Board index PBase PaD Discussion Alien Bees and the Canon 10D.

PaD Discussion

Alien Bees and the Canon 10D.

discuss photo-a-day projects
tonybun

Alien Bees and the Canon 10D.

Post Sun May 09, 2004 12:22 am

Is there anyone out there using the 10d with Alien Bee lights? I have some questions and would like to speak with you by phone. Please email me at tonybun2001@yahoo.com

Thanks!

shemszot

Using Alien Bees with the 10D

Post Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:22 pm

Hi,

We (studioEPIC) use the Alien Bees with the Canon 10D. We own two B800, and use them in our studio. Here is a sample photo shoot from last night, we were taking pre-wedding pictures for a couple.

http://www.studioepic.com/Galleries/Ania_&_Piotrek_Web_Gallery/

The Alien Bees are rated at 320 WS, but have a very high luminoscity of 7000ls. Which means that the BURST is very bright. If you are planning on using them in a small-medium studio the B400 will be definitelly sufficient. We usually use them at 1/16 or 1/32 of top power (4 or 5 F-Stops down). You can triger the bees using that supplied cable, which plugs directly onto the 10D (it actually works with the entire EOS line, 20D, D30, D60, 1D, 1Ds, 1Ds MarkII and 1D Mark II.

You can also triger the lights using the build in photo sensor. However keep in mind that the EOS line has ETTL or ETTL 2, which means it will fire two shots. The first shot meters the scene while the shutter is closed. This first firing of the flash will triger the lights, and the second flash will open the shutter, at which point the Studio Flashes are already done firing, yielding no light. I.E. you end up with a black scene. To triger the bees using the photo sensor slave, you will have to turn your flash to manual mode ( non-ETTL, single firing).

Hope this helps.. if you need more info email me.

Board index PBase PaD Discussion Alien Bees and the Canon 10D.