a week, a month, etc...

When I started my PAD gallery there where large gaps and people still viewed, and commented on images when I had the time to post them..

I have also learned something about critiquing your own images, a couple of weeks ago I was on a photo course in Banaff National park up here in Alberta. There where 4 of us that really gelled. When it was time to submit our photo's for judging we all hated the photo's we submitted. between the four of us we won the lion's share of the prizes. As a photographer we do not know how our images will move others, we can only hope that it will move them in some way.

James

jfender

Say it ain't so!

Post Wed May 26, 2004 3:14 pm

Allen,

No matter what you ultimately decide, know that your pictures are good. Know that they have touched others. Know that you will be missed if you do decide to back away.

I so totally hear you about this not becoming a burden. Like you, working full-time, being a wife and a mother, taking care of the house, the dogs, the THINGS that have to get attention every day can really get in the way. THIS is supposed to be enjoyable. If its not, then it may be time to refocus. I'm currently without a my digital, after being without my computer for a time. So, my gallery is a bit spotty :lol: I haven't been "flamed" nor criticized. And people are still looking and commenting when I do manage to get something uploaded.

So, that's my two cents on the subject. You're still in my favorite's list and I'll be keeping tabs.

Joy
Joy
Multi-tasking - Screwing everything up simultaneously.
--- Anon

jeanb

Post Wed May 26, 2004 10:19 pm

Which is why my gallery is now called 'A photo a Day - or not' :-)

Next

Board index PBase PaD Discussion I'm leaving the PAD family :(