Board index PBase PaD Discussion I'm leaving the PAD family :(

PaD Discussion

I'm leaving the PAD family :(

discuss photo-a-day projects
dr_cabbie

Add me to the PAD...or not!

Post Thu May 27, 2004 12:49 am

LOL...oh my gosh have I hit a wall. I've found myself rather tired as we're approaching the end of the school year with the kids...and have found myself choosing to veg on a couch as opposed to trying to meet my personal concept of PAD.

I have to say, my own choice to sit back and not take a picture has made me admire those people who've really stuck to the timeline. Fantastic! Bravo!!

Now...don't mind me while I go take a nap...lol!

marlene_p

Post Thu May 27, 2004 4:22 am

Well, I for one haven't been the best at uploading a picture a day! I just refuse to be discouraged though. So the key here is, try not be be hard on yourself.

I started my PAD the end of March. There have been days when I've been unable to get online so I knew it was going to be a challenge! On my PAD site I wrote that "I'm going to give it my best to upload a picture everyday, be it old or new or some type of digital art creation." And so that's what I do, I give it my "best shot" (excuse the pun!) and I pat myself on the back if I do it everyday.

This summer I'll be traveling a lot and not able to upload everyday but I'll be taking pictures that I plan to upload.

Was wondering, I've pictures in my other galleries that I would love to "revive" - perhaps posting to my PAD as a favorite. An "oldie but a goodie" sort of thing. Would that upset anyone?

But then, I've never minded watching reruns of my favorite TV shows... :wink:

Marlene

areid

Post Thu May 27, 2004 5:36 am

Thanks again for more of your nice comments, both public and private.

Again, I could easily continue taking photos each day, but they weren't photos I liked taking. A good example would be this one: http://www.pbase.com/image/28766337

Even though I did receive a few nice comments on it I hated it. I hated the photo because it was another "last minute-what can I come up with" kind of shot. I want to do something with a little more substance to it.

I almost feel guilty saying I don't miss taking a PAD as much as I thought I would. I still enjoy and envy all of the work each of you put into yours.

allen

marlene_p

Post Thu May 27, 2004 2:35 pm

We can be our own worse critics at times!

Allen, if it isn't fun and you aren't liking what you do then you should absolutely stop. And without regret!

You said ,
"Even though I did receive a few nice comments on it I hated it. I hated the photo because it was another "last minute-what can I come up with" kind of shot. I want to do something with a little more substance to it. "

I have been there done that with my art. When I was a student forced to come up with an assignment there were times I absolutely hated my projects! Hated them! But interestingly, looking back at some of my work now I can see how the pressure forced by time constraits with limitations and boundaries produced some very quality creations.

Still, my favorites of course were things I did for the love it.

That's why I didn't make a deal with myself when I started to just shoot a picture because I needed one for the day. My deal is to try and be creative everyday...my PAD keeps me on track. :)

Marlene

floradoragirl

Post Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:26 am

I understand this pretty well at the moment. I called my PaD Daily Discipline" because I knew it would be an effort to take a picture every day...but I don't think I really understood how much effort. At first it was quite easy because everyone is so welcoming and encouraging but after a while it starts to be more of an effort. I've "cheated" on two occasions, once by mistake but once because I just couldn't face getting the camera out, finding a subject, downloading it, sorting the images out, choosing, uploading, writing....it's seriously not just "15 minutes to be creative". It's a lot more than that. I'm sticking with it though, because I find it satisfying to look back and read my year so far - it feels like a real body of work although it's not all particulalry good. But then, I'm not a particularly good photographer, so it's hardly surprising. What has slipped for me is the time I can spend looking at other people's work and commenting. And that's a real shame, because so much of the work shown here is awe-inspiring and beautiful, there are some nights I just can't bear to look at the computer another minute!

I'm glad you're not missing the PaD'ing and hope that when you do get out there with your camera now, you're really enjoying it. :D

jamescaton

Post Sat Jul 10, 2004 4:47 pm

I am considering joining the PaD family, but I have one big question. What do you do when you are on vacation? I don't have a laptop. Can you post a week in advance in that situation? I want to try it, it seems like an interesting burden.

Jim

djarvik

Post Sat Jul 10, 2004 5:02 pm

You either post after you come back, or just put up an image saying that from so and so date you will be on vacation.

I don't think it's a good Idea to post in advance :)

Alon Brik
http://www.photoaday.net

mysticchyna

Flaming

Post Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:00 pm

arjunrc wrote:Hello, reading the above posts, it seems like most people (all people ?) dont really mind if a PADer cannot take a photo per day.
My original impression was that unless you dont post a photo a day, you may well get flamed by folks for not being a pad-der. Is this not true ? I always wanted to join but due to my frequent travelling need for my job was never sure I could do it. PAW seems certainly doable (-a-week)

So... are PAWers accepted ? :-)
regds
arjun

The flaming is not for those that skp days when they can't do a pic a day litterally, but more for those who just post a bunch of snapshot that are clearly not PAD, and or CONSISTANTLY post year and two year old pics and call it a pic a day.
My Eyes R My Camera....I behold the world within my lens..........
--lisa

gordy

Post Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:05 pm

Just because you can't do it every day doesn't mean you have to leave. PaD means posting a picture for that day. So what if you miss a few!
8)
Gordy in MA, USA
Canon EOS Rebel T2i
Registered Photoshop CS5 user
NAPP member
PBase supporter

Previous

Board index PBase PaD Discussion I'm leaving the PAD family :(